• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Shin Splints

MrFreakinKite

I get them REALLY bad. I started the Navy's pre-entry physical training program, and the first week my shin splints got so bad that I couldn't even walk. (I could but I didn't want to injure myself) I've bought running shoes. They help, but they didn't solve the problem. I put this in the NROTC forum because I plan to start NROTC in the fall. My 1 mile run is (unfortunately) about 9 minutes. Am I going to get killed at NROTC PT? Anybody else have this problem?

navy09

None
9:00 1 mile works out to a 13:30 1.5 mile assuming you keep the same pace. That just won't cut it man. Are you icing them? Do you have special insoles? People use the shin splint excuse a lot. If you genuinely have them, you should be taking the appropriate measures to treat them (see above), if you still have problems you should see a podiatrist.

Double_A

I had them bad my first year of high school track. The only way I found to get rid of them was to rest for a couple weeks. To prevent them from coming back, I started doing special stretches I found by searching the net and just making sure I was warmed up real well before going too hard

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Are you icing them? Do you have special insoles? People use the shin splint excuse a lot. If you genuinely have them, you should be taking the appropriate measures to treat them (see above), if you still have problems you should see a podiatrist.

+1

I've had problems in the past, but once I got a quality pair of running shoes, they went away. How long have you had the shoes? You might need to lay off for a couple days and start back up.

MrFreakinKite

9:00 1 mile works out to a 13:30 1.5 mile assuming you keep the same pace. That just won't cut it man. Are you icing them? Do you have special insoles? People use the shin splint excuse a lot. If you genuinely have them, you should be taking the appropriate measures to treat them (see above), if you still have problems you should see a podiatrist.

Oh I know it's fuckin horrible. I believe people use the excuse a lot, but why would I use it here? I have no need to explain to anyone on this website why I don't run fast. I'm just looking for advice. Is ice a short-term or long-term remedy? I don't know about "special" insoles, but I do have nice running shoes and some gel insoles. As far as seeing a podiatrist, my parents don't take me to the doctor unless I'm dying or puking my brains out. Seriously, I had a corneal infection once and they waited untill I was so photophobic that the streetlight from 4 houses down came coming through my blinds made my eyes hurt before they brought me to the doctor. I told them about shin splints and they kind of just blew me off. I'm not trying to post complaining about my parents, I just know I can't depend on them to fix it for me. I have to do it myself.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I get them REALLY bad. I started the Navy's pre-entry physical training program, and the first week my shin splints got so bad that I couldn't even walk. (I could but I didn't want to injure myself) I've bought running shoes. They help, but they didn't solve the problem. I put this in the NROTC forum because I plan to start NROTC in the fall. My 1 mile run is (unfortunately) about 9 minutes. Am I going to get killed at NROTC PT? Anybody else have this problem?

There are 2 keys (in my opinion) that help to prevent shin splints:

1. Good shoes
2. Proper stretching

For good shoes, you need to make sure you are buying the right pair. I personally spend about 80 dollars a pair, but that's because its the shoe I feel the most comfortable with. I'd recommend stopping by a running store and get fitted out by one of the runners. They have tons of experience and will know what to get for you. If you're close to Austin, Run Tex is the place to go.

I cannot emphasize how important stretching is, especially if its for a run. From your quads down to your ankles (and especially your ankles), all of it needs to be stretched out prior to hitting the dirt. Below is a good website for some basic stretches:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/stretching/SM00043&slide=1

Also another good technique to preventing splints is continuously rotating your ankles. Whenever you're watching TV or posting on AWs (anything involving sitting down), rotate one of your ankles clockwise for about a minute or so. Then rotate it counter-clockwise. Repeat for the other ankle. Do this i'd say couple times a day and your shin splint problems should be a problem in the past.

Good luck!

MrFreakinKite

There are 2 keys (in my opinion) that help to prevent shin splints:

1. Good shoes
2. Proper stretching

For good shoes, you need to make sure you are buying the right pair. I personally spend about 80 dollars a pair, but that's because its the shoe I feel the most comfortable with. I'd recommend stopping by a running store and get fitted out by one of the runners. They have tons of experience and will know what to get for you. If you're close to Austin, Run Tex is the place to go.

