• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Single Seater or 2?

BrittO

pilot
Hey all, just about to finish advanced and am trying to get perspectives on the pros and cons of having a back seater in either the baby or rhino. I know Im not guranteed my preference out of advanced but any unbiased info would be great. Thanks

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hey all, just about to finish advanced and am trying to get perspectives on the pros and cons of having a back seater in either the baby or rhino. I know Im not guranteed my preference out of advanced but any unbiased info would be great. Thanks

There was a great thread on this very topic a couple weeks ago - search away.

Brett

Squid

F U Nugget
pilot
navy i assume since you said rhino. no two seat legacy hornets. the only way you would even have a choice of single vs 2 seats is if you go rhino.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You could always go for broke and select FOUR seats . . .:D

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
You could always go for broke and select FOUR seats . . .:D

Soon to be two...:D

I'd love to hear from some of you single seaters about why you wanted to be single seaters. I can understand that there would be a great sense of accomplishment etc...from completing a mission alone...but was that why? Did you want the legacy Hornet?

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
Soon to be two...:D

I'd love to hear from some of you single seaters about why you wanted to be single seaters. I can understand that there would be a great sense of accomplishment etc...from completing a mission alone...but was that why? Did you want the legacy Hornet?

There is a single seat Rhino...

airgreg

low bypass axial-flow turbofan with AB driver
pilot
There are pluses and minuses to each.

I wanted single seat because I was advised by some senior guys I respected to go that way. Some of their reasons were: fulfillment, the hornet can accomplish 99% of its missions (to varying degrees of success) single seat, it may provide a more cohesive squadron environment or comraderie (everyone is on the same page/mindset), it suited my personality (I don't like it when people "jump in my cockpit"), and I tend to do better and have better SA without the extra dialogue and being able to control everything.

I wanted Charlie's because of the legacy/history, being exempt from IFR missions (more tactical flying), a probably inaccurate perception of having a earlier chance to transition to the JSF, a chance to go to the RAG in the Whale's Vagina, and because of the guarantee of single seat.

Again, there are pluses and minuses to each. I'll let someone more knowledgeable speak to their reasons for the Rhino. After flying about 100 hours in the C, I will admit that the biggest negatives to Charlies are that it would be nice to fly newer jets, to not have to read some of the recurring Charlie Hazreps due to the jet's fatigue/age, and to have someone padlock the bandit for me.

In the end, I think we're comparing apples to apples, and that most people would sh!t a brick to get in either jet.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
. . . perspectives on the pros and cons of having a back seater in either the baby or rhino. . . .
It all depends. If you believe your military flying career will be confined to being with a mostly unopposed flying club, then single-seat is the most obvious, enjoyable, and correct choice.

However, if you ever anticipate flying into heavily contested airspace, and into any real harm's way, with your life surely on the line, then the two-man-crew is the only way to go.

A long time ago - and for a number of interesting and valid reasons - the Army learned that the 2-man foxhole was far superior to the single-man foxhole, in all respects.

In war – be it on the ground or in the air – the dual crew will most always outperform, and be more likely to survive, than the lone, single-seat warrior.

You'se 'pays' your monies and you'se takes your chances.

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
I had a peer a few years back say in a conversation that he loved flying in F/A-18D’s because all he had to do is worry about aviating; the WSO did the navigating & communicating. All he had to do was “join up and shut up”.

Along those same lines, about 6-7 years ago, a MAG-31 CO did a pilot swap with a single seat squadron (312) and a two seat squadron (533). It was brought about, iirc, when the MAG CO flew a jet, borrowed from another squadron, out to visit 533 on a det and one of the junior pilots from 533 was scheduled to fly the jet back to BFT. Someway, shape, or form, the MAG CO found out that the junior pilot did not want to fly the jet back because he did not feel comfortable flying without a WSO.

So my question is does flying single seat make you a better overall pilot versus a two seat pilot? Of course those are only two examples that I threw out but I would say yes, at least for your first fleet tour after the RAG. Anybody care to opine?

S/F

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
There is a single seat Rhino...

Yes...there is no two seat legacy* however...which was my point.

*In the Navy operational Hornet squadrons (USMC operates F/A-18D) Mod note

Thanks mods...little narrow minded of me...

Lawman

None
I had a peer a few years back say in a conversation that he loved flying in F/A-18D’s because all he had to do is worry about aviating; the WSO did the navigating & communicating. All he had to do was “join up and shut up”.

Along those same lines, about 6-7 years ago, a MAG-31 CO did a pilot swap with a single seat squadron (312) and a two seat squadron (533). It was brought about, iirc, when the MAG CO flew a jet, borrowed from another squadron, out to visit 533 on a det and one of the junior pilots from 533 was scheduled to fly the jet back to BFT. Someway, shape, or form, the MAG CO found out that the junior pilot did not want to fly the jet back because he did not feel comfortable flying without a WSO.

So my question is does flying single seat make you a better overall pilot versus a two seat pilot? Of course those are only two examples that I threw out but I would say yes, at least for your first fleet tour after the RAG. Anybody care to opine?

S/F

Wow... great way to operate proffesionally :banghead_

Seriously what was this guys plan should he ever have a situation where his WSO is put out of action and he needs to bring back the aircraft on his own from who knows where. I thought the whole point of being "Aircraft Commander" was that you had at least a basic understanding of how everything works. Hey we dont need that Navigation part, thats his job is a lousy attitude for anybody in aviation to have.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
The recent USAF F-16 crash in Iraq that killed the pilot has now been attributed to pilot fixation on the target during a strafing pass resulting in a CFIT.

This happens significantly more often in single seat aircraft.

I remember a Naval Safety Center study in the early 90s after a couple of planes in the Med flew into the water while simulating sea skimming missiles during exercises. They happened fairly close together and were an A7 and a F18. The Safety Center study verified a higher accident rate for single seaters attributed to high pilot work loads caused by operating systems not directly associated with controlling the aircraft (i.e weapon systems). The single seaters also had a higher accident rate landing on the carrier. Fixation on a task was cited as causing the pilot to "forget" about or pay too little attention to flying. The study worried that there would also be a higher accident rate in the F18 over the A7 due to the more capabilities/systems of the F18. It said that the greater automation hopefully would reduce or maintain the accident rate on par with the A7 but it considered the F18 to be 1.8 man aircraft being flown by 1 pilot.

I never did see any follow on study and I've been out of the loop for 9 years, so I don't know how single seaters compare to 2 seaters now. But I bet they still have a higher accident rate that is directly attributable to pilot workload, task fixation or other pilot error.

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
The single seaters also had a higher accident rate landing on the carrier.

You're not going to start defending NFO's that wear centurion patches now are you?

From recent memory I'd say that the single seat/two seat statistic is probably fairly even, single seat in a slight lead. There are several instances of two seat mid-airs. Something to think about in that argument. Like they say, twice the crew half the SA.

In all reality I think it comes down to personal preference. I personally love being a single seat guy, however when a two seat crew is dialed in I think they are a much more effective killing machine. It can go both ways though on any given day.