• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Sh-60s

BRM21o

Is this the answer that's going to bring Navy Helo's into combat or is it going to serve the same role as before?

Bevo16

pilot
The Navy has had it's helo's in combat since day 1 of the war.

We have HSC squadrons forward deployed in Iraq right now, and Carrier Air Wings deployed to The Gulf have been sending their HH's on Det to the beach for years now.

You may want to punch HH-60H into google.

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
The new -60S thats supposed to be coming online in the next year or so will supposedly be better suited for combat. ie more fuel, more weapons, etc. But the Navy has had helos over land for awhile now.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Well they maybe over-land but where is the evidence that they are participating actively in the war effort?

Where are the wounded crews and battle damaged aircraft?
Where are the Air Medals, DFC's, and awards for Valor?

I haven't seen any publicity of either the above in the Navy helo community.

bobbybrock

None
The Navy may have had it's helos in combat since day one but there aren't that many of them.
I saw the HSC guys flying twice in my year there.The 160th has assests as well as the Air Farce spec ops community. I also saw our sister unit do SEAL support whilewe were in country. The spec ops guys over there pretty much have the pic of who they can fly with. I would think the 160th would be there choice.

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
ChuckMK23 said:
Well they maybe over-land but where is the evidence that they are participating actively in the war effort?

Several of the IPs in my squadron recently came from Iraq. Some of the HS squadrons are deployed in Kuwait and fly up along the rivers.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
ChuckMK23 said:

With the Navy awards system, check back in about 3 years.

Pags

N/A
pilot
If I remember my helo master plan correctly, sometime in the future all HS squadrons will become HSC squadrons and will fly the 60s. Block II a/c have more internal fuel and the armament packages are supposed to start showing up sometime later this year.

@Chuck: I think some HCS crews have gotten some awards.

PS: it's an MH-60S.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
ChuckMK23 said:

There are quite a few helo types walking around NGU with "V" devices on NC medals......Sometimes the occasional Air Medal, but no; I haven't seen a DFC. I bet if you look down at New River, NC or Cherry Point, you might see a few.....

S.O.B.

pilot
BigIron said:
There are quite a few helo types walking around NGU with "V" devices on NC medals......Sometimes the occasional Air Medal, but no; I haven't seen a DFC. I bet if you look down at New River, NC or Cherry Point, you might see a few.....

Didn’t the AMCM guys get several awards out of OIF?

bobbybrock

None
gregsivers said:
Several of the IPs in my squadron recently came from Iraq. Some of the HS squadrons are deployed in Kuwait and fly up along the rivers.
I'm not sure what these guys are doing down there. That is pretty much RAF country in the south. I know there was a few Navy H-60's out of Araf Jan but not quite sure what their mission was.
What the Army and Navy should do is send some of the Navy JO's to a flying IA tour instead of the bs non flying tours. I think both sides could gain from this. The Air Force had a significant number of Coast Guard aviators fly in Vietnam to help out the Jolly Green guys.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
bobbybrock said:
I'm not sure what these guys are doing down there. That is pretty much RAF country in the south. I know there was a few Navy H-60's out of Araf Jan but not quite sure what their mission was.
What the Army and Navy should do is send some of the Navy JO's to a flying IA tour instead of the bs non flying tours. I think both sides could gain from this. The Air Force had a significant number of Coast Guard aviators fly in Vietnam to help out the Jolly Green guys.
I don't see guys getting qualified on a different T/M/S just for a one year IA. I dunno, maybe Army and Navy -60s are similar enough to do a quick FAM type syllabus, but that certainly would be unorthodox. Are -60 pilots really in high demand in the Army, or is this just some ruse to avoid the non-flying IA? Sorry to always be the über-contrarian, but it just doesn't make much sense to me.

Brett

Bevo16

pilot
ChuckMK23 said:

Chuck,

On my last deployment (also my first deployment) we sent a two aircraft detachement to Camp Arifjan and flew daily missions into Iraq. I don't want to get into OPSEC but we got a lot done and did a huge variety of missions. Probably the biggest part of our job was Armed ISR. We also flew some special warfare related missions along with convoy support along the supply routes north. We kept an eye on the pipelines that ran out of Basrah to KBOT and ABOT as well. In just about 4 months, we logged over 300 combat missions and well over 600 combat hours. I don't know how many air medals our squadron earned all together, but between pilots and AW's it was probably 40+.

Our operating area was huge, easily covering the full sothern third of Iraq.

We were on the cover of Naval Aviation News a few months back and this was one of the stories. It is told by a JO3, so it is not going to win any awards, but it keeps me from having to retype the whole thing.

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0IAX/is_6_87/ai_n15659892

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Brett327 said:
I don't see guys getting qualified on a different T/M/S just for a one year IA. I dunno, maybe Army and Navy -60s are similar enough to do a quick FAM type syllabus, but that certainly would be unorthodox.
Brett

Unfortunately, I agree. It's doable. When I jumped into a -60L sim a couple of times, some stuff was in the same place, but other stuff was just plain different (ASE anyone?). I would imagine it would be slightly more of an issue coming from the Sierra since everything is glass, but still, doable. I think the main problem would be that the Navy guys just don't have the low level skills the Army guys do. I think that's where most of the training would need to be spent. That, and there was no altitude hold. I mean come on, priorities people!