• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USN Showdown between Super Hornet and F-35

taxi1

pilot
This is where the "jeep" carrier comes in. It is quite wrong to assume that CVEs were on the shipways in 1942, they were not, but the merchant hulls they were built on were. The CVE wasn;t intended as a combat ship - it was susposed to move carriers and pilots across the ocean to fall in on Essex Class fleet carriers keeping them supplied with the grist of PTO warfare...planes and pilots.
I had my idea somewhere in another thread, to use a commercial ship with a modified deck to make it into a flattop as a roving CQ platform for the fleet. No traps or cats, just approaches.

I wonder if you couldn't take some super large decks and turn them into floating OLFs. With 1500' of runway?

An old tanker is surprisingly cheap compared to a true man of war.

Max the Mad Russian

Hands off Ukraine! Feet too
The CVE wasn't intended as a combat ship
... for USN, concur. But poor Brits were way less queasy and so roughly a half of lend-lease-built US CVEs transferred to them were briefly converted into "attack carriers" (official title) embarking fighter-bombers only, 20+ Hellcats or Seafires. Quite a parental-related hint on a recent "Harrier Carrier" concept from that same fall 1942.

jmcquate

Contributor
An old tanker is surprisingly cheap compared to a true man of war.
The reason my be that they only have to support a crew of 20ish. Also, I don't know the top speed of one of those monsters, but I would be willing to bet they are no where near fast enough to generate the wind needed to support modern tacair platforms.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Modified oil supertankers may yet be viable tacair power projection platforms using a hybrid concept of a deck run and controlled porpoising using bow planes. Sophisticated software algorithms analyze the wave period and control variable pitch hydroplanes to make the bow of the ship rise and fall. The deck run is timed with the bow approaching its highest point in the porpoise cycle to toss the fighter, which is not yet at flying speed but able to reach it after a few seconds of ballistic trajectory. Unfortunately, lab simulations so far predict many of the launch attempts being out of phase with the rise and fall of the bow, which of course greatly reduces the successful launch rate.

Yes, I just invented that but you heard it here first folks.

I need a good acronym to help sell the idea.

jmcquate

Contributor
WIDL. Pronounced "Wydel". Wave Induced Deck Lift. When out of parameters for automation, the shooter will have to go to MOWIDL.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Modified oil supertankers may yet be viable tacair power projection platforms using a hybrid concept of a deck run and controlled porpoising using bow planes. Sophisticated software algorithms analyze the wave period and control variable pitch hydroplanes to make the bow of the ship rise and fall. The deck run is timed with the bow approaching its highest point in the porpoise cycle to toss the fighter, which is not yet at flying speed but able to reach it after a few seconds of ballistic trajectory. Unfortunately, lab simulations so far predict many of the launch attempts being out of phase with the rise and fall of the bow, which of course greatly reduces the successful launch rate.

Yes, I just invented that but you heard it here first folks.

I need a good acronym to help sell the idea.
Lame. Missed a chance to make it out of concrete, pykrete, or some other non traditional boat material.

I'd also recommend Timed Response Deck Motion Lift...or TRDML for short.

taxi1

pilot
The reason my be that they only have to support a crew of 20ish. Also, I don't know the top speed of one of those monsters, but I would be willing to bet they are no where near fast enough to generate the wind needed to support modern tacair platforms.
17 kts into a headwind. Some sort of soft “cat” to give you some extra knots at the end. Cable pull? Extend the bow and stern overhang to give you 1600 feet of deck. The deck pitcherator idea. A very gentle ramp at the end.

Plenty of room in the empty tanks to hang a hammock or two.

jmcquate

Contributor
Don't the shooters have a real term for not launching someone into a wave in high sea states?

jmcquate

Contributor
17 kts into a headwind. Some sort of soft “cat” to give you some extra knots at the end. Cable pull? Extend the bow and stern overhang to give you 1600 feet of deck. The deck pitcherator idea. A very gentle ramp at the end.

Plenty of room in the empty tanks to hang a hammock or two.
Still gotta recover.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Lame. Missed a chance to make it out of concrete, pykrete, or some other non traditional boat material.

I'd also recommend Timed Response Deck Motion Lift...or TRDML for short.
Spaceships made of mooncrete. Kind of a 22nd century reboot of the old ice ships concept. It'll have to wait until WWIV or V though.