• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Service Selection

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
"And if you're one of those "all I want to do in the military is be a pilot" guys: you should probably go to USAFA."

You might want to do some checking before basing your career on that; what I have heard (anecdotally, from a USNA classmate whose son is currently at USAFA) there are a fair amount of cadets who want to get pilot slots who don't.

+1 I have a buddy that went to USAFA then switched to Navy so he could get a pilot slot. But I'm sure being a Commo or Missileer in the AF would be sweet....

exhelodrvr

pilot
+1 I have a buddy that went to USAFA then switched to Navy so he could get a pilot slot. But I'm sure being a Commo or Missileer in the AF would be sweet....

" But I'm sure being a Commo or Missileer in the AF would be sweet...."

Yeah, if you want to work on your handicap.

(Is that a set-up line, or what?)

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
"And if you're one of those "all I want to do in the military is be a pilot" guys: you should probably go to USAFA."

You might want to do some checking before basing your career on that; what I have heard (anecdotally, from a USNA classmate whose son is currently at USAFA) there are a fair amount of cadets who want to get pilot slots who don't.

First, I was making a tongue-in-cheek jab at the apparent doctrinal difference between air force having "pilots who are also officers" and Navy "officers who get to fly." The OP seemed VERY focused on absolutely getting that pilot slot and flying (vice being an officer and serving), so I was trying to jab and maybe redirect his research. Too subtle. Got it.

Second, wasn't trying to imply it was a guarantee to get a pilot slot at USAFA. But, as a pure numbers game: USNA graduates ~1000 per year, with roughly 250 aviator billets. Contrast with USAFA which usually graduates just under 1000 per year, with 400-500 pilot slots. Seems like for a person who just wants to be a pilot and will go anywhere to accomplish that, it's kind of a no-brainer. (Numbers sourced from the graduation demographics info given on the admissions dept websites of the respective academies.)

exhelodrvr

pilot
Contrast with USAFA which usually graduates just under 1000 per year, with 400-500 pilot slots. Seems like for a person who just wants to be a pilot and will go anywhere to accomplish that, it's kind of a no-brainer.

The issue is not how many aviators there are in each class, the issue is the percentage of cadets/midshipmen who want to fly, and can't due to the number of available spots.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
The issue is not how many aviators there are in each class, the issue is the percentage of cadets/midshipmen who want to fly, and can't due to the number of available spots.

This is exactly why I think it would be "easier" to get a pilot slot out of USNA vs. USAFA. Those of you at USNA can take into account that a certain number of your peers want to be SWOs, Nukes or Marines instead of pilots. What percentage of people do you think go to USAFA and don't want to be pilots? I be it's a pretty small number....

exhelodrvr

pilot
This is exactly why I think it would be "easier" to get a pilot slot out of USNA vs. USAFA. Those of you at USNA can take into account that a certain number of your peers want to be SWOs, Nukes or Marines instead of pilots. What percentage of people do you think go to USAFA and don't want to be pilots? I be it's a pretty small number....

"This is exactly why I think it would be "easier" to get a pilot slot out of USNA vs. USAFA."

I agree, based on what I have heard.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
When we put in our initial service selection preferences Plebe Year, 70% of my 1200 Midshipman class put NA as their #1 choice. Over 50% put it #1 in their final prefs Firstie year (I know there were even more who wanted it, but knew they weren't going to make it and put their #2 choice as #1 to have a better shot at not getting #3).

So, yes, there are people who want those other service selections, for sure. There are many more who get told to take their 2nd or 3rd choice.

What I've been told from USAFA types is that it's a major philosophical difference. It's pretty much like everyone starts out with pilot as their presumed selection, then they let medical whittle it down, which takes care of most of the overage. Grades and class rank soak up the rest. Maybe a Zoo grad can weigh in here with firsthand to back that up.

As stated earlier: the prevailing sentiment regarding getting pilot at USNA is
These days you need to be a total a$$ kiss with a 3.3+.

I guess what I'm saying is, based on what I've seen, heard, and read, if I had to make the choice again and all I cared about was flying something, I would not choose USNA.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What I've been told from USAFA types is that it's a major philosophical difference. It's pretty much like everyone starts out with pilot as their presumed selection, then they let medical whittle it down, which takes care of most of the overage. Grades and class rank soak up the rest. Maybe a Zoo grad can weigh in here with firsthand to back that up.

Heard the same thing about USAFA as well. A guy I knew that went there (who was blind so being a pilot wasn't an issue for him) actually said that if you are qualified to be a pilot and don't put it as your first choice you have to explain your reasons to important people.

Eli10

I met a USAFA grad a couple months ago and he considered USAFA over USNA for people who wanted to fly because there were instances where pilot slots at USAFA were not completely filled. I was told that this happened last year. But then again, pilot slots do depend on the needs of the Air Force and the availability is decreasing over time. And thanks for all this info, it really helps.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
And if you're one of those "all I want to do in the military is be a pilot" guys: you should probably go to USAFA.

Or better yet, go Air Guard... I pledged a few ANG units for the past couple of years before I decided that I didn't want to just be a military pilot. For the most part all you do is fly for your entire military career; but it's only part time work. Hey, there is a give and take for everything.

Batman97862

Banned
I graduated from USAFA in 97 and am now working switching to the Navy Reserves. We didn't fill all our slots. If you pass all the meds and flight screening and want to fly, you can in the AF. I'll leave the USNA talk to the goats.