• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ship selection question

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
so i have a question which hopefully will only be to satisfy my curiousity (since i really am hoping to do aviation and not boats).

if you are an NROTC student, and you both select SWO and are selected for SWO, do you get to do a ship selection like at the boatschool? (http://www.usna.com/NetCommunity/Document.Doc?id=673 , p.7) or because you aren't USNA, you should just count yourself lucky that they put you on a ship at all instead of tossing you in a rubber dinghy with a paddle?

Future SWO?

Final Select SWO 1/25 OCS date 6/14/08
As far as I understand, the SWO designators at OCS all get to pick based upon availablity and class rank. Needs of the Navy come 1st!

mike172

GO NAVY
The way I have been told it happens is... You sit down with your advisor one night. Log onto the computer and basically its like an online draft. You wait for the phone call to come based on your ranking, and then you get to pick a ship on the list. Or so I have been told.

gotta_fly

pilot
I helped a friend of mine with ship selection last year over lunch, and I think it was something like this:

The SWOs are given a time that they can select ships based on their national ranking. During that time period the recruiter/detailer calls them and asks for their first choice, second choice, etc., until they select an available slot.

The ships/locations they can choose from are given to them a few weeks in advance, then updated online hourly (or so) during the selection process so they know what's left when their number comes up.

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
http://www.npc.navy.mil/Officer/SurfaceWarfare/Midshipmen

Soon (as soon as the nukes decide they don't want to blackmail any more mids into going nuke) they'll publish the ship list for NROTC mids and the ranking list so you can watch to see how it happens.

so i see the nrotc ship selection happens after usna ship selection. does this mean that usna MIDN get's first choice ahead of all nrotc MIDN? or are a certain number of slots on each ship allocated to USNA and a certain number allocated to NROTC in advance of usna ship selection? and i wonder what happens to OCS MIDN. they aren't even listed on this website. maybe they don't get a choice of ships?

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
adam28270 said:
Naval Academy MIDN always get to select before NROTC. It's been the source of some frustration that the sub-par MIDN at the academy gets to select his command before the #1 NROTC MIDN. But I guess all the partying we get to do more than makes up for it.

but even if USNA MIDN get to select before NROTC MIDN, that might not mean anything if there are separate allocation of slots for USNA and NROTC. are you saying that there might only be 10 slots on a particular ship, and if the USNA MIDNs take all 10, then there are none left for NROTC MIDN to choose from?

and when do the OCS get to choose? do they choose only after all NROTC MIDN go? or do they choose even before they go to OCS? or do they have no choice at all?

adam28270

Not sure if they split the spots between NROTC and Academy MIDN, but there is definitely the perception of a "better deal" towards the Academy MIDN. Look at the current situation where lots of service selections are being with held in the NROTC world because the Sub-Nuc guys are trying to fill slots. They have required that certain MIDN fill out an application for the interview (not required to go to the interview though). And they are sending several MIDN out to Hawaii and San Diego to recruit. Meanwhile, all the USNA MIDN received their confirmed service selections long before we heard anything about ours.

As for the OCS candidates, I have no idea. You'll have to let one of them tell you if they select before or after. I do know that their selections don't revolve around us though. There are more than 2 OCS classes pre year (only two graduations from college per year). They select on their own, and I would assume that it is at the end of OCS so they can be ranked.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
As for the OCS candidates, I have no idea. You'll have to let one of them tell you if they select before or after. I do know that their selections don't revolve around us though. There are more than 2 OCS classes pre year (only two graduations from college per year). They select on their own, and I would assume that it is at the end of OCS so they can be ranked.
This whole thing seems foreign to me...

From the OCS end, I was told that you speak to your detailer when you are ready to deploy. You get to fill out a "wish list" where you can ask for platform (aegis vs. non-aegis)/duty station/ship name in whatever preference you want. Then the detailer puts you somewhere based on that list and the "needs of the Navy."

xmid

pilot
Contributor
This whole thing seems foreign to me...

From the OCS end, I was told that you speak to your detailer when you are ready to deploy. You get to fill out a "wish list" where you can ask for platform (aegis vs. non-aegis)/duty station/ship name in whatever preference you want. Then the detailer puts you somewhere based on that list and the "needs of the Navy."

Bad gouge. If you haven't been there yourself you shouldn't be spreading "I heard" rumors around.

The way it actually works at OCS is around the time you become a candidate officer the LT that handles all the SWOs sends off for a set of orders. If there are 8 SWOs left in the class at this point, then he will get 8 sets of orders. At this same time the entire OCS class is ranked. This ranking also determines what your Candio billet will be (well most of the time) and what your graduation rank in the class will be. This is a pretty subjective ranking because the majority of what goes in to the ranking is based on the class team's opinion. This can be good or bad for you and your mileage may very. When they have everyones ranking they will call all the SWOs down and they will go in one by one and pick their orders out of the set of orders that the LT has. Whoever is the highest ranked SWO will get first pick, second gets second pick, and so on and so forth until you get to the last person who gets whatever orders are left over. At the time they are picking they know the ship and its location and all the pertinent details. The needs of the Navy have already been determined before you ever walk in the room, and the only people that may care about your "wish list" are your classmates. Sometimes a classmate will take one for the team and not chose what another classmate "needs" based on family situations or what not. You can't count on that though because, after all... they're still SWOs...:D

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
well, in either case, it seems clear to me that the OCS SWOs get a worse deal than either USNA or NROTC SWOs.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Bad gouge. If you haven't been there yourself you shouldn't be spreading "I heard" rumors around.

The way it actually works at OCS is around the time you become a candidate officer the LT that handles all the SWOs sends off for a set of orders. If there are 8 SWOs left in the class at this point, then he will get 8 sets of orders. At this same time the entire OCS class is ranked. This ranking also determines what your Candio billet will be (well most of the time) and what your graduation rank in the class will be. This is a pretty subjective ranking because the majority of what goes in to the ranking is based on the class team's opinion. This can be good or bad for you and your mileage may very. When they have everyones ranking they will call all the SWOs down and they will go in one by one and pick their orders out of the set of orders that the LT has. Whoever is the highest ranked SWO will get first pick, second gets second pick, and so on and so forth until you get to the last person who gets whatever orders are left over. At the time they are picking they know the ship and its location and all the pertinent details. The needs of the Navy have already been determined before you ever walk in the room, and the only people that may care about your "wish list" are your classmates. Sometimes a classmate will take one for the team and not chose what another classmate "needs" based on family situations or what not. You can't count on that though because, after all... they're still SWOs...
Thanks.

The "I heard" was a 20 minute explanation by a SWO/N LT on the VIP trip. Come to think of it, though, he went enlisted to officer, so I guess that's why it was different.

BigRed389

None
well, in either case, it seems clear to me that the OCS SWOs get a worse deal than either USNA or NROTC SWOs.

Yup.

When I selected, I was the only one.

I was offered only 2 options, MCM out of TX or DDG - Norfolk.

That was a no brainer.