• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

should fat people pay more?

Recidivist

According to this BBC article the aussies are thinking of charging more for fat passengers.

I think it makes sense, and I voted yes in the poll.
what do you think?

If this is a repost, please delete. Search only let me search for "people," because "fat" is too short.

m3urthy

Why don't you have a seat right over there.
I bought my dorm-mate a carbon offset because he was such a fatso, and I felt bad for the planet.

YES.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
My only concern is where is the 'fat' line drawn. Is it going to be a weight thing only, or some kind of mass index? Some big dudes weight quite a bit, but wouldn't have any problems still fitting in a seat.

Oh, and to the 'health groups' who are so concerned about the emotional stress of the fat people - if they have no problem letting their belly hang lower than their willy I'm sure they have noticed they are disgusting. The emotional problems don't come from a fat tax as much as the face they see in the mirror everyday. (and what they are NOT seeing w/o a mirror ;) )

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Do you take up one seat? Then you pay for one seat.

Do you ooze into another seat? Then you pay for, and receive, two seats.

Easy peasy, and keeps fatties from literally sweating on me.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
I used to work for helicopter company in Alaska. We flew tourists to a glacier for a tour. If someone weighed over 250lbs we charged them an extra half-seat. The helos had 17" seats (standard airline seats) but no arm rests. People would bitch and complain (the tour was already very expensive) when they had to pay the extra half. Thing was, we'd leave a full seat empty, so the company lost 1/2 a seat due to some fat-ass passenger.

If someone wants to be fat then let them - but don't expect me to cut them any slack. If you're a hippo and you take up more than one seat, you should pay for it. I've sat next to fat people and complained until I was moved or they were moved. If i was moved, i got a crappier seat (thought sans fat person) and was treated like I was an asshole. if they moved, they were put in biz or first class - total BS!

I could rant so much longer...

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Absolutely. If you require more than one seat, you pay for more than one seat. End of story. It's not the airline's fault or anyone else's fault that you are too fat for the seat. In fact, your morbid obesity adversely affects other passengers and the airplane. Fix yourself or pay up!

BourneID

pilot
Several US Airline companies brought this up about 2 years ago. I think its a great idea, especially if you are prone to being stuck in a middle seat between two fatties.

MasterBates

While I am a large guy, I do fit in one airline seat..

Width wise anyways... SWA is the only airline I seen to not have to be in an exit row on to have legroom in coach.

I despise sitting next to fat people.. Especially when they complain about you wanting the aisle seat. I have NEVER had a fattie get up so I can piss without a 5 minute whine fest about "but its HARD for me to get up"

I told the last fat chick I got seated next to on my way from BWI to HOU that "you really should have a Diet Coke instead" when she ordered a coke. She almost started crying. I said, "if I could have gotten up and pissed without having to ask you nicely for 10 minutes before I called the FA to make you let me out, we would not be having this conversation now. If you kept your weight in check, we would have had neither conversation. Who knows I may have actually asked for your phone number"

It kills me when I see what would be a pretty girl, just gorge herself on food until she gets to Manatee proportions. Her purse was like a mobile 7-11 with snackycakes. Slow metabolism my arse.

/end I am sick of dealing with obese people rant.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
While I am a large guy, I do fit in one airline seat..

Width wise anyways... SWA is the only airline I seen to not have to be in an exit row on to have legroom in coach.

I despise sitting next to fat people.. Especially when they complain about you wanting the aisle seat. I have NEVER had a fattie get up so I can piss without a 5 minute whine fest about "but its HARD for me to get up"

I told the last fat chick I got seated next to on my way from BWI to HOU that "you really should have a Diet Coke instead" when she ordered a coke. She almost started crying. I said, "if I could have gotten up and pissed without having to ask you nicely for 10 minutes before I called the FA to make you let me out, we would not be having this conversation now. If you kept your weight in check, we would have had neither conversation. Who knows I may have actually asked for your phone number"

It kills me when I see what would be a pretty girl, just gorge herself on food until she gets to Manatee proportions. Her purse was like a mobile 7-11 with snackycakes. Slow metabolism my arse.

/end I am sick of dealing with obese people rant.
Which brings us to the "It's what's on the inside that counts" arguement. Bullcrap....clogged arteries, an overworked heart, etc is what is on the inside.....For guys that ever get crap for only going out with skinny minnies, your response should be that you are protecting your gene pool, you want your mate to live as long as you, and you want your mate to have an active lifestyle and to be able to keep up with you. That whole "It's what is on the inside that counts" is a ridiculous arguement when you consider the health and emotional repercussions of being overweight and keeling over at age 43 while eating Ben&Jerry's while watching General Hospital.

cosmania

Gitty Up!
pilot
I've gone corporate and yet still find time to exercise daily. That time happens to be a 5am, but it's a priority in my life. Oh yeah, my wife works out daily and my kids exercise a lot too. Oh and we're not fat, it must be our metabolism. I love when the fat guy gets the middle seat. I always board early so I can put the armrest down, just in case. By the way, review the NTSB reports for flight 5481 in Charlotte which opened our eyes to how heavy Americans have become. All passengers should be weighed and seated accordingly.

Recidivist

Stupid people cost the airlines a lot more than fatties ... I think we should charge more for idiots and cretins. :)

Where do you stand on that ... ????

Well, Stupid people cost everybody a lot more than fat people (although some may argue the line is considerably blurred in certain cases). My stance? The airlines should put together a complex system where your BMI is multiplied by your IQ and the hours of your flight, and divided by your age. A panel of 7-10 judges appraise your physical appearance and rate you on a 1-10 scale which is also divides the product of your BMI, IQ and flight duration. We'll call the final number the "Suitability Quotient," or SQ. If your SQ is within 11.8% of your ticket price in USD, then you pay no more. If not, your rate is adjusted.

As a Bonus, the airlines could offer a "matching service" free of charge as people with similar SQ's could be seated together.