• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SIG information

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
Yeah its a good weapon... I'm not familiar with other departments... all I know is that the 3 or 4 that I know of here all carry H&Ks... I don't doubt what you're saying though... the SIG will always be my favorite.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If Ruger pistols are as capable as Glocks... and in most cases are equally priced or less expensive, why do most LE agencies (~60% FBI, DEA etc...) still issue Glock?

Some additional advantages I see...accuracy (largely personal due to fit), simplicity of operation and construction, slick exterior (to avoid hang-ups on draw and use in a concealed carry scenario...)

Last I heard the FBI and DEA are not exclusively GLOCK. There is still some discretion on the part of the agent. Again, if there are more GLOCKs then anything else, it is not because it has the best fit and finish of any other weapon, or is more accurate then any other. Price is still the biggest factor, and where the price is the same or less for a competitor, as in your question, then it comes to other factors. With the Glock it is the much lighter carry weight then say Ruger or Baretta (only reason my FBI buddy switched from SIG to GLOCK was weight) and the wide variety of weapon sizes and calibers that can be had in a pistol that functions exactly the same way in all those varieties. That makes for better training and performance under stress. (You must qualify with every single weapon you will carry. So if you are a Barreta guy and chose a light weight baby GLOCK as a back up or for plain clothes work, you now have a completely differant gun to learn to shoot well. If the slide release and mag release are different then your primary gun are you going to remember how to operate them on the back up when under the extreme stress present when a back up weapon is required? ) Ruger does not have nearly that variety of sizes and calibers nor commonality of operation. Baretta comes closer. Don't get me wrong. Not saying the GLOCK isn't a very good weapon. I'm just saying that it isn't in a league of it's own and certainly not just because many government agencies choose to issue it.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Last I heard the FBI and DEA are not exclusively GLOCK. There is still some discretion on the part of the agent. Again, if there are more GLOCKs then anything else, it is not because it has the best fit and finish of any other weapon, or is more accurate then any other. Price is still the biggest factor, and where the price is the same or less for a competitor, as in your question, then it comes to other factors. With the Glock it is the much lighter carry weight then say Ruger or Baretta (only reason my FBI buddy switched from SIG to GLOCK was weight) and the wide variety of weapon sizes and calibers that can be had in a pistol that functions exactly the same way in all those varieties. That makes for better training and performance under stress. (You must qualify with every single weapon you will carry. So if you are a Barreta guy and chose a light weight baby GLOCK as a back up or for plain clothes work, you now have a completely differant gun to learn to shoot well. If the slide release and mag release are different then your primary gun are you going to remember how to operate them on the back up when under the extreme stress present when a back up weapon is required? ) Ruger does not have nearly that variety of sizes and calibers nor commonality of operation. Baretta comes closer. Don't get me wrong. Not saying the GLOCK isn't a very good weapon. I'm just saying that it isn't in a league of it's own and certainly not just because many government agencies choose to issue it.

http://www.military.com/soldiertech/0,14632,Soldiertech_SIG,,00.html

Article says lots of gov't agencies are moving in the direction of Sig, specifically the P229 and P239. Interesting read. Oh and Jack Bauer originally carried a P229, that should be enough for you;)

Attachments

• mypistol.jpg
    mypistol.jpg
    486.4 KB · Views: 40