• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Shore Duties

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
In most communities, DH screening is tighter than the cut to O-4. At last years board, plenty of folks picked up LCDR with little chance of screening for DH.

Well, it really couldn't be any other way, statistically speaking, but I digress. :D Obvisously, screen rates are better in some communities than others. For the moment, better to be VFA and VAQ than VP. Of course, all of that could be OBE by the time the OP is in that position.

Brett

robav8r

None
Contributor
DH selection

In most communities, DH screening is tighter than the cut to O-4. At last years board, plenty of folks picked up LCDR with little chance of screening for DH.
Not sure if anyone alse has seen or heard the numbers, but I'm hearing YG's 97-99 to be just as bad or worse than YG-96 for DH selection. YG-00 is supposed to be the YG that is "right-sized" for Naval Aviations needs.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
Of course it won't be better than the rate to O-4, but it wasn't that long ago that there wasn't a DH screen at all. Plus you have to remember that DH isn't a statutory board - if your community wants you then you will be fine.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
For HC/HM 53s, YG96 is the first year for DH screen. With the whole 30 month DH tour, it will make for about a 50% DH rate. Pretty big cut for us, when in the past it was 100%. So much for the DH tour where you punch your ticket(s) and are out in 14 months. There were several guys in YG97 that didn't even make O4 this time around.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
One of my guys will be up for DH in HSL next year and the numbers are pretty bleak for them as well. I don't know how many DH non-screens are ending up heading out on IA's, but I would suspect that is getting higher on the list of options.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
One of my guys will be up for DH in HSL next year and the numbers are pretty bleak for them as well. I don't know how many DH non-screens are ending up heading out on IA's, but I would suspect that is getting higher on the list of options.

This is news to me. The last set of numbers from FY-06 were about 70%-ish. I wouldn't call that bleak. Bert, if you're working w/ HSL guys w/ the -60R, I wonder if we know some of the same people. Chris C. ring a bell? I think he might be up your way.

@Sundevil:

It really depends on timing for the first shore-duty orders. When I was up for mine, they flying tours were tough to come by. A bit later, not so much. Other rotary communities seemed to have an easier time of it. Maybe it was all a smoke-screen from the front office.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
Barring an increase in resignations, I can't see HSL's numbers being as good as 70% next year. That being said, 70% seems bleak to a guy who couldn't have avoided a DH tour, so it is all about perspective.

Gatordev makes a good point about your front office - many will try and steer you to a job that slots with the FITREP they intend to give you.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
That being said, 70% seems bleak to a guy who couldn't have avoided a DH tour, so it is all about perspective.

Good point. Is the DH look the same FY as the O-4 look? It's a different board, right?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Gatordev makes a good point about your front office - many will try and steer you to a job that slots with the FITREP they intend to give you.

Ideally, that should be a coordinated effort to include detailers and placement folks. My community does a pretty good job of steering people's careers IAW the kind of paper they have on file with NPC - as it should be.

Brett

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
Which is why it isn't a bad idea to answer "FRS Instructor" when your CO asks you what your goals are on your check-in interview.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
They let Bunky pass....

That hurts :p

I don't know what the screen rate is for DH or O-4 in the COD community though I dare to say, it's probably higher than others. We have to take E-2 O-4's for DH tours being there aren't enough COD types to go around. I think as long as one moves from left to right on his FITREPS, getting making the DH screen shouldn't be to hard in the COD community. For anyone who wants COD skipper, become the DET-5 OIC. Of course now days, still have to roll into a joint job after the fact but the front office will make all sorts of excuses for ya if your det does bad (has mishaps, fails inspections, etc). They have in the past and will in the future. Probably one of the easiest routes to CO in the Navy. Only one DET 5 OIC hasn't made Skipper since as long as I've been associated or known about the COD community and it wasn't due to poor performance. He was prior enlisted for 12 years, has 24+ years in and rolled into a flying job down here at P-cola. That last one is probably what did it more than anything. He made O-5 but is retiring this year before he pins it on.

Making O-5 will be tougher than it used to be for our community. I don't know if joint is key for O-5 but it won't hurt. I left my DH tour with a 9 month #2 EP (the DET 5 OIC finished with me and guess who wins that one?), all my FITREPS go from left to right (competitve EP's in my first sea tour with the soft sell), etc but I don't know if it's enough. I've been asked by a few O-5's down here as to why I would roll into a P-cola flying job, bad for the career. My best and only answer is because I wanted to. If I don't make O-5, awesome, I stay here and fly to retirement. If I do, I get to fly for almost 3 years before I have to go do one more sea tour then retire. Works out IMO. I wouldn't recommend it for those who really want O-5 or who really want command though. Not the way it's done anymore (that's if you get the number 1 EP like the DET 5 OIC did and came down here).

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Bunky, Det 5 is Japan, right?

Yes and your path to command...it's there for the taking. Believe it or not, last year I was asked by the CO if I would take DET 5. I don't know if he was serious or just out of options but my response was and still would be today, No F$%!ing Way! It's personal but I have major misgivings about giving command to a guy just because they take a det in a Japan. Taking that det doesn't give anyone special ability to lead or fly. Regardless, it can be yours for the taking.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yes and your path to command...it's there for the taking. Believe it or not, last year I was asked by the CO if I would take DET 5. I don't know if he was serious or just out of options but my response was and still would be today, No F$%!ing Way! It's personal but I have major misgivings about giving command to a guy just because they take a det in a Japan. Taking that det doesn't give anyone special ability to lead or fly. Regardless, it can be yours for the taking.

You're such an idealist. ;) Lets face it, being a squadron CO is an important job, but it's not like being in charge of a carrier or CENTCOM. In other words, it's not rocket science. If they're going to give it to someone on that basis (Det 5), why not you?

Brett