• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Shore Duties

robav8r

None
Contributor
I don't know how many DH non-screens are ending up heading out on IA's, but I would suspect that is getting higher on the list of options.
I'll tell you what, this IA monster is growing larger and larger with each passing day. Log onto NKO and check out the billet spreadsheet and the amount of info being published about them. Folks need to get smart about when (not if) they are going to do their IA if they are planning on staying in the Navy for the next five years. Granted, I got a good one in Tampa for only six months (which oh by the way expires in Nov'07). Bottom line - approach IA's like you do every other tour/assignment and try to do it when it best suits you.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
^^It will probably become one of the must-haves for promotion. Sorta like the original IA for aviators...the boat.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Some of us Prowler folk were discussing this the other day: Since NPC is now indicating that an IA may be looked at favorably by selection/screening boards, and the fact that, at least initially, commands were sending their S-birds on IAs, there may be a situation in the future (if not properly managed) where said S-birds are going to make it through the very DH screen process which was designed to cull them in the first place. Obviously, if the community is on top of things, this shouldn't happen, but it's something worth thinking about.

Brett

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
^^ you're exactly right. I don't know how well managed it is, either. I had a bud come back from Djibouti 6 mos IA. He called the detailer looking for advice on the next tour, etc, and the detailer told him to stand by for an IA. The detailer had no idea this dude had been on an IA already. I too hope this doesn't turn out to be a "get-well" tour for the pack minus crowd.

robav8r

None
Contributor
^^ you're exactly right. I don't know how well managed it is, either. I had a bud come back from Djibouti 6 mos IA. He called the detailer looking for advice on the next tour, etc, and the detailer told him to stand by for an IA. The detailer had no idea this dude had been on an IA already. I too hope this doesn't turn out to be a "get-well" tour for the pack minus crowd.
All good points. I'll be curious to see what the various selection board precepts say about a member who is on or has completed an IA.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Some of us Prowler folk were discussing this the other day: Since NPC is now indicating that an IA may be looked at favorably by selection/screening boards, and the fact that, at least initially, commands were sending their S-birds on IAs, there may be a situation in the future (if not properly managed) where said S-birds are going to make it through the very DH screen process which was designed to cull them in the first place. Obviously, if the community is on top of things, this shouldn't happen, but it's something worth thinking about.

Brett

If you go back to the IA thread, you'll notice that I posted something from NPC specifically about IAs and their "attractiveness" to future boards. I'm pretty sure it's already on everyone's radar, it's just as several of you have already mentioned, it's not managed very well. Sounds like Ops normal, in some respects.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
[threadjack]

..... If not, then Shamu gets closed out of my retirement. Which is also cool.
I thought you had to be married for 9 years of active duty before Shamu got a bite????? At least, that was what they said at my divorce.

My ex tried to claim 50% of my retirement since we had 10 years of my active duty time while keeping all of hers since we had 8 years of her active duty time. The magic cut off was 9 years (this was 1997). The Judge told my wife nice try, but since we were both active duty that stupid law did not apply and we both kept our own retirements. I retired and got mine while the ex was passed over for O4 twice and booted off active duty. Hee, hee.......:D

[/threadjack]

MasterBates

Fed law does not give her squat.

However, FL MAY give her a percentage. Lastest guesstimate is 10% of my end of it..

I need to compare the odds of her getting remarried or driving into another train again sometime in the next 13 years.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
You're such an idealist. ;) Lets face it, being a squadron CO is an important job, but it's not like being in charge of a carrier or CENTCOM. In other words, it's not rocket science. If they're going to give it to someone on that basis (Det 5), why not you?

Brett

It's obvious it isn't rocket science judging by some past front offices. I never came in this navy to be a CO anyway. If CO were my ultimate desire, I would have gone or at least fought to have gone. Hopefully things will change where the front office considers ahead of time who they are sending. Send the most deserving, not a guy who needs to heal. There's no doubt it's a hard job, being an OIC for two years but it shouldn't be an automatic for top dog, all the time, everytime. The OIC's coming out of there are not always the best and brightest.

The Japan det effects more than just OIC, it affects the JO level as well. The top JO may not get the top spot if he comes into play with a DET 5 JO. Such is life in the Navy, not all is fair. Luckily, one of our best and one of my JO's got a #1 EP and Greyhound pilot of the year vs a DET 5 JO. It was a battle that I fought and eventually won but not alone. All the O-4's had to step in and push for this guy; he was no doubt the better JO. The front office in their ungainly love for DET 5 decided that in this case, they would give the #1 EP and Greyhound pilot of the year to two different people :confused: So the DET 5 guy would get the pilot of the year. Of course he never got it because of a personal issue that made headlines. Life is a bitch and of course in the Navy, not all is fair.

JWL

The sheer number of possible paths your career can take in the Navy or Marine Corps make this almost impossible to answer. In the Air Force, you can pretty much map out what you are going to be doing, and if/what you are going to be flying. It's a cold, efficient personnel machine.

The Department of the Navy couldn't be more different. Some guys fly, some guys don't. Many Marines pick up a rifle and a radio and go be FACs. Some of each get to fly at the RAG, others at Pax river. Some get sent to the surface fleet as assistant air bosses, while others don the epaulet and herd stars around.

Bottom line: there is rarely, if ever, even a "ballpark" answer to questions like this pertaining to our line of work... and I'm willing to bet that most of the guys in the game like it like that.

Semper Fi and BEAR DOWN
Is that a major difference between Air Force and Navy/Marines? Air Force pilots fly all the time, while Naval Aviators may not always fly?

Secondly, is the first shore tour typically an instructor pilot tour where one can still fly? I assume if one goes to grad school for a shore tour, one does not fly.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Is that a major difference between Air Force and Navy/Marines? Air Force pilots fly all the time, while Naval Aviators may not always fly?

Secondly, is the first shore tour typically an instructor pilot tour where one can still fly? I assume if one goes to grad school for a shore tour, one does not fly.
Yes

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor

A solid decade resurrection...some straight Lazarus shit right there!

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

No, the Air Force has plenty of staff and non-flying billets for their pilots just like the Navy and Marines.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
No, the Air Force has plenty of staff and non-flying billets for their pilots just like the Navy and Marines.
Yes they do, but many of them are nowhere near as shitty as the boat, there are often careerist Officers who voluntarily take these "opportunities to excel" and there is a FAR better chance of flying your entire contract in the Air Force. I had many colleagues who did just that when I was in their world. It is virtually impossible to do that in non-tacair Naval Aviation.

TL;DR: if you want to command something, the Air Force makes you do staff BS, too. If you want to avoid that at all costs and fly your whole contract, it's very possible in the AF, and not so much in the Navy. Hell, in the Navy these days, you're lucky to fly for your second tour at all. Long gone are the days when people could look down on TRACOM IPs.