• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Sikorsky S-97 Raider Ground Tests Today

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Makes sense. But when I look at either design, it makes me wonder how it fits into what the Navy will want after the Army starts down whatever path they start down on.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
I still feel like these will get ultimately looked at as too risky and they'll want some evolutionary design instead. I'd be intrigued as to what Sikorsky and Bell could do with a clean sheet utility helicopter, but then again, who's funding that.

Pags

N/A
pilot
V-280 is probably the lower risk path of the two options. But I'm not sure how the USN's requirements square with USA's. I'd also be interested to see what Bell's thoughts are on how to fold and stuff a productionized V-280. Right now V-280's proprotor diameter and wingspan are very close to V-22's dimensions. That's a lot of stuff to origami in to hangars that fit H-60s.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
Bell was showing a light tiltrotor UAS model at NHA last year. I think that's what they're trying to push on the Navy. @phrogdriver should know.

I know Sikorsky is working on something between the S-97 and SB>1 in size to fit on small boys (and in H-60 hangars). I don't think blade fold is an issue, but folding that pusher prop is, so they have to make the bird small enough that the nose-to-tail length will fit in a hangar. If HSM gets that, we might have a reason to finally dump the SAR & VERTREP missions, since every ounce of gross weight will be mission systems and fuel.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Bell was showing a light tiltrotor UAS model at NHA last year. I think that's what they're trying to push on the Navy. @phrogdriver should know.

I know Sikorsky is working on something between the S-97 and SB>1 in size to fit on small boys (and in H-60 hangars). I don't think blade fold is an issue, but folding that pusher prop is, so they have to make the bird small enough that the nose-to-tail length will fit in a hangar. If HSM gets that, we might have a reason to finally dump the SAR & VERTREP missions, since every ounce of gross weight will be mission systems and fuel.
The bigger question is does USN need speed or endurance?

thump

pilot
If HSM gets that, we might have a reason to finally dump the SAR & VERTREP missions, since every ounce of gross weight will be mission systems and fuel.

It’d be great to finally kick those missions over to the experts at HSC. Would also be great to have an easily configurable aircraft such that we could pull the magic boxes out for a short notice HADR mission.

The bigger question is does USN need speed or endurance?

More of both than we currently have!