• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Sleep aids?

Zissou

Banned
If its not too invasive, what are you guys using for work?

My last Doc had us on Provigil and Ambien CR w/ Halcion.

Just wondering if you guys were still using the Brown Bomber?

MiniGuns

I used to have insomnia from being nervous for my next mornings brief. Try a few benadryl and oxycontin washed down with a necastle. Works every time like a charm.:icon_tong (disclaimer....J/K...don't actually do this!)

Of Course I wouldn't do that I hate Newcastle.

MiniGuns

I appreciate all the input, I basically need to make sure the doc doesn't think I have some underlying medical issue and I shouldn't have to many issues taking something. Oh, and Pickle my wife already tied her tubes, but damn I might get cut too, just to make sure we can't have anymore kids.

LOSLOAR

don't bring your coffee to FOD walk
No, from what I've gathered, it's not habit forming. They're giving it to a few of my friends that are dealing with a little PTSD. They said they used it for a while until they got they're stuff together and came off it fine. Example: A very good friend of mine who was a prior enlisted corpsman was diagnosed with PTSD after coming back and was prescribed it. This was before his NAMI physical and all that. He still takes it today, no questions, no problems.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
I appreciate all the input, I basically need to make sure the doc doesn't think I have some underlying medical issue and I shouldn't have to many issues taking something. Oh, and Pickle my wife already tied her tubes, but damn I might get cut too, just to make sure we can't have anymore kids.

Lucky Bastard...my balls still hurt.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
Does Tricare cover vasectomies, or will I have the dual ignominy of losing my balls AND being charged for it?

Not that I want to drydock my balls or anything. I'm just asking, you know, for a friend. . .

MiniGuns

Just as long as you have kids the government will float the bill to get snipped. But they won't do it if you don't have 2 kids I believe. Maybe just one but not 100% sure.

:icon_smil :icon_smil

:shake_125 :shake_125

:splat_125 :splat_125

skillz

I get it at Rite Aid, they stock it on the shelf by the Tylenol PM.

To clarify, when my alarm goes off, I immediately say "dammit," and I'm groggy for about 3 minutes. Beyond that, I'm all set.

+1....2 Tylenol PMs about an hour before you plan on going to sleep is all you need. No need for all that prescription stuff.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Does Tricare cover vasectomies, or will I have the dual ignominy of losing my balls AND being charged for it?

Not that I want to drydock my balls or anything. I'm just asking, you know, for a friend. . .

they cover vascectomies...they didn't ask me about my number of kids, just wanted to know if I was "really sure" I wanted to do this and made me sign a waiver saying my wife wouldn't show up on the doctors doorstep with a tire iron demanding my jizz back.
:blindfold

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
+1....2 Tylenol PMs about an hour before you plan on going to sleep is all you need. No need for all that prescription stuff.

While I appreciate the acknowledgement, you're missing my point. Tylenol PM gives me a massive "hangover" and I have issues with being groggy in the am. I understand this isn't an issue for everyone, but it's worth mentioning.

I've also had Ambien, and I don't like it. I've woken up in bed, talking to imaginary people (disconcerting, to say the least), and the hangover was just as bad. Your mileage may vary.

The product I was recommending, Midnite, is all natural and doesn't leave you in the "fog." You can also take it in the middle of the night, and still wake up ready to go.

I don't mean to sound like a commercial, but as a lifelong insomniac, this stuff has been a huge help, especially given my current schedule (up early, working late).

Also, to reiterate, if you are on flight status, don't risk it.

schwarti

Contributor
Ambien can definitely screw with you. I took it for about a week some years ago... one night, at around 0100, I woke up with the urge to check my email on my cell phone. (I've never done that, I have no idea how to do it, and I don't think my phone could do it anyway). The next morning I woke up, phone in hand, with Twisted Sister's "I Wanna Rock" set as my ringtone. I still don't remember downloading it, and I'd never even had the remotest urge to have my phone make any noise at all. Strange stuff.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
So you're saying that Dee was in your dreams??

snider.jpg

skillz

While I appreciate the acknowledgement, you're missing my point. Tylenol PM gives me a massive "hangover" and I have issues with being groggy in the am. I understand this isn't an issue for everyone, but it's worth mentioning.

I've also had Ambien, and I don't like it. I've woken up in bed, talking to imaginary people (disconcerting, to say the least), and the hangover was just as bad. Your mileage may vary.

The product I was recommending, Midnite, is all natural and doesn't leave you in the "fog." You can also take it in the middle of the night, and still wake up ready to go.

I don't mean to sound like a commercial, but as a lifelong insomniac, this stuff has been a huge help, especially given my current schedule (up early, working late).

Also, to reiterate, if you are on flight status, don't risk it.

yeah, definitely missed your point on that one....you must be a light weight (j/k).....really though, I've never had a problem, or felt groggy the next day...the worst thats ever happened was having to be at work at 0630 and waking up at 0745...probably had something to do with the two Captain and Cokes I washed the Tylenol PM down with :D.....

alwysfaith

AV-8B Harrier Pilot's Wife
Awesome, though do you know if that is habit forming? I for one wouldn't want to start something that I couldn't finish, just because my sleep schedule gets messed up occasionally (skeds induced or otherwise)

I have frequent trouble sleeping from what I can figure stress and anxiety. I was taking 2 benadryl every night when I decided to ask the doctor about it. Most of the sleep aids available now by prescription are more "cleaned up" than those before. Less side effects and less risk of dependency. Although from what I've read the change of physical dependency on them is very very slim. Any dependency you might experience is mostly psychological- you think you need it when you don't. So addictive personalities may have troubles.

Benedryl works for me, two of them, and its non habit forming, but it does leave you feeling pretty snowed in the morning. When I was in the worst of my insomnia a couple months ago I tried Melatonin, then melatonin with benedryl- obviously the melatonin wasn't working well for me. I'm really curious about this Midnite though. I had heard of it, and thought it too good to be true.

Right now I take Lunesta, and my only complaint is that its expensive! It works well most nights- no real side effects aside from that "unpleasant taste in your mouth" they talk about on the commercials. Just tastes like you've been licking a bar of soap. No weird dreaming, just occasional normal ones.

I've taken Sonata once before too, and older generation med, and that stuff made me wig out and hallucinate. So its different for every body.

I commend the Navy on figuring out that their pilots, while they are badass studs, are not machines and they need sleep.