• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Sidearms for Naval Aviators

navy09

None
It does have a "cocker indicator". On the extractor/ejector is the LCI, loaded chamber indicator. It will stick out if there is a round in the chamber. If there is a round in the chamber, the weapon is "cocked".

I know about the LCI- and I've heard many people claim that Glocks don't have such a thing since the original models didn't have them.

I'm talking about the silver pin that protrudes from the back of the slide on the XD indicating that it's cocked (the striker is back).

Bevo16

pilot
What don't you like? The fact that SIGs go boom every time or their dirty girl good looks? :)

Sig is an ugly pistol. With the de-cocking lever, slide release, external hammer, and all of the other crap, that thing has more external moving parts than most aircraft. It's just a mess.

I have three requirements for a carry pistol. It must fire a powerful cartridge. It must carry an adequate number of these cartridges. It must go bang each and every time, regardless of the environment. Oh, and no external safety. (OK, four requirements---I lied).

You just described the M&P. Congratulations. Another convert. It has everything you like about the Glock, plus better design and features.

So I guess if this is the case the 1911 must be the U-Matic Video Tape?

Read for content junior. We are talking about about polymer carry pistols, not functional works of art like this:

Attachments

• DSCN1502.JPG
    DSCN1502.JPG
    915.2 KB · Views: 168

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
You just described the M&P. Congratulations. Another convert. It has everything you like about the Glock, plus better design and features.

Never said the M&P wasn't a fine pistol. The only thing I don't like about the M&P 45 is the magazine capacity. I plan on getting one once the bank account fattens up (and probably after my M1A). I will probably get a .40 though---I already have a 9mm and a .45. I just don't understand all the hate against the Glock.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Although the new Gen 4 Glock looks like ass. The moon shaped grooves in the slide are just too much, IMO.

JSF_Dreamer

Busted Head
I love my sig p226. Glock and Sig are both great guns (sig is better, imo). I absolutely hate the way a Glock fits in my hands.

H&K are great guns too, but you can't pretend that glocks and Sigs aren't good guns.

If you want a gun you can feel ok about not cleaning ALL the time, get a Glock.

If you constantly clean your gun anyways get a Sig or H&K. They are all great brands. I don't have enough experience with any of them to say one is truly superior to the other, but I prefer Sig Sauer.

If you want to watch some review videos from a service member who actually uses them and reviews them as a hobby, check out nutnfancy on youtube.

www.youtube.com/nutnfancy

Bevo16

pilot
I just don't understand all the hate against the Glock.

It's not hate, just calling it what it is. When S&W started making polymer pistols, their Sigma series was a carbon copy of the Glock (they even got taken to court over it) with a little stiffer trigger. S&W then upgraded it in every with the M&P.

The one thing that I REALLY don't like about the Glock is the trigger. Every one that I have fired has a really long trigger draw, and it hangs up right before it goes bang. The S&W has a lot smoother trigger. It's not like I am saying that I would rather throw a Glock at a criminal rather than shoot it. There are just a lot of better options out there.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
It's not hate, just calling it what it is. When S&W started making polymer pistols, their Sigma series was a carbon copy of the Glock (they even got taken to court over it) with a little stiffer trigger. S&W then upgraded it in every with the M&P.

The one thing that I REALLY don't like about the Glock is the trigger. Every one that I have fired has a really long trigger draw, and it hangs up right before it goes bang. The S&W has a lot smoother trigger. It's not like I am saying that I would rather throw a Glock at a criminal rather than shoot it. There are just a lot of better options out there.

Yeah, it's what you get used to I guess. I've shot Glocks for so long that I really don't know if I would feel comfortable carrying something else without putting a LOT of rounds through it first. The difference in trigger pull is drastic, and I wonder if I would go back to my old (Glock) habits should the shit hit the fan. It's not big deal when I am at the range with another pistol and I can think about my trigger squeeze.

It would have to be a DAO---I don't think I could ever get completely comfortable with a DA/SA.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor

Easy enough fix, though. 3lb triggers from any glock licensed gunsmith aren't expensive, and make it a nice, light, consistent draw.

