• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ship selection question

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My roommates and I were commenting on that exact person last night too. Seriously, why wouldn't he (I'm assuming it's a dude) get his name changed at age 18? That would have been my first order of business.

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
My roommates and I were commenting on that exact person last night too. Seriously, why wouldn't he (I'm assuming it's a dude) get his name changed at age 18? That would have been my first order of business.

Are you kidding? That's pretty much the greatest name ever.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
/THREAD JACK/

This is just something I heard, rather read on sailorbob. When the promotions to LCDR/CDR for SWOs came out it was disproportionately in favor of those who spent their first tour on DDGs, CGs. I think 1 FFG guy got picked up for CDR. They were saying that the ship class you do your DIVO tour on seems (at least the last few years) to effects your promotions down the road. Not just only ones performance on a ship performance. Does anyone have any info on this?

I ask because I can't get on sailorbob anymore for some reason

It couldn't be because there are more DDGs & CGs than all CV(N)s, Amphibs, and FFGs combined, could it?

phrogpilot73

It couldn't be because there are more DDGs & CGs than all CV(N)s, Amphibs, and FFGs combined, could it?
Yup:

22 CG + 52 DDG = 74

3 LHA + 7 LHD + 30 FFG + 10 CVN + 1 CV + 12 LSD + 9 LPD = 72

EDIT - Never mind... I miscounted. Only 30 FFG, which sucks 'cause it was cool that the numbers worked out to be exact.

So you're right - 72 vice 74...

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Wow. Good to know. That one, along with Nassau, IWO, and Wasp are the only ones I haven't landed on , Big Deck Gator side. Puls Makin Island if you count that one. Is it in service yet?

gotta_fly

pilot
Congratulations to MIDN Steamboat Rock, and the crew of the USS Antietam. Hopefully they will be very happy together.

USCGSSO

I'm a former Coast Guardsman, and was just pro-rec'd for SWO. I'm trying to think ahead to my first tour and am looking for some input. I will try my best for a CG/DDG to familiarize myself with AEGIS...is there any huge difference between the two, aside from size/age? My prior time included a tour aboard an 87-foot patrol boat (where I was an EOW, Inport-OOD, Coxswain, Boarding team member, DCPO, rescue swimmer and sharpshooter...I'm used to the general-purpose thing), so that is my only afloat experience to date. Seasickness was a problem at times; I don't anticipate that aboard ships nearly 6 times as long and literally 100 times heavier, although from the looks of CG's they're top-heavy. Any difference in missions, op-tempo, ship-board life, ease of qualification, etc? Any input is highly appreciated.

BigRed389

None
CGs tend to spend more time attached to the hip with the carrier when deployed...but they can be seen doing independent ops too. Independent ops are good...both for liberty ports and variety of missions.
CG leadership is also more senior, O-6 CO instead of O-5, some DH jobs are 2nd tour jobs while they would be a 1st tour job on a DDG.
Some warfare capabilities differences between the two, but nothing worth worrying about for your 1st tour.

The other differences (QOL and quals) are so minor that leadership style and command climate will have more impact than the platform itself.

SeaHawk2011

FinSel SWO
Bad gouge. If you haven't been there yourself you shouldn't be spreading "I heard" rumors around.

The way it actually works at OCS is around the time you become a candidate officer the LT that handles all the SWOs sends off for a set of orders. If there are 8 SWOs left in the class at this point, then he will get 8 sets of orders. At this same time the entire OCS class is ranked. This ranking also determines what your Candio billet will be (well most of the time) and what your graduation rank in the class will be. This is a pretty subjective ranking because the majority of what goes in to the ranking is based on the class team's opinion. This can be good or bad for you and your mileage may very. When they have everyones ranking they will call all the SWOs down and they will go in one by one and pick their orders out of the set of orders that the LT has. Whoever is the highest ranked SWO will get first pick, second gets second pick, and so on and so forth until you get to the last person who gets whatever orders are left over. At the time they are picking they know the ship and its location and all the pertinent details. The needs of the Navy have already been determined before you ever walk in the room, and the only people that may care about your "wish list" are your classmates. Sometimes a classmate will take one for the team and not chose what another classmate "needs" based on family situations or what not. You can't count on that though because, after all... they're still SWOs...:D

Is this still accurate info?

MasterBates

Having deployed on CV/CVN/CG/DDG and spent a week plus on FFG and DDs, I will say the CG is the most seasickness inducing of them all. It's not the amount of sway, it's the period it seems.

I may be weird, but I also though the CG was the worst of the bunch to land on. The flight deck is high above the ships roll axis that it translates a lot side to side for a given roll angle, plus the burble from the giant ass superstructure.. Seemed to want to "suck you in" if there was a lot of WOD within 30 degrees of the bow. Down the pipes at 20+ I think was the worst, but it's been seven or so years since I last landed on a CG.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Having deployed on CV/CVN/CG/DDG and spent a week plus on FFG and DDs, I will say the CG is the most seasickness inducing of them all. It's not the amount of sway, it's the period it seems.

I may be weird, but I also though the CG was the worst of the bunch to land on. The flight deck is high above the ships roll axis that it translates a lot side to side for a given roll angle, plus the burble from the giant ass superstructure.. Seemed to want to "suck you in" if there was a lot of WOD within 30 degrees of the bow. Down the pipes at 20+ I think was the worst, but it's been seven or so years since I last landed on a CG.

Pretty accurate description.

USCGSSO

Thanks for the heads up. I'm former Coast Guard helo aircrew going SWO, so your perspective helped me a lot.