• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Should I stay or should I go? Or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying And Love HSC.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I always thought the way tactics should be thought of in HSC: master doing helicopter stuff (landing, formation flying, etc) and apply it to many different mission sets keeping in mind your limitations if called upon to actually perform those mission sets if WW3 starts. I never saw any reason to get all butt hurt about Narnia and training to unlikely mission sets (CSAR, SOF, fucking CAS?!?!?). The complexity of those missions, in my opinion, makes for better SAR, log, and SSC pilots anyways. I don't think its that absurd to embrace the jack of all trades, master of none mindset.
I always figured that was the best way to make peace between the SWTP and what you actually did in the real world.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Go watch the HSC community video I posted in another thread. Good footage of what @lowflier detailed. Also, that video is a good optic in to what HSC is trying to market.
Just watched the HSM community video you posted (with all Romeos). It was the one with Millennial background music. Was there an HSC video?

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
HS was also launched during Libya. I used to work with at least one of the AWs that was on that mission.

Wasn't that HS, still? Not asking to take away from the mission, but counting HS missions for modern HSC seems like comparing the HSL mission to the current (and much better) HSM integration. Honest question, not discounting the point of your post.

More recently, HSC did stuff IVO Libya also, but that is the extent of what can be said here. EMIO is a bit like the NAAD, it is more complicated than HS vs HSC because at least 3 different squadrons rotated through the mission during it's existence.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
giphy.gif

At least that is what we figured the buoy launcher in the B would do if we lost the tail rotor and hit the "jettison all stores sono" button.
DEATH BLOSSOM!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
More recently, HSC did stuff IVO Libya also, but that is the extent of what can be said here. EMIO is a bit like the NAAD, it is more complicated than HS vs HSC because at least 3 different squadrons rotated through the mission during it's existence.

Copy. When I was a DH, one of the other DHs (former HS guy) had done that as a HS guy.

The Med in general has definitely received its fair share of rotary attention the last year or 3.

Sonog

pilot
A Block III MH-60S can carry:
1x M-197 20mm cannon + 19 shot Rocket Pod (can be dumb rockets with various warheads or APKWS)
1x M-197 20mm cannon + 4x AGM-114
2x 19 shot Rocket Pods
8x AGM-114
4x AGM-114 + 19 shot Rocket Pod (There are some software issues that currently make this combo not a good idea)

Plus a combination of M-240 (7.62mm) in the windows and/or GAU-21 (.50cal) in the doors. With the correct mounts the Navy could add a GAU-17 miniguns in place of the M-240s.

Software is no longer an issue.

Everyone wants GAU-17s in the windows. Imagine going out with a minigun and a long gun on each side for FIAC defense? NO WINGS!

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Imagine going out with a minigun and a long gun on each side for FIAC defense? NO WINGS!
As my old squadron's FAC/FIAC SME referred to them . . . "Assholes with jetskis."

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
How many times has HS/C stood CSAR alert and watched other units execute the mission?

(Genuine question)

You mean like when the MC-12 went down in Iraq in ‘16 and the Peshmerga secured the crash site so the CSAR helo could pick up the crew after getting their pilot proficiency landings in? ;)

Armed Helo’s are great for FAC/FIAC around the strike group. Obviously overland quals help to legitimize the funding expenditure for that program. It’s one thing to dabble in or do the mission in a pinch but Navy helo pilots shouldn’t expect more than one off incidents where they’re relied upon. When it comes down to it the Army and the Air Force are far better funded to train and equip for overland missions.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You mean like when the MC-12 went down in Iraq in ‘16 and the Peshmerga secured the crash site so the CSAR helo could pick up the crew after getting their pilot proficiency landings in? ;)

Armed Helo’s are great for FAC/FIAC around the strike group. Obviously overland quals help to legitimize the funding expenditure for that program. It’s one thing to dabble in or do the mission in a pinch but Navy helo pilots shouldn’t expect more than one off incidents where they’re relied upon. When it comes down to it the Army and the Air Force are far better funded to train and equip for overland missions.
It’s telling that the one RW guy who has spent most of his career actually doing what HSC wishes it did liked the above post.

Last edited:

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
With the myriad mission sets HSC guys try to do, I'm wondering how much flight time a JO in a CVW HSC squadron is getting each month. During maintenance phase, workups, and deployment? Is there enough flight time to go around that would ever come close to being enough to yield proficiency (or basic safety) in all those missions? CVW HSC squadrons have, what, 30 pilots?

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Subject line change? Nice! Whoever did it...

I think that gets down to the purity and essence of our precious mission sets.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
It’s telling that the one RW guy who has spent most of his career actually doing was HSC wishes it did liked the above post.
So much truth there.
With the myriad mission sets HSC guys try to do, I'm wondering how much a JO pilot in a CVW HSC squadron is getting each month. During maintenance phase, workups, and deployment? Is there enough flight time to go around that would ever come close to being enough to yield proficiency (or basic safety) in all those missions?

They weren’t when I left, nor would I say we did when I was there. We spent the vast majority of our time making right hand turns, or jumping in the pattern to see how many approaches we could get in one bag.

There were very few proficiency flights, and almost always it was a currency flight.

I’d be very interested to see what their NCEA is for the rockets and the cannon. No way in hell I’d want to be around someone that doesn’t get to shoot often.

At 85 I think we popped off over a million rounds of 7.62 in a year, and it was evident with our gunners.