Though I guess you can take any gun to a gunsmith and make it what you want or like, which makes the point a moo one.

You know, like a cow's opinion...not very important.

MasterBates

What's with this throwing SIGs in with Tactical Tupperware?

The only plastic parts on my sig are the grip (same as my 1911) and the Mag follower.

Aluminum frame, steel slide, steel insert in frame for the trigger mount.

H60Gunner

Contributor
Yeah, it's what you get used to I guess. I've shot Glocks for so long that I really don't know if I would feel comfortable carrying something else without putting a LOT of rounds through it first. The difference in trigger pull is drastic, and I wonder if I would go back to my old (Glock) habits should the shit hit the fan. It's not big deal when I am at the range with another pistol and I can think about my trigger squeeze.

It would have to be a DAO---I don't think I could ever get completely comfortable with a DA/SA.

If things are still the same C420 you will be issued an M11 when going into harms way, which is DA/SA so you should be ok because it is the same as a DAO. SA if you want to cock the hammer for the first shot, DA if you want to just pull the trigger.

I'm a fan of Glocks too, but the M&P I just bought has changed my mind. Same action, functionally, but smoother trigger pull and better sight picture. It rides lower in the hand than a Glock so felt recoil to me is less, as is muzzle rise.

If the wep fits, shoot it!

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
Glocks have the ergonomics of a brick, IMO. It would take a lot for me to carry it regularly.

Never had any issue with any of my Sigs; they fit my hand like a glove and I'd gladly trust my life to them. I also really like all the "external moving parts" and the DA/SA trigger.

But this debate could go on for years and get nowhere. Bottom line should be: Carry what YOU prefer.

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
I disagree. Glocks sell well because they are a no-frills pistol. It is designed for reliability, period.

I have three requirements for a carry pistol. It must fire a powerful cartridge. It must carry an adequate number of these cartridges. It must go bang each and every time, regardless of the environment. Oh, and no external safety. (OK, four requirements---I lied). The Glock isn't fancy and it isn't pretty, but it does its job and it does it well.

As a target pistol, I'll admit that it sucks. I shoot almost as well with it as I do my S&W Model 59, but it doesn't feel as good doing it. The ergos aren't that great, the trigger pull is long and not that crisp, and the tolerances aren't the tightest. But as a duty/carry pistol, its design is hard to beat. I've never had a single malfunction short of a single stovepipe (I was shooting one handed and limpwristed it) on the thousands of rounds I've put through multiple Glocks. I've shot Wolf through it, flat nose, hollow points, subsonic (had to manually cycle the slide), even a box of ammo that I found in an abandoned shed that was rotting. It ate it all up and went bang every time. I've dropped it on concrete, dropped it in sand and mud, and I even took it SCUBA diving in the Gulf of Mexico just to see how it would hold up in salt water. I waited a few days, took it shooting, and then cleaned it a few days after that. Not a speck of rust, and it fired great.

My 21SF carries 14 rounds of .45ACP, has a 1913 rail, night sights, an ambidextrous mag release (could care less, honestly), and it goes bang each and every time.

You should've tried to shoot it underwater. :D

Glocks are the AK-47s of handguns. Period. That's why I use a Glock. Because I don't need it to ping dime sized groups when the enemy is 5-10ft in front of me. I need my handgun to go bang as soon I squeeze the trigger.

Like you said no frills. +1

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
Personal favorite - Sig with their DAK trigger

Consistent 6.5lb pull that from the factory is as smooth as a tuned DA/SA trigger.

Not quite as good at 25 yards as the 3lb SA; but much easier to shoot controlled pairs with. Goes bang everytime without the mushy plastic trigger of the Glock.

nugget61

pilot
You should've tried to shoot it underwater. :D

Out of curiosity, how far can handgun ammo go underwater? I read somewhere that the bigger high power stuff is gone by like 3 feet but don't recall anything about underwater.
But I know that the use you mean is when its wet and not when you're off fishing with the glock.