• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Service Selection Results

sweetnuts

Congrat's to everyone!

I got my second choice, SNFO. I am a FY-08 STA-21 Core selectee, apparently they only set aside a few spot's for OC's in the selection process?

Has anyone heard of this before?

I was always told that we were competing against MIDN in the selection process.

Good Luck to everyone.

I am a FY-08 Core selectee as well. However, I do not service select until next year as I am a December 2010 graduate.

Another OC at our unit (also a FY-08 Core selectee) that is graduating this spring selected SNFO, his second choice. Our XO called P-cola to find out what was going on because this guy had a very competitive package and he didn't get SNA whereas MIDS with much less competitive packages got selected SNA. P-cola told the XO that OC's do not compete with the MIDS and that there are only so many slots for OC SNAs. Needless to say, I was somewhat surprised as I was always told the same thing you were. We'll see what happens next year when I find out my fate.

Do you know any other Core selectees that didn't get their first choice?

Ducky

Formerly SNA2007
pilot
Contributor
I got a 3.5 in engineering (I don't even think the technical major stuff matters anymore), and 6/6/6. To whoever got a 9/9/9, that's incredible, B.Z! Hey question though... I'm going to start looking in to flight simulation programs to start getting ready for IFS, does anybody have any recommendations on the best brands?

If you want to mess around with flight simulators to get some sort of scan and perception go with Microsoft FSX Deluxe...if you really want to nerd out you can get online with a buddy sit in the same plane or attempt to fly form off each other. There are also some explanations on approaches and plates.

As IFS is pass fail I would enjoy the time off doing plenty of non Navy related stuff. I highly recommend the SPACE-A flight from Jackson MS to Ramstein Germany(usually Mon& FRI dep). Just got back and it was an awesome trip. Once you get in IFS you can study hard and be successful.

Congrats to all the new SNAs/SNFOs.

Lightning26

I am a FY-08 Core selectee as well. However, I do not service select until next year as I am a December 2010 graduate.

Another OC at our unit (also a FY-08 Core selectee) that is graduating this spring selected SNFO, his second choice. Our XO called P-cola to find out what was going on because this guy had a very competitive package and he didn't get SNA whereas MIDS with much less competitive packages got selected SNA. P-cola told the XO that OC's do not compete with the MIDS and that there are only so many slots for OC SNAs. Needless to say, I was somewhat surprised as I was always told the same thing you were. We'll see what happens next year when I find out my fate.

Do you know any other Core selectees that didn't get their first choice?

I don't personally know any other Core selectees that had 1390 as their first choice. My advisor informed me that the CO received the same response from P-cola. I was also told only 20% who wanted pilot, got what they wanted for STA-21 Core.

It is disheartening to see people get lower scores and receive a SNA slot. I don't understand why MID's and OC's are ranked together if they are not competing against each other. Does your command rank them together? It also sucks that they changed the selection paperwork this year. Now that there is no spot to write a personal statement, the selection process mirrors that of the college BCS.

I still have a couple more chances to become a pilot, so I'm not giving up! I hope things turn out better next year.

sweetnuts

I don't personally know any other Core selectees that had 1390 as their first choice. My advisor informed me that the CO received the same response from P-cola. I was also told only 20% who wanted pilot, got what they wanted for STA-21 Core.

It is disheartening to see people get lower scores and receive a SNA slot. I don't understand why MID's and OC's are ranked together if they are not competing against each other. Does your command rank them together? It also sucks that they changed the selection paperwork this year. Now that there is no spot to write a personal statement, the selection process mirrors that of the college BCS.

I still have a couple more chances to become a pilot, so I'm not giving up! I hope things turn out better next year.

Wow, 20%... Doesn't look to good for next year.

Our comand ranks MID's and OC's together as well. Not being able to write a personal statement definately hurts some people and makes the selection process merely a matter of number crunching. With all of the success of the BCS I guess the Navy decided to follow suit... probably would have been better had they just left the selection process as it was.

What other options are available to become a pilot? Good luck to you in your quest to become a pilot.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
words... I'm going to start looking in to flight simulation programs to start getting ready for IFS, ...words

Honestly dude, the best thing you can do to get ready for IFS is go out and have fun. Don't worry about "studying ahead" for IFS... as long as you pay attention in ground school and in the air, you'll be fine. Its pass/fail. Its not like you'll automatically be DQ'ed from selecting jets if you make a mistake in IFS. (Case and point... I have a friend up here that completely fucked away a landing in IFS... he's a Prowler pilot... if I recall correctly, Prowlers were his 1st choice coming out of T-45's)

As for when you get to P-Cola, my list of things to do while waiting to class up still stands: drink, eat, workout, party, your girlfriend/fiance/wife, someone else's girlfriend/fiance/wife, random P-Cola local, drink, sleep, drink, drink, and SCUBA. Did I mention drink?

KCOTT

remember to pillage before you burn
pilot
I don't know what my other scores were, nor do I care any more. :p
Ha, I remember when I picked up SNA. I truly gave up on college after that point (luckily I only had like 4-5 weeks to go). I ended up finishing with a 2.1 something GPA for that particular quarter. Got a bunch of C's/C-'s with my only A being a class that was taught by a former Army O-4. I think there might have been a D somewhere in there. It was funny because after I commissioned, our aviation LT said to me, "Good, I'm glad you're an official Ensign now, so now I don't have to PRB you for getting below a 2.5, so I'm just gonna kick the shit out of you instead." (then proceeded to punch me in the arm) "Welcome to the Navy Ensign!"

dirtydog

Ha, I remember when I picked up SNA. I truly gave up on college after that point (luckily I only had like 4-5 weeks to go). I ended up finishing with a 2.1 something GPA for that particular quarter. Got a bunch of C's/C-'s with my only A being a class that was taught by a former Army O-4. I think there might have been a D somewhere in there. It was funny because after I commissioned, our aviation LT said to me, "Good, I'm glad you're an official Ensign now, so now I don't have to PRB you for getting below a 2.5, so I'm just gonna kick the shit out of you instead." (then proceeded to punch me in the arm) "Welcome to the Navy Ensign!"
Haha! I am really trying to keep my GPA up this last year, but I have that same feeling.

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
I got a 3.5 in engineering (I don't even think the technical major stuff matters anymore), and 6/6/6. To whoever got a 9/9/9, that's incredible, B.Z! Hey question though... I'm going to start looking in to flight simulation programs to start getting ready for IFS, does anybody have any recommendations on the best brands?

While MS flight sim can help with procedures it won't really do you any good for IFS. Once you are in Primary and actually have EP's and procedures to practice, then it can help. The best advice I can give is to start listening to ATC comms. Honestly, just don't sound like a tard on the radio and you'll be halfway there. Once you are in IFS or finishing up API and getting ready to start Primary just go to this website and listen to LAX or BWI or any other major airport while you are studying, cooking, etc. It will do wonders for your comms.
http://www.liveatc.net/

Lightning26

Wow, 20%... Doesn't look to good for next year.

Our comand ranks MID's and OC's together as well.

What other options are available to become a pilot? Good luck to you in your quest to become a pilot.

Keep doing the best you can and don't be discouraged by the numbers. Who knows, they may have overcorrected and therefore making your chances better next year.

I have seen in an older thread where OC's were ranked separately. I don't know if that process has been officially changed or if that command was taking care of their people?

The percentages are smaller but apparently there is an opportunity to switch during API if you do well and they need more pilots. There is also a lateral transfer. I think my time in service being at 9 years , probably eliminates my chances for that option though.

Never retreat! Never surrender!