• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Service Selection

wingsB4rings

Four fans of freedom, all day long
None
Just curious, when is service selection/assignment this year? Is it still in the fall semester? I'm also curious about the number of pilot and nfo selectees.

Lobster

It's funny there is so much stuff about selections for OCS it seems to overshadow NROTC and the Academy.

navy09

None
These two threads have popped up recently:

http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=145342
http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=145413

To sum them up, DEC grads found out a few weeks ago, MAY (or Spring) grads find out this week or next. *Note this is for ROTC, not sure what the Academy is up to.

The second thread has (uncited) figures of 217 pilots and 45 NFOs from ROTC...though who knows if those are accurate or whether they're for FY09 or just Spring selection.

EDIT: Links fixed, rep for Python.

Python

pilot
Contributor
These two threads have popped up recently:

To sum them up, DEC grads found out a few weeks ago, MAY (or Spring) grads find out this week or next. *Note this is for ROTC, not sure what the Academy is up to.

The second thread has (uncited) figures of 217 pilots and 45 NFOs from ROTC...though who knows if those are accurate or whether they're for FY09 or just Spring selection.

You may want to edit those links.

sfrankie08

pilot
Academy Service Selection

Lately the Academy has been finding out their service selection a week or 2 before Thanksgiving. The past few years has seen about 250 go Navy Pilot and about 80 or so NFO.
Service Assignment night (pick your ship - SWOs / pick your date to report - Pilots/NFOs/Marines), is usually late Feb.

Eli10

So as long as I maintain a decent GPA (2.5+ or 3.0+?), stay physically fit, and not be pilot DQ'd would I have a great shot at earning a pilot slot from USNA? I just recieved an appointment to the NAPS and am currently waiting on the USAFA.

MiG15

pilot
None
So as long as I maintain a decent GPA (2.5+ or 3.0+?), stay physically fit, and not be pilot DQ'd would I have a great shot at earning a pilot slot from USNA? I just recieved an appointment to the NAPS and am currently waiting on the USAFA.

These days you need to be a total a$$ kiss with a 3.3+.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot

You would probably be competitive with a 3.0 or higher but they could be using a quality spread to fill slots. I believe this year they used something which resembled a quality spread. Additionally I know for a fact that this year there were several folks who were not selected for aviation because the number who requested aviation was higher than the number of available positions.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor

As a pure numbers game, you have a better shot getting pilot by doing ROTC somewhere. And if you're one of those "all I want to do in the military is be a pilot" guys: you should probably go to USAFA.

Every year, there are many people who chose USNA just to be pilots who get sorely disappointed on Service Assignment Night. Most of them see it coming; some don't.

Two years ago, it was a "very complex equation, we won't bore you with details" that they used to determine a pilot score for people. It factored in CQPR, college major, prior flight time, ASTB, and probably some more stuff I don't recall. Then, the board (composed of Aviation Types on the Yard) convened and voted on each package in ascending order of that score.

As the story goes, nobody with pilot as their second choice got it. My classmate who graduated with the 2nd lowest CQPR DID get designated 1390. So, it's not ALL grades. But that really helps.

RBrowne

Statesman is correct. USNA sevice selected on Nov 19th. My son expects to graduate in May 09 and was selected for Navy Pilot. He is running about 3.1 QPA (GPA) but I don't know where he fell in the selected group. I do know some very (apparently) qualified Mids missed out on their choice of pilot due to the "needs of the navy". Most were "voluntold" to subs.

I would say yes (you should also do well 'professionally'). Getting a pilot slot out of USNA was pretty easy, imo. I don't know enough about ROTC or OCS to compare, but you've got a pretty darn good chance.

hobiesailor13

pilot
Two years ago, it was a "very complex equation, we won't bore you with details" that they used to determine a pilot score for people. It factored in CQPR, college major, prior flight time, ASTB, and probably some more stuff I don't recall. Then, the board (composed of Aviation Types on the Yard) convened and voted on each package in ascending order of that score.

As the story goes, nobody with pilot as their second choice got it. My classmate who graduated with the 2nd lowest CQPR DID get designated 1390. So, it's not ALL grades. But that really helps.

I'll help alleviate that rumor, pilot was my 3rd choice and I got it in 06. I can name 4 other guys who didn't have pilot as #1 and got it as well, and that's just people I know of or remember. No prior flight time, 2.6 gpa, non engineering major, good astb scores and a lot of drinking and screwing around got me where I am today. There's no way to predict, people from USNA who may be top 100 academically but middle of the class conduct wise have a hard time if it is determined the split in their rankings is too much. My favorite is the magic spots that appear after selection is done because some people don't pass medical, get kicked out, or just because a few extra spots were found. A guy from my company got a phone call the night before graduation telling him he got upgraded from nfo to pilot if he wanted it.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Simple answer: there's no way to tell, especially not this far in advance. My plebe year ('95-'96), there was a dearth of pilot spots and lots of deserving guys didn't get it. By the time I graduated, everyone who wanted pilot and was PQ'ed, got it. And this was in the pre-eye zapping era.

They don't go strictly by Order of Merit anymore (that's your academic GPA, plus conduct, PRT, a bunch of other stuff), but it plays a part. So between "needs of the Navy," no way of knowing how the DoD budget will fare under a new administration, and no telling how your Four Years By the Bay will turn out, any discussion on "your chances" of getting pilot out of Annapolis is academic.

exhelodrvr

pilot
"And if you're one of those "all I want to do in the military is be a pilot" guys: you should probably go to USAFA."

You might want to do some checking before basing your career on that; what I have heard (anecdotally, from a USNA classmate whose son is currently at USAFA) there are a fair amount of cadets who want to get pilot slots who don't.