• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USN Showdown between Super Hornet and F-35

Bad_Karma_1310

pilot

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
It doesn’t seem like nonsense to me. The idea of using an F-35 for CAS does, however. Something needs to replace the A-10 and thinking it should be an airplane that can fight in an Afghanistan type war isn’t exactly advanced thinking. There is something to be said about some commonality among airframes.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Why would they invest in a legacy platform for which their service has no experience, no training, and no logistics when they could buy more F-15 variants?
Does the F-15 function in the ground attack role similar to the F-18 variants? I ask because I do not know.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
It doesn’t seem like nonsense to me. The idea of using an F-35 for CAS does, however. Something needs to replace the A-10 and thinking it should be an airplane that can fight in an Afghanistan type war isn’t exactly advanced thinking. There is something to be said about some commonality among airframes.
I thought it was odd that the author (a 2,000 hour A-10 pilot) was in favor of the F/A-18 over any of the Air Force jets, although it appeared that one of his big arguments was the availability of Boeing being able to produce the jet right now (and keep the production line open) while the ability of the F-15, F-16 and F-35 factories to produce substantially more was questionable.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Why would they invest in a legacy platform for which their service has no experience, no training, and no logistics when they could buy more F-15 variants?
This. The F-15EX is a much better option. At the base level there is no penalty in weight for structure and landing gear for carrier ops that is required in the F-18. Instead you get more gas and ordnance. That right there is the end of the discussion.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
“Two-seat models would be flown by two pilots, with the back seat pilot able to focus on non-flying tasks (i.e. CSAR Rescue Mission Commander etc.).”

LOL . . . 45+ years after Vietnam and TOPGUN’s founding and the Air Force single-seater types still have this kind of an attitude towards their CSOs. And then he goes on to quote an article about VMFA and claim it says the opposite of what it actually says about the Corps operating those jets soloized.