• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Sidearms for Naval Aviators

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Out of curiosity, how far can handgun ammo go underwater? I read somewhere that the bigger high power stuff is gone by like 3 feet but don't recall anything about underwater.
But I know that the use you mean is when its wet and not when you're off fishing with the glock.

I've never attempted it. I've heard from some people that the water muffles the shot and won't damage your ears, and I've also heard that it amplifies it and will blow out your ear drums. Supposedly the concussion can do damage to your organs too. Who knows what's true---and I don't feel like finding out.

One thing that would definitely be a bad idea: using JHP ammo underwater.

navy09

None
Out of curiosity, how far can handgun ammo go underwater? I read somewhere that the bigger high power stuff is gone by like 3 feet but don't recall anything about underwater.

I know from shooting an M60 that the rounds literally bounce off the water. A GM told me that an M16 penetrates 1-2 feet.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
If trigger is the most important factor in the equation, the Sig wins hands down....and that includes putting the XD and the M&P arguement. If weight is a factor as well, you could use the Sig Pro which has a polymer frame but functions like the classic Sigs. The trigger, SA and DA is far better than the striker fired pistols out there.

The external moving parts arguement is kinda of wierd too....it has a decocker. That's one more external lever than the glock or M&P. Don't mess with it if you dont want DA!

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Mythbusters shot into water. I think the original question was referring to a round fired while underwater. Completely different. The round doesn't fragment because there is no rapid deceleration from the medium change.

From the videos I've seen (once again, I don't plan on attempting this), the Glock will not only fire, but will cycle while fully submerged. Maritime spring cups are usually installed to prevent light primer strikes due to the displacement of water by the firing pin. The only stock Glock that is actually factory approved for underwater operation is the 17. They did make a Model 21 that was modified for, I believe, South Korean Special Forces. It came with a threaded barrel for a suppressor and the maritime spring cups. Pretty cool.

navy09

None
Just did a quick Google search, looks like you're right. Still, it looks like you'd going to be hard pressed to hit anything more than 10' away (Glock 9mm w/ ball ammo). Still pretty cool.

Gonzo08

*1. Gangbar Off
None
Just recently purchased a Sig P229 SAS with my overflowing ENS cash. Have been to the range a few times since, and I must say it is a great gun. My roommate has a Glock 23, and while he love the light weight for concealed carry, he was blown away by the smooth trigger pull on the P229. But what it really comes down to is personal preference, so if you're thinking of buying go with what feels good in your hands.

GroundPounder

From the videos I've seen (once again said:
I think the day that you end up underwater, and needing to shoot someone or something that is also underwater is going to be an experience that you'll never forget or your last day on earth.

The operators that come from under the water to shoot are bad enough, I can only imagine that these folks would be off the chain.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Never done much shooting out of the Navy, but shot expert with the issued Sig P228. We had 13 round mags and I thought it worked A-OK...

FLY_USMC

pilot
I've done what I consider substantial shooting both in and outside the military, and while we are one the subject of triggers....I'd like to throw out that the Walther P99 has a trigger I don't like. The Glocks I've felt, though not great, were consistent. The Walther I owned had the most inconsistent pull I'd ever shot. I promptly traded it.

JSF_Dreamer

Busted Head
You should've tried to shoot it underwater. :D

Glocks are the AK-47s of handguns. Period. That's why I use a Glock. Because I don't need it to ping dime sized groups when the enemy is 5-10ft in front of me. I need my handgun to go bang as soon I squeeze the trigger.

Like you said no frills. +1

so when are we going shooting?

Makk85

604KTS
pilot
Current Aircrew Sidearm

While I have searched these questions, all of the threads I have turned up are 3 or more years old.

1. What are pilots/aircrew currently issued as a sidearm? M11?

2. Do you still shoot at OCS in RI, and if so what does that entail?