• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Sikorsky S-97 Raider Ground Tests Today

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Sounds like they’ve had some hiccups.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Sounds like they’ve had some hiccups.

Any idea if it is indeed the airframe or gearbox problem mentioned in the article or something else? I remarked 4 years ago that I had not seen anyone make a rigid rotor system above 20,000 lbs and wondered if you could make a flexbeam that could scale up for a bigger rotor system, much less a coaxial rotor system.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
It went 130+ KIAS. Weren't you listening to the audio?

It looked like they were testing specific aspects of the tail prop during low-speed flight, given the pirouette and gun dive (or whatever attack bros call it). You can see the prop change speed a lot in the middle of the video.

Pags

N/A
pilot

It looked like they were testing specific aspects of the tail prop during low-speed flight, given the pirouette and gun dive (or whatever attack bros call it). You can see the prop change speed a lot in the middle of the video.
Cue BD pitch on how fast the V-280 has gone ?

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
What's fascinating to me, especially after reading the H-60 history book, is how much the design specifications guided the program and created a wildly versatile helicopter that's been in production for 30 years. Things like takeoff performance out of an LZ in fpm, that lead to rotor loading design, etc.

I think FVL is cool and all, but these are really complex machines we're throwing money at when we could be trying to make the next Huey, Hawk, etc.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
What's fascinating to me, especially after reading the H-60 history book, is how much the design specifications guided the program and created a wildly versatile helicopter that's been in production for 30 years. Things like takeoff performance out of an LZ in fpm, that lead to rotor loading design, etc.

I think FVL is cool and all, but these are really complex machines we're throwing money at when we could be trying to make the next Huey, Hawk, etc.
While I'm certainly not saying FVL results will be as robust, prolific, and downright awesome as the -60, I think you've missed that SPEC is exactly what's driving the complexity. The FVL requirements prioritize cruise speeds that you just can't achieve with a single main rotor solution (or tandem, sorry phrog fans).

I agree that an updated Hawk-like vehicle with modern AFCS, new mission systems, and whatever the opposite of the Lockheed Martin cockpit is would be sweet, but it wouldn't go >200 knots.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
While I'm certainly not saying FVL results will be as robust, prolific, and downright awesome as the -60, I think you've missed that SPEC is exactly what's driving the complexity. The FVL requirements prioritize cruise speeds that you just can't achieve with a single main rotor solution (or tandem, sorry phrog fans).

I agree that an updated Hawk-like vehicle with modern AFCS, new mission systems, and whatever the opposite of the Lockheed Martin cockpit is would be sweet, but it wouldn't go >200 knots.

Don't get me wrong, I know a lot of effort is going into realizing the 200kt+ cruise. I just think it's wasted effort that could be spent elsewhere.

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
Spending-wise...I would like to see terminal and enroute RNAV GPS capability! Thanks to the failed Comanche, the Army had the money to fund the 60M, a HUGE improvement. However, it is negligent that we are still waiting for the capability to fly RNAV approaches in our own country set on eliminating VORs.

But then again, a 200 kt cruise and a corresponding increase in range is a game changer for the Army. Doctrine will change significantly, causing our potential peer enemies some significant capital expenditures to counter the capabilities, IF they recognize the capabilities and choose to react to them.

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator

“We’re just throwing money away on these really complex tanks when we could be trying to breed the next horses.”

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator

...so a low speed demo, then.