• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Shin Splints

asise

It really tied the room together.
Great to hear physical therapy worked for you, can't imagine it was fun. I hope you got some good pills. The pinch of salt in my post is that I usually don't see the exercise related version, so they don't get that option.

Gills

Everybody's been talking about buying good shoes....I sell shoes, the only one's I can sell without having bitches return them are the "Nike airmax 360." Trust me on them. I wear them and sell them to all of my hardcore runners.

Also, for insoles look up "Superfeet." Unless you have broken bones these insoles are amazing and I also have sold a shit ton of them.

just my 3 cents.

Sincerely,
Al Bundy

MrFreakinKite

I will keep this thread updated for anybody in the future with the same problem.

I've taken about a week-long break from running (although I haven't used it as an excuse to not work out at all). I've been doing toe-ups for hours at a time. I will ice them before I go running again tonight.

MrFreakinKite

If these other things don't help, I will go to the running store. I just don't have the money to drop 80 bucks on shoes atm.

Btw... when running, do you hit the ball of your foot on the ground, or your heel? My friend who runs a lot said hit the heel softly, and roll your foot. But I read on the internet somewhere that it's better to run on the balls of your feet... anyone have advice?

BigRed389

None
The couple of very experienced, long distance runners I know all run heel first, but it just never really worked for me. They also take really damn long strides though.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Running on the balls of your feet will likely put more stress on the tibialis anterior...it runs from the outside of your knee, down your tibia, then crosses over your arch.

May not be best for you.

tibialis-anterior.jpg

P3 F0

None
I'd recommend stopping by a running store and get fitted out by one of the runners. They have tons of experience and will know what to get for you.
Yes, yes yes. I'm fighting shin splints right now, too, for some reason. Went out, bought a new pair of running shoes, and it did nothing (and I was doing all of the stretching, ibuprofin, etc). I was going crazy. So I finally went to one of those running shoe stores, where they look at how you run and how your foot rotates, and get a proper shoe for you. Mine has a reinforced arch, since apparently my arch falls a little too much.

It's made a world of difference. I'm still not out of the woods yet, but I can now run 15 minutes without wanting to saw my legs off at the knee. And I saw this the first time I put those shoes on. And really, at that point, I was more than ready to drop $200 on a pair of shoes if I really thought it'd help. Lesson learned, for me: 1) Go to a running shoe store where they know what they're doing, and 2) Do not chintz on the running shoes. Go to the store, try on what they recommend, pick what feels best to your shins, and pay whatever the cost is. It may the most expensive shoe, and it may their cheapest. Don't worry about it either way.

MrFreakinKite

To quote my father...

"Be careful about these 'specialty running stores,' they'll sell the same shoes you can get at academy but for 3x the price."

Of course if I tell him about me posting here, he'll just say playing internet self-diagnosis is unhealthy.

Again, I don't have the money to drop atm BUT I did a lot of stretching, and the toe ups did WONDERS. I went running last night, and had some pain in my heels (i suspect from my soles), but no shin splints. I took it easy, but I can definitely see some improvement.