• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Should I stay or should I go? Or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying And Love HSC.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I wonder if it’s even possible in this day and age to bust each other’s balls without someone getting butthurt? Ah, the times when we used to be able to give other communities shit, all in good fun.
Agree. If Whopper had said this in a bar people would either roll their eyes or fire back along community lines and it would just be some good ole brand x shit talking.

Whopper was a HAC in the SARDET when I was Mini and he's a good guy. That DET was filled with good people who were excited to be in the fleet and be HSC pilots. They had some great esprit d'corps and seemed to make the best of their patrol. To include getting all black flight suits to be super tactical. I also flew my last flight in a USN aircraft with Whopper and that DET so I admittedly have a soft spot.

He's also just come back to the world from what seemed to be a unique experience so we can probably forgive him for being a bit gungy as he reflects.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Dumb question: are you automatically “winged” in the AF when you do an IST?

Yes, I basically just gave them a copy of my NATOPS. They reviewed it and validated the requirements for wings.

The Navy does the same thing with guys coming from other services. The only real hiccup I've seen is the instrument ratings of Army guys coming over.

robav8r

None
Contributor
Yes, I basically just gave them a copy of my NATOPS. They reviewed it and validated the requirements for wings.

The Navy does the same thing with guys coming from other services. The only real hiccup I've seen is the instrument ratings of Army guys coming over.
Cool . . . . thanks.

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None

Yeah, and despite 1500 hours in a Seahawk, the Army made me go through the UH-60A AQC before they would let me wear Army wings. (I can't roll my eyes enough without risking a serious injury!)

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
HSC v HSM, the ultimate cripple fight
I can remember the 4 person cage matches with HSL (H-2), HSL (H-60), HC (H-46) and HS (H-3) all busting each others chops. Then the P-3 guy stumbles in and everyone goes straight for the drink holder on the yoke and the microwave (I know...convection) oven ..and the ehh hem...bunks in the back.

We do the same thing with the 47 and 72 guys here. The Apache guys??? Noone wants to talk to them...beside, you can't get a word in with them anyway.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I remember as an SNA at Whiting, the Navy was all over IST for army aviators 2 fill in the experience gap with the introduction of the Seahawk. A number of former Army guys, designated Army Aviators with loads of UH-60A time the Navy needed immediately. These guys showed up wearing khakis, lieutenant bars, and gold wings on their chests and we're going to do a short course through the HT's.

A huge pissing contest ensued with CNATRA raising hell that only he had the power to designate Naval Aviators and certainly not BuPers.

If I recall these accomplished Army dudes had to cycle back to VT's.

I suspect payback @RobLyman ?

red_stang65

pilot
Starboard D. For some reason, we’ve lost sight of the fact that being there to rescue someone whose life hangs in the balance somehow isn’t cool enough to be proud of.

Where will we find such men, Brett327? I sure hope the HSC bubbas you speak of will be able to find it within themselves to stop complaining and do something helpful/valuable for Big Navy. Sarcasm aside, I know full well that every Sailor, regardless of community, will be giving their all to help in the search.

In all honesty, though, Brett327, what ever made you think that any HSC/HSM pilot has “lost sight” of their responsibility (nay, calling) to be there on call “so others may live”? It’s baked into every mission set we do. Just fly Starboard D? Sure, we can do that, but what about if you go down away from Mom’s IZ? Heaven forbid it be on shore somewhere, and in an unprepared zone, at that. Oh, and it better just have been a maintenance malfunction, because we certainly shouldn’t want to have to defend ourselves or you going in or out. Maybe we should be able to rescue you in an environment where you train to operate as well?

I’ve never understood the cognitive dissidence of some jet bubbas. In one breath, they preach about the CVW’s ability to project power from the sea quickly and before the Air Force or Army can get basing rights, and in the next breath poo-poo their fellow Naval Aviators asking for the smallest bit of support to protect and recover their fixed-wing brethren during such actions. Maybe it stems from the fact that I’ve yet to be able to go to an Air Wing Fallon and not meet Hornet WTIs who don’t even know helicopters have hoists...But thanks, Brett327, for clearing up what my priorities should be.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I wonder if it’s even possible in this day and age to bust each other’s balls without someone getting butthurt? Ah, the times when we used to be able to give other communities shit, all in good fun.

I can appreciate his dig if it weren't for two things. 1) If you and I were chatting and I make a comment about how HSC guys can't stop hitting thins with their blades, you'd chuckle and acknowledge that there's some truth to the dig. But this was an unsolicited tweet by "the public" after Jack made himself an unofficial PAO by doing the AFG article. I get it, I would joke around with people at air shows too, but it's different when all that's posted 147 (or whatever) characters.

2) When you do make a tongue-in-cheek tweet about how awesome your community is because you do "PR" and "SOF" (which can mean literally anything) but then also state in your interview that you didn't have much experience landing in the dirt, there's a little bit of a credibility problem and yeah, I'm going to mock you a bit. You know, just like busting your balls about trees/light poles and rotor blades.

As you say, one should be able to bust another's balls, but when you put yourself out there in the public view (in this case social media), it's a two-way street.

I’ve never understood the cognitive dissidence of some jet bubbas. In one breath, they preach about the CVW’s ability to project power from the sea quickly and before the Air Force or Army can get basing rights, and in the next breath poo-poo their fellow Naval Aviators asking for the smallest bit of support to protect and recover their fixed-wing brethren during such actions. Maybe it stems from the fact that I’ve yet to be able to go to an Air Wing Fallon and not meet Hornet WTIs who don’t even know helicopters have hoists...But thanks, Brett327, for clearing up what my priorities should be.

Maybe I misread, but I think Brett was very specifically agreeing with the whole point of your post.