• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Sh-60s

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
gatordev said:
I think the main problem would be that the Navy guys just don't have the low level skills the Army guys do.

SOME Navy guys. HS gots da skilz.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
HH-60H said:
SOME Navy guys. HS gots da skilz.

I was wondering who was going to call me on this. You win the prize. But come on, do you think you guys really have the skills (z optional) that a 6-8 year warrant does? Maybe you do, but it seems like they're just doing that much more, and therefore better. I can't argue either way, but just asking the question.

That said, since IAs are for everyone, not just HS chodes, it would still be an issue.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
I wouldn't say we were as proficient at any given moment. But in general I would say we have the proper foundation. It might take a couple weeks to ramp up the proficiency level.
That is generally how most of our mission areas are. We have good foundations in all of them, but many of them are totally different from each other. It would take pilots (or squadron as the case may be) a couple weeks to ramp up and get up to speed.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
ChuckMK23 said:
Well they maybe over-land but where is the evidence that they are participating actively in the war effort?

Where are the wounded crews and battle damaged aircraft?
Where are the Air Medals, DFC's, and awards for Valor?

I haven't seen any publicity of either the above in the Navy helo community.

Is glory and public ack all that you care about? Just because people are not getting shot down or making front page news does not mean that they are not contributing.

As far as participating actively in the war effort... you keep posting about the -60s guys doing dust off in country, but I guess saving your fellow sailor's/marine's/soldier's life is just not as cool or important as going in to attack a tank convoy with some rockets... so it therefore must not count as participating in the war effort.

bobbybrock

None
I think it would be dpoable and give the Navy guys a chance to see the missions like Dustoff. It is one thing doing them in southern Iraq and Kuwait. Doing business up norht is a different story. Hardstand to hard stand isn't a real problem. Roadsides and insertions in the desert are another. Plus the bad guys you deal with requires a different profile.
My unit just finished it's second tour. Most guys flew b/t 550 and 650. The gun guys flew in the 700 -800 range. The little bird guys had a few pilots over 1100 for the year.
I'm not sure what the experience bass is in most Navy sqaudrons. As an IP with 3400 hours and about 700 combat I was the low time IP.
I think it would be well served to get some of Navy brethern in the mix. That way it wouldn't be something new if a sqaudron deployed.
From what I've been told about the HSC guys in country is that thery have pretty high experince bass. But they are a reserve sqaudron. Not sure how they compare to a regular sqaudron.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
bobbybrock said:
From what I've been told about the HSC guys in country is that thery have pretty high experince bass. But they are a reserve sqaudron. Not sure how they compare to a regular sqaudron.

I don't know for sure, but it's my understanding their pretty well subsidized (training, hours, etc) since they have "good friends" over in SPECWAR to help pay.

Bobby, I think it's a great idea, and would be a great experience for the right pilot. Didn't mean to sound like I was saying otherwise. Like Brett's saying, it may be a bit too out of the box right now, though. Don't get me started.

bobbybrock

None
Gatordev I totally see where you are coming from. I know you guys as the operators would love to do it. It is thye guys in the head shed who can't rally think outside the box.
I worked with the Easyriders out of Hawaii and it was a great experience. I think they enjoyed flying our L models 60's also. I think the only people who didn't enjoy these guys flying our aircraft was our CPT's and Majors. The reason being was most of the LT's and LCDR's flying with us had two to three times more experience then our CPT's and Majors in our unit.

S.O.B.

pilot
Bevo said:
Chuck,

we logged over 300 combat missions and well over 600 combat hours. [/URL]

You’re talking about a DET. He’s talking about one pilot.

My unit just finished it's second tour. Most guys flew b/t 550 and 650. The gun guys flew in the 700 -800 range. The little bird guys had a few pilots over 1100 for the year.
I'm not sure what the experience bass is in most Navy sqaudrons. As an IP with 3400 hours and about 700 combat I was the low time IP.

The Navy just doesn’t have Helicopter Pilots with that kind of experience. Even with the inflated HC / HSC hours we’re not even close.

S.O.B.

pilot
Looking at the experience level of the Army Helo guys just reinforces the need for the Navy to adopt the CWO program. We had a Department Head show up at my last command with 800 total hours. That’s ridiculous. So in his two years he probably picked up another 300 or 400 hours transferred to shore duty and will return as the PXO with around 1200 hours. Over a 15 year period he got 1200 hours and will now be the most senior pilot in a command. That’s just an example of how someone through no fault of their own can end up with very few hours. There are only so many career enhancing flying jobs prior to department head and to my knowledge none for post Department Heads. I don’t know if this has always been the case or are we just experiencing a decline in funding that has lead to less hours for proficiency. Either way pilots need to fly to maintain proficiency.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
bobbybrock said:
Gatordev I totally see where you are coming from. I know you guys as the operators would love to do it. It is thye guys in the head shed who can't rally think outside the box.
I worked with the Easyriders out of Hawaii and it was a great experience. I think they enjoyed flying our L models 60's also. I think the only people who didn't enjoy these guys flying our aircraft was our CPT's and Majors. The reason being was most of the LT's and LCDR's flying with us had two to three times more experience then our CPT's and Majors in our unit.

No kidding, when was that? I would have loved to fly a real L. All that -401C power but not the weight. Your sims were even nicer than ours. The instructor running it appologized about how long it would take to switch between the FAM program and the tactical program (was showing a stash ensign some boat ops). I couldn't believe how long it took....about 60 seconds. To do that in our old ghetto sims would take anywhere between 2-20 minutes. Plus it looked a thousand times better and the frigate model was spot on.

Quote:

The Navy just doesn’t have Helicopter Pilots with that kind of experience. Even with the inflated HC / HSC hours we’re not even close.

I take your point, but don't forget these guys are in country for a year (bobby, correct me if I'm wrong), so 700-800 hours isn't that far out there for a Navy guy if he flew for a year instead of 6 months (250-350 for us).

Turk

Can sombody shed some light on the the "high" attrition rate that is being suffered by both the USMC and Army rotary wing communities in OIF/OEF.
I don't know if it's just me but it seems like the losses have been excessive both in combat and training? Thanks

bobbybrock

None
Probably not the place to discuss operations. But there is a lot of flying going on in very harsh conditions. Take that for what it is worth.

bobbybrock

None
We did our quals with the Eastriders back in 2000 on an AOC in Hawaii. They really enjoyed the extra power of the 701C's

bobbybrock

None
bobbybrock said:
I take your point, but don't forget these guys are in country for a year (bobby, correct me if I'm wrong), so 700-800 hours isn't that far out there for a Navy guy if he flew for a year instead of 6 months (250-350 for us).

Yes it is a year deployment. For the guard guys it could be up to 18 monthswith quals and training. In OIF I and II guys were getting 800-900. It has slowed down since for the lift guys. Lots of airframes in country.[/QUOTE]

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
bobbybrock said:
We did our quals with the Eastriders back in 2000 on an AOC in Hawaii. They really enjoyed the extra power of the 701C's

Ahh, before my time. Aye corumba! I didn't realize you had 701Cs. No wonder we could never catch the Army birds flying around the island. Although when I look at GE's website, it doesn't look like it's much more power. Kind of weird, but interesting.