• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SINGLE or SIGNIFICANT OTHER AT TBS???

Status
Not open for further replies.

OOH RAH KILL

Good Evening Gentlemen,

I am an officer candidate who just graduated from PLC juniors this summer.....I currently have a girlfriend of 3.5 years and was pondering the question.....to all of you 2nd LT's either at TBS or who have graduated:

Go to TBS with a significant other, or go single?? Which is better? Because I am almost to the point where I can not deal with her.

Any input would be appreciated.

Keep KILLING motivators.

Taxman2A

War were declared.
A few questions-- what do you mean by significant other? Girlfriend? Wife?

I am a married lt here who lives with his wife off base. I would strongly recommend this over being married but geographically separated. To each his own though, and I realize there are multiple variables that play into this decision.

While only about 20% are married, a greater percentage have serious girlfriends/ fiance's. I'm not sure what it's like to balance this kind of relationship with the tough schedule of TBS, but I'm sure it's not much different from any other long distance relationship-- very challenging.

I am confused as to your statement "I am almost to the point where I can not deal with her." What do you mean by this? If it's what it sounds like, then dump her and don't worry about it.

BigWorm

Marine Aviator
pilot
Hey Killer!
Having a woman at TBS will not make things easier. If you like her and want to keep her around, it will be on you to try and balance things.
Basically, if you are single then plan on living in the Q. If you are married plan on living in the Q although you get your BAH to establish something off base for your wife to live in. Does that about sum it up?
One more thing, there is a term called piss and vinegar originating from the old days in the Navy/Marines. I’m sure any of the prior E’s will be able to tell you about it.

http://phrases.shu.ac.uk/meanings/145600.html

jthorp

Dear Ooh Rah Killer,
I could write a book about the importance of taking your wife to TBS with you. If you want to marry someone, I think you should do it before your training starts.
I have about a million reasons to support this statement, but I'll summarize. First of all, having a wife to come home to is a lot more enjoyable than sleeping in the barracks (especially if she will cook and clean for you and give you a back massage like I did for my husband :). She's going to be a lot more sympathetic to you and your needs when she sees you coming home, dirty and beaten up as opposed to having a long distance relationship where tension is high, all she knows is you're off at a "school" and you didn't call her, so she's sad.
There's all sorts of wives' clubs there and the wives who have been in for a long time loved talking to us about their experiences. The XO, CO, and SPC's all know the wives. General & Mrs. Hanlon have the wives over for dinner. Everyone really seems to go out of their way to make the spouses feel welcome.
I just think it's good for us wives to be in the action, get introduced to the military. I have a lot of Marine pride that I don't think I would have gotten had I not been there.
And remember, you do get the weekends, so you will get to spend time with her if she's there!
If you or your girlfriend wants to PM me, feel free to (or anybody else for that matter). I can answer questions she may have.

Status
Not open for further replies.