• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ship selection question

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
well, in either case, it seems clear to me that the OCS SWOs get a worse deal than either USNA or NROTC SWOs.

Bad deal? Maybe, but you need to understand the intent of OCS. It's not just another way to get fat off the government teet. It's an augment to the "regular" accession programs. OCS is there to fill slots that aren't met through USNA and ROTC (an overly simplified explanation, but you get the idea).

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
And it probably depends on luck too. I'm not an OCS type, but our first SWO LT here at my unit was an OCS product and he snagged either a DDG or FFG (can't remember which) out of Pearl Harbor. I don't know how their process for ship selection works, but timing probably is a factor there.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
As is everything... While I was at OCS there were a set of orders that only included Norfolk, Texas, and Japan, and a set that had only San Diego, Hawaii, Japan, and Norfolk. There were orders that most would consider "good places to go" in just about every set I saw. Some more than others.

BigRed389

None
Inglesides nice.. Plus there are lots of SNAs close by!

SWO by day, SNAG by night!

Oddly enough, the few female NAs I've met around here have ALL been smokin hot.

All of em helo types too...

And for timing, yup, you always have a few guys with weird PRD's so OCS grads can fill in during the Ensign droughts between ROTC/USNA graduations.

mike172

GO NAVY
/THREAD JACK/

This is just something I heard, rather read on sailorbob. When the promotions to LCDR/CDR for SWOs came out it was disproportionately in favor of those who spent their first tour on DDGs, CGs. I think 1 FFG guy got picked up for CDR. They were saying that the ship class you do your DIVO tour on seems (at least the last few years) to effects your promotions down the road. Not just only ones performance on a ship performance. Does anyone have any info on this?

I ask because I can't get on sailorbob anymore for some reason

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
This is coming from what the SWO/N explained to me:

FFGs and DDG/CGs are different "platforms" because of the lack/presence of the Aegis system, which was explained to me as "a video game that lets you aim missiles." The guy doing the VIP/interviews was not Aegis qualified, so he could only serve aboard FFGs and CVs. I don't think it was a big deal to him because he was prior enlisted and gave the impression he was going to get out after his 20 years, which would put him at LCDR tops.

Could be that they needed Aegis qualified XOs and COs.

San Diego, Hawaii, Mayport.

Japan too for some people.
What makes Hawaii so good? From what I know of Hawaii, it's a pain in the ass to live there and most of it's a shithole -- technology from the CONUS doesn't exactly get there in a timely fashion.

As a submariner, Mayport won't be a possibility anyway.

Follow up question: which stations would one generally want to avoid?

Sinatra

ALOHA LAMPS
NROTC SWO ranking list is out......

http://www.npc.navy.mil/Officer/SurfaceWarfare/Midshipmen/

but, nobody from my school was on it.... so what is going on now?

That means that all but 3 graduating seniors are in limbo. Of the lucky 3, 2 are sub vols, they wanted it from the get go, and 1 is NFO..... The rest of us are 3 weeks from grad and don't even know what community we're getting..... WTF, right?

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
As i recall, NROTC and USNA mids pick out of different pots when it comes to SWO selection.

I loved watching them play "fantasy fleet", good times.

whalepelt

As i recall, NROTC and USNA mids pick out of different pots when it comes to SWO selection.

I loved watching them play "fantasy fleet", good times.

True. The academy has already selected; until the list that Sinatra linked to came out, ROTC was waiting to hear.

gotta_fly

pilot
NROTC SWO ranking list is out......

http://www.npc.navy.mil/Officer/SurfaceWarfare/Midshipmen/

but, nobody from my school was on it.... so what is going on now?

That means that all but 3 graduating seniors are in limbo. Of the lucky 3, 2 are sub vols, they wanted it from the get go, and 1 is NFO..... The rest of us are 3 weeks from grad and don't even know what community we're getting..... WTF, right?

I mentioned this to a couple of my future SWO buddies and they were shocked to learn that the list was out. I love that the system is so confused right now that I can't find out anything about my own orders, but I'm giving the SWO guys the scoop for their information off of AW.

Sinatra

ALOHA LAMPS
Oh I hear ya! Ready to be a NROTC stashed Ensign? Paperwork B**ch?

Maybe, just maybe there will be more coming out tomorrow since the "SWO List" is out (note "" on SWO List indicative of the possibility of it changing too due to how short the list is)

Did the SWO hopefuls where you are get placed on the list?

gotta_fly

pilot
Most of them, although there is one missing and one who shouldn't be there. If you have a moment, check out entry #108- that dude has the coolest name I've ever seen.