• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Single-Pilot KC-46 ops in INDOPACOM?

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
F-35 has dual FADECs on its engine. If one fails that is a no-shitter for us (especially if it was caused by the fuel being too hot and overheating the FADEC). It basically drives us to a flameout profile since if the second FADEC fails the engine will flameout with no manual backup available.

For all the downsides of a single engine the PW135 has been pretty beastly so far. We’ve had a couple instances of the engine ingesting broken refueling probe tips and it kept chugging along, it’s a big confidence booster.

HSMPBR

Not a misfit toy
pilot
In the -60, if the ECU malfunctions (which can happen for a myriad of reasons, and not necessarily because of the ECU specifically), you can switch to a manual engine control. With how the rigging is set, you adjust the "max" allowable power with the PCL and it's mostly set and forget until you land.
Or you could just let it burn. Engine is already torched and it’s not like I was chewing on the wire harness or whatever. It’s free Nr.
1658514101011.gif

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Beat me to it.

As an aside, I learned last night after reading one of the bazillion 407 emails on my work account that the 407GXi just has dual FADECs and no manual mode, unlike the legacy 407 FADEC systems. I have a feeling phrog knows this, but it was interesting to read after this thread exchange.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Agree to disagree, side cyclic rocks.
Interesting bit of trivia, the 53 kilo was almost produced without rudder pedals at all and instead incorporating a three-axis side cyclic where yaw was controlled by twisting the cyclic. While it was feasible from an engineering and control laws standpoint, it was rejected for negative habit transfer reasons in the end.

JollyGood

Flashing Dome
pilot
Pretty sure we're already at a point where if the "magic" doesn't work, the Hornets and Growlers are trimming up and ejecting alongside. And that doesn't seem to be a problem.

old.jpg

We are not quite there yet, but perhaps when VT CQ is scaled back or even gone, those are some decisions CAGs and Captains will be making together.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Interesting bit of trivia, the 53 kilo was almost produced without rudder pedals at all and instead incorporating a three-axis side cyclic where yaw was controlled by twisting the cyclic. While it was feasible from an engineering and control laws standpoint, it was rejected for negative habit transfer reasons in the end.
Just imagine the entirely new training pipeline you’d need.

JustAGuy

pilot
I’ve never heard of an engine flaming out mid-flight in a Rhino due to a FADEC-specific issue (which doesn’t mean it hasn’t happened, but I would expect such occurrences to be extremely rare).

? Had a FADEC commanded shutdown of an engine in Fallon as a RAG instructor with a a couple of solo students on my wing on their live day with live weapons of my own. I remember being very cavalier about it, like "Huh, my engine is rolling back. Weird. Huh, look ENG page says Shutdown, that's not supposed to happen."

FADEC just up and completely shit itself internally without any warning which would have been me in a parachute in a current single engine aircraft with where I was.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
? Had a FADEC commanded shutdown of an engine in Fallon as a RAG instructor with a a couple of solo students on my wing on their live day with live weapons of my own. I remember being very cavalier about it, like "Huh, my engine is rolling back. Weird. Huh, look ENG page says Shutdown, that's not supposed to happen."

FADEC just up and completely shit itself internally without any warning which would have been me in a parachute in a current single engine aircraft with where I was.
I’d take a very rare F404 rollback over a very rare J52 spontaneous explosion.