• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Service member being an idiot

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
In this context, I usually like to say, "If you set the bar low, people will generally stoop to meet the standard," but you summed it up quite well:

1) If you treat people like children, they'll act like children
2) ...

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
“If an incident does occur that crosses the threshold of discrediting the U.S., I want to immediately determine where leadership or policy failed and promptly correct the problem.”

Remember kids, leadership always fixes stupid.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
“This is a leadership challenge,” Swift and Cloyd wrote. “We cannot manage our way out of it.”

So, to keep this PC and in the spirit of discussion and respectful, I'll do my very best....

First part: No, it's not. It simply seems like a threat to even the slightest inkling of impropriety.

2nd part: isn't that exactly what this policy is? "Managing" this risk by removing ALL risky behavior? I'm confused here.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
“My goal is to keep the measures ... in place for as short a time as possible and to minimize the impact on outstanding sailors,” Swift and Cloyd wrote.

If these measures are truly effective, then why limit them to a short period of time? Why not implement them everywhere, for that matter?

It's because you have to appear to be "doing something," even if you have no freaking clue what the solution is. If the admiral really thought that scrubbing the "liberty risk" sailors/Marines, and having some TBD sanction placed on them was going to help, he would have had it done already. The new policy is merely so show the Japanese that we mean business.

In the military, we are so inculcated into the "What now, Lieutenant?" mindset, we never consider the fact that sometimes there is no solution, and if there is one, it's one that takes time and patience to succeed, both commodities that are in short supply.

Besides, COA #1 with this policy is to get absolutely shithoused by 2200.

ad nauseam

Along the theme of entitlement: At the hotel, the night before my MEPS screening, another recruit came down from her room and raised her voice at the woman checking us in.

"I... have a roommate! I am an OFFICER... CANDIDATE. I should NOT have a roommate."

She got a verbal 'hoopin' in return and was dismissed. It clearly wasn't taken gracefully - she scoffed and stormed out.

Will I have to deal with too many people like this when I get in? Being under one's command doesn't seem pleasant. Correcting that behavior would get tedious.

Wow, the exact opposite happened to me. I expected to be roomed with someone, but was pleasantly surprised when the lady at the Military desk said... "What's your name? I don't see you on this list.... Oh wait, you're our only Officer Candidate. Just sign here, and here is your free parking pass, your own room, and your meal tickets, and the bar is just down the hall on your right"

"Thank you, ma'am"

Many looks were received from the kids about to ship out to MCRD San Diego the next day.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Besides, COA #1 with this policy is to get absolutely shithoused by 2200.

And then get into your car and speed home drunk due to the organizationally-created time constraint.

Seriously? Who's going to submit a request chit to sleep over for a piece of tail?? This policy is going to be patently ignored.

TolgaK

PRO REC SNA!
Wow, the exact opposite happened to me. I expected to be roomed with someone, but was pleasantly surprised when the lady at the Military desk said... "What's your name? I don't see you on this list.... Oh wait, you're our only Officer Candidate. Just sign here, and here is your free parking pass, your own room, and your meal tickets, and the bar is just down the hall on your right"

"Thank you, ma'am"

Many looks were received from the kids about to ship out to MCRD San Diego the next day.

I'd went up and set up my room with consideration for another person (splitting up the soaps, keeping my stuff away from the other bed, leaving half the room accessible) before learning at dinner that I would be alone. The other candidate and I have done nothing in our lives to deserve special treatment. We had some damn good lodging too. There was nothing to complain about.

It's reminding me of an experience I had in college. An AFROTC student yelled at me for crossing the street to the dorms. I'm guessing he saw the red hand come up when I was half-way across and felt it appropriate to say "DON'T CROSS THE STREET!" from the sidewalk. It was at night, no traffic around, I was not in ROTC nor did I have any relationship to this guy. I just recognized him from seeing him around campus.

ad nauseam

I'd went up and set up my room with consideration for another person (splitting up the soaps, keeping my stuff away from the other bed, leaving half the room accessible) before learning at dinner that I would be alone. The other candidate and I have done nothing in our lives to deserve special treatment. We had some damn good lodging too. There was nothing to complain about.

Yeah, I felt pretty undeserving of any preferential treatment I received. I felt that I haven't really accomplished anything outside of getting in touch with an OSO and filling out some paperwork. If anything, the folks heading out to boot camp the next morning should be the ones taken care of, since the next few months of their lives are going to be hell. Although, the bartender made a good rum and coke, and I chatted it up with some local birds before retiring to my room. Can't complain either.