• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Sikorsky S-97 Raider Ground Tests Today

thump

pilot
Spending-wise...I would like to see terminal and enroute RNAV GPS capability!

....But then again, a 200 kt cruise and a corresponding increase in range is a game changer for the Army.

Also a big game-changer for helo ASW. Since we’re not going to bring back the S-3...

RNAV rolls down from that pesky “incorruptible database” requirement. The aircraft is capable - one would think that it would be easier to change stupid rules instead.

Reactions: IKE

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Probably not a bad idea for you to make another, second, account. One for "phrogdriver" content and one for "Everyone sucks except Bell!" content. As friendly input, a lot of your posts are over the top lately.

I can certainly help you with the account redundancy protocols on a second account.
It has cut down on his Trump related posts though so it’s not all bad

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I just realized some of you would rather back Trump than America so it’s pointless anyway.

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
Also a big game-changer for helo ASW. Since we’re not going to bring back the S-3...

RNAV rolls down from that pesky “incorruptible database” requirement. The aircraft is capable - one would think that it would be easier to change stupid rules instead.
The incorruptible database is a legit requirement. Watching people hand jam points on a card or in the aircraft can be entertaining. Similar names, typos, etc... can move your final approach fix to Africa. For the 60M, the issue is tolerance stack. GPS antenna, to EGI, to EFIS Junction box, to FMS, to MFD results in RNP figures not being met. According to the Blackhawk/LUH conference, the proposed solution is a Garmin on the center console that skips many of the steps/filters/interfaces in the system.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
the proposed solution is a Garmin on the center console that skips many of the steps/filters/interfaces in the system.

I bought up this idea to two NAVAIR engineers at the 2014 NARG in front of the whole group. They could have shut me down in a heartbeat by saying it wasn't a fleet requirement. Instead the answer devolved into a "well there's not an easy way to add a GPS box and antenna to the airframe." I think my response involved the words "430," "general aviation," and "for at least a decade."

Their answer was a hollow one, and people knew it, but to be fair, getting another antenna on the Romeo isn't easy. Still, given what Garmin has been able to do on the civilian side lately, finding room for a simple WAAS antenna shouldn't be impossible.

In this particular case I dare say it’s correct.

I think you've missed my point.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I bought up this idea to two NAVAIR engineers at the 2014 NARG in front of the whole group. They could have shut me down in a heartbeat by saying it wasn't a fleet requirement. Instead the answer devolved into a "well there's not an easy way to add a GPS box and antenna to the airframe." I think my response involved the words "430," "general aviation," and "for at least a decade."

Their answer was a hollow one, and people knew it, but to be fair, getting another antenna on the Romeo isn't easy. Still, given what Garmin has been able to do on the civilian side lately, finding room for a simple WAAS antenna shouldn't be impossible.

I think you've missed my point.
Isn’t this more or less the solution that was implemented with the E-2/C-2 community a few years back with a Garmin 530 certified to perform /G /R and RNAV LPV minima as well as traditional VLOC/ILS ?

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
The incorruptible database is a legit requirement. Watching people hand jam points on a card or in the aircraft can be entertaining. Similar names, typos, etc... can move your final approach fix to Africa. For the 60M, the issue is tolerance stack. GPS antenna, to EGI, to EFIS Junction box, to FMS, to MFD results in RNP figures not being met. According to the Blackhawk/LUH conference, the proposed solution is a Garmin on the center console that skips many of the steps/filters/interfaces in the system.
You have to acknowledge Army working the solution especially in the SOCOM helo/rotary wing space- case in point :

On 16 July, SOFWERX in concert with United States Special Operations Command (USSOCOM) Program Executive Office Rotary Wing (PEO-RW), will host a multi-phase event to identify the next generation Special Operations Aviation (SOA) cockpit.
Purpose
The purpose of the event is to inform the requirements for next generation of SOA cockpit (hardware & software) in a SOA variant legacy and Future Vertical Lift (FVL) platforms with material cockpit demonstrators. It will ensure state of the art technology informs future cockpit management solutions including open systems architecture, heads down, heads up and helmet mounted displays.It will also ensure exposure to any technology that could increase aviator capability from the cockpit.
Focus Areas

• Controls
  • Voice Activation
  • Heads Up Eyes Out Display
  • Windscreen
  • Display
  • Communication/ICS
  • Operational Flight Program (Operating System)

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
You have to acknowledge Army working the solution especially in the SOCOM helo/rotary wing space- case in point :
Their aircraft are only remotely similar to mainstream Army aircraft. In fact, a qual in their MH-60Ms doesn't count as a qual in our UH/HH-60Ms. It's as different as a 60A/L is to a 60M. They had a breakdown of one of their aircraft at Oceana one time when we were up there and they nearly lost a chance to deck qual because they weren't qualified in our aircraft. Luckily their parts availability exceeds ours by 1000%.

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None

Their answer was a hollow one, and people knew it, but to be fair, getting another antenna on the Romeo isn't easy.

I can see the Romeo having problems with that. Ironically the national guard has no problem coming in and telling us, with two weeks notice, that we are getting another radio. A week of mods and all of our 60Ms and 47Fs had Technisonic TDFM 9000 radios. It was an additional COM 5 for the 60s. I believe it required the very capable multiband ARC 231 to be disconnected in the 47s. It has 200 presets in VHF, UHF, marine band, LMR, etc... If only we can get the civilian agencies to A0 talk on their assigned frequencies and B) tell us what they are so we can find them in our list or program them in.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I can see the Romeo having problems with that. Ironically the national guard has no problem coming in and telling us, with two weeks notice, that we are getting another radio. A week of mods and all of our 60Ms and 47Fs had Technisonic TDFM 9000 radios. It was an additional COM 5 for the 60s. I believe it required the very capable multiband ARC 231 to be disconnected in the 47s. It has 200 presets in VHF, UHF, marine band, LMR, etc... If only we can get the civilian agencies to A0 talk on their assigned frequencies and B) tell us what they are so we can find them in our list or program them in.

DoD additional Reserve funding (the name of which is completely escaping me right now) is a nice thing. It's also how HUDs and ILS/VOR are in a couple of Romeos now.

FWIW, we have similar issues with local entities in neighboring counties and their radios. We'll know the "freq" but won't have it in our radio, presumably because someone doesn't pass it along to get programmed. Very annoying at night when you haven't been to an LZ before or worse when it's an impromptu LZ with no guidance on what's down there.