• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Shameful

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghost_ttu

Tali, I believe I might go flying today, how you like them apples? And oh yeah, BITE ME!!!!

"praying to the SNA board gods couldn't hurt...."

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Jack, I'm lucky that I wasn't sleeping on a cot somewhere, or knocking on your door at midnight....

Ray

No one is talking about kingsville because the first class to start since july classed up last week. I've been done with primary since may 2nd and I start next wednesday. Its about damn time. And kingsville almost got submerged two nights ago.

Honk if you demand satisfaction.

boobytrapper

Any chance there will be any F-14 slots open in 3 or 4 years? I read in another post that the Tomcat might stick around for another 10 years instead of being gone by '07. Any more info about this? It seems like at the rate its being phased out It will be gone long before I get there.

Sammie

I am in Meridian now and people are wondering if there will be any slots by the time WE finish up. The current thinking is no. So chances of one opening up in a couple of years -- very very slim at best.

Jack

Dont count on any Tomkitty slots being open after another year or so. There are already two VF squadrons that have made the transition to VFA and they are planning on carrying out more this FY.

Jack

Jeff

Jack and Glenn

What do you guys think of the Prowler. How is the transition going back to no HUD and no vector, and having to fly needles rather than plugging in a courseline. I cant imagine. During Fams I did a couple of no hud landings and it was just an abortion without a vector or atleast an E bracket. Not ever having to learn to fly the ball without one I think it will be hell for the TS studs who go Prowlers and Hoovers.

By the way last selection was 1 Super F, 1 Prowler, 1 Viking...

Hope all is well

Jack

Jeff - Flying the Prowler has taken some getting used to. Imagine a REALLY REALLY big T-2C. Of course you're probably a TS guy? Its not bad at all without the HUD. It would be nice to have a velocity vector and E bracket for the approach turn, I'll admit, but its not bad. We don't do anything that would necessitate(sp?) having a HUD for A/A or A/G. The HARM shot works off of existing equipment and is suprisingly simple.

There are two MFDs (one atop the other on the pilot's side), the top one is the ADI and the bottom one is the HSI. Its all off the shelf airline technology so its not the best, no where near what we've got in the T-45C. Obviously no instantaneous VSI etc. The HSI is not bad at all. It works very similar to the T-45C in the fact that you can run course lines similar to the planametric mode you're using now. I'm on a mission to convert all of the ECMOs I fly with to using the planametric mode vice the old swinging needle CDI. They learned in a T-34 and a T-2, obviously no option for planametric there.

I'd have to say the harderst part so far, for me personally, is getting used to having a cockpit wide scan because everything you need isn't displayed neatly in frot of your face. The VSI has proven to be the instrument that is taking the most work for me to get on top of again. The lag and the inprecission of it are a throw back to the T-2C so I know I can do it - just keep taking the practice sim periods and shooting approaches and S-1s...I hated those things in flight school and now I'm doing them on my own
icon_smile_sleepy.gif

Overall, the War Pig has everything it needs, it could have more, but it has a enough to get by - guys have been doing it for a long time without the Gucci stuff.

Good luck and don't think Prowlers can't happen to you!
icon_smile_wink.gif

ProwlerPilot

pilot
STRIVE FOR MEDIOCRITY AT THE BOAT!!!!! A waveoff is NOT a bad thing if you still qual!!!! NO TOP HOOK!!!!!!!!!

Jack

Landing any aircraft on a boat is hard work. I don't want to make it sound like a Hornet is a piece of cake to put down for the OK 3. What makes the Prowler a difficult aircraft to land ont he boat (seeing as I have yet to do it - this is all what I've heard and experienced from flying it around "on-speed") is that it is:

1) Large. It has a wide wingspan and that makes lineup important, you have to be very close to center line otherwise you run the risk of taking somebody's nose off with your wingtip.

2) The Grumman designers liked to use devices called Flaperons (the Grumman built Tomcat has these as well). Flaperons work almost opposite of the standard aileron. Ailerons create more lift on one wing causing it to rise while the other drops thus the aircraft rolls. With a Flaperon if I push the stick left the flaperon on the left wing is going to extend upward into the airflow effectively killing the life over that wing causing the wing to drop and creating a rolling moment. Ailerons create more lift on one side, flaperons simply kill it one side. This means that you don't roll about the longitudinal axis of the aircraft, you roll about the wingtip of the dirction you are turning. Because you are killing so much lift it would be nearly impossible to do anything more that one 'flaperon roll' without losing a lot of altitude. Lineup is effected again witht he flaperons becasue you can't be screwing with it all the way down the chute because you're continually changing the energy state of the jet and drastically effecting the lift over the wings.

3) You are generally working pretty far back on the power curve when you are 'on-speed'. For this aircraft with flaps set at 30 degrees with an approach speed some where around 130kts the nose of the aircraft is parked way up. Maybe something like 10 degrees nose up. This makes it difficult for the pilot to see, you have to lean way forward to see over the nose.

Good things about the Prowler is that it has A LOT of power, it spools up quickly, and it isn't a slave to the tankers like other fleet aricraft.

ProwlerPilot

pilot
It's a pilot's plane, meaning you have to be a pilot to fly it! Those Hornets are just a computer that a person suggests what to do. In the words of a Hornet pilot "They should just replace the stick with a mouse"

akoni78

Originally posted by Glenn
STRIVE FOR MEDIOCRITY AT THE BOAT!!!!! A waveoff is NOT a bad thing if you still qual!!!! NO TOP HOOK!!!!!!!!!

What do you mean by "waveoff" and "no top hook"?

Glenn and Jack, did you want Prowlers? or did you want something else (but performed too well at the boat)?

Thanks

Ray

Any of you rag folk heard when the Growler will be along? My brother works for the gov't and he sent me some pictures of an E/F-18. Same frame as a Super Hornet but different avionics and jammers and the like. I still don't know if thats what they are going to use to take the Prowler mission though. All I want to do now is finish advanced. Start ground school monday.

Honk if you demand satisfaction.

Ray

And to answer the question; from what I have gathered from all the students in front of me they take the guy with the best boat scores and give them prowlers. Waveoff is the term for going around without hitting the deck. And top hook is the guy with the best landings. So if you want hornets, don't be the best at the boat.

VT-22 T-45A TS
Currently: Phase 1/Mod 1

Status
Not open for further replies.