I cannot emphasize how important stretching is, especially if its for a run. From your quads down to your ankles (and especially your ankles), all of it needs to be stretched out prior to hitting the dirt. Below is a good website for some basic stretches:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/stretching/SM00043&slide=1

Also another good technique to preventing splints is continuously rotating your ankles. Whenever you're watching TV or posting on AWs (anything involving sitting down), rotate one of your ankles clockwise for about a minute or so. Then rotate it counter-clockwise. Repeat for the other ankle. Do this i'd say couple times a day and your shin splint problems should be a problem in the past.

Good luck!

Again, thank you!

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Treatment depends largely on where you are experiencing pain. Is the pain anterior (in front of) or posterior (behind) the tibia (shin bone)? The term "shin splints" is really an all encompassing term that can describe a variety of different conditions, each with a different cause and treatment.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Gonna move this to the right forum. Do a forum search for shinsplints.

Many causes....high arches, not enough stretching, not enough warmup....

IF you get shoes, go to a place that will at least analyze your gait. You may have to pay some bucks for those shoes...but, this is one of those 'little things' that can compound, unecessarily so, an already complex career.

See a podiatrist.

navy09

None
Oh I know it's fuckin horrible. I believe people use the excuse a lot, but why would I use it here? I have no need to explain to anyone on this website why I don't run fast. I'm just looking for advice. Is ice a short-term or long-term remedy? I don't know about "special" insoles, but I do have nice running shoes and some gel insoles. As far as seeing a podiatrist, my parents don't take me to the doctor unless I'm dying or puking my brains out. Seriously, I had a corneal infection once and they waited untill I was so photophobic that the streetlight from 4 houses down came coming through my blinds made my eyes hurt before they brought me to the doctor. I told them about shin splints and they kind of just blew me off. I'm not trying to post complaining about my parents, I just know I can't depend on them to fix it for me. I have to do it myself.

People lie about stupid stuff for stupid reasons (search for posts by Skeeterman if you don't believe me).

Icing WILL help (5 min on, 5 off- or something like that). New shoes with insoles will also help too, but you have to give them some time to break in. Also be sure to rest for a few days if it gets too bad. I've never had them, but it's a fairly common problem.

There are other ways to get a good cardio workout while you're letting your shins rest. You can bike, run on an eliptical, or swim.

Also, like the Doc said, you really need to see a podiatrist if this isn't working itself out. If you're running a 13:30 1.5 mile on the PRT, you won't be in ROTC for long. Make your parents understand this.

MrFreakinKite

Treatment depends largely on where you are experiencing pain. Is the pain anterior (in front of) or posterior (behind) the tibia (shin bone)? The term "shin splints" is really an all encompassing term that can describe a variety of different conditions, each with a different cause and treatment.

It's on the front outside; left of the bone on my left leg, right on my right. Thanks everybody for the advice

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
The Soleus and Gastrocnemius muscles are relatively large and are responsible for plantarflexion (pointing your toe) as well as some other movements.

The Tibialis anterior muscle (among others) is small and is responsible for dorsiflexion (opposite of toe pointing).

Who wins in big versus small? Tibialis loses every time...i.e. shin splints.

Rest...ice as above.

Once healed. I recommend tapping your foot while sitting. This will work out your tibialis anterior and the muscles in the anterior compartment of your leg. This movement is relatively low stress and will get the smaller muscles used to pulling your toes up when you run. Good shoes and running on even grades will help as well.

Worked for me.

Disclaimer...Just my 2 cents. I am not a doctor. My Health Promotion degree is 16 years old. My wife has a BS and a Master's in the same.

asise

It really tied the room together.
Don't worry about compartment syndrome. That's an emergency situation where we'd fillet your legs open (literally).
As above, rest and ice will fix you up ... plus some ibuprofen. Take it easy getting back into a running regime. The brits did a prospective study in 2004 on military recruits if you're bored (Br J Sports Med 2004; 38:441-445). but who cares? you're better off reading the above posts.
Just don't tough it out and give yourself a stress fracture. go biking for a while instead.