• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SERE school (Survival, Escape, Resistance, Evasion)

FlyMikeFly

Happiness is Vectored Thrust
pilot
Contributor
There are more than you think who somehow miss out of SERE. It's a crying shame!

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
How does the funding work? Is it something worth pursuing in the new post-API, pre-Primary pool?

I'm sorry, I don't think I understand...you're wondering if you should go out of your way to get to SERE school instead of drinking on the beach as per the standard post-API, pre-primary pool tradition?

desertoasis

Something witty.
None
Contributor
I know SERE is not something I need to be worrying about now

You're right that you don't need to worry about it now. It's years away for you. When you get here (graduated today, woohoo) you'll do SERE, you'll get great training, parts of it will majorly suck, blah blah blah and I can't talk about it. Before then, don't worry about it. SERE's the greatest training you'll receive in the military, but not something you should be losing sleep over for at least another couple years.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You just graduated SERE and you're posting on AW? Dude. Just take a shower, finish half a Jr. Bacon Cheeseburger and go to sleep like everyone else. :)

Clux4

Banned
Since there is a requirement across the branches for SERE training, why not just have a Joint School House. Each service can have their reps at location to give whatever specialized training is needed.

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
You just graduated SERE and you're posting on AW? Dude. Just take a shower, finish half a Jr. Bacon Cheeseburger and go to sleep like everyone else. :)

I had steak and lobster (shame I couldn't eat it all) after I graduated but the shower was truly the first thing I did. In fact, it was the longest shower I have ever had in my life! It was also the best shower.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Definitely not a sure thing, maybe 50% chance or so. It's more of a target of opportunity when one's timing in the pipeline matches the available slots and TAD money. Typically, I've seen pilots go either between the FRS and their fleet squadron or during one's first couple years in the fleet. Sometimes they'll send Marines between flight school and the FRS, but that practice comes and goes. I went between my first and second deployments, and was the second most senior guy in the class, which got me the bonus package during training.

When I was done, the first thing I did was order a pizza. That was followed in 30 minutes by a productive session of spray painting the toilet bowl brown. Then we went out for lobster and booze.

desertoasis

Something witty.
None
Contributor

I had already taken three showers, had two and a half meals, and had a full night's sleep. Got it covered. :)

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
I've been practicing my "evasion" techniques by not going. If they catch me though, I reserve the right to come back here and edit this post...don't want them to think I'm bragging!

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Definitely not a sure thing, maybe 50% chance or so. It's more of a target of opportunity when one's timing in the pipeline matches the available slots and TAD money. Typically, I've seen pilots go either between the FRS and their fleet squadron or during one's first couple years in the fleet. Sometimes they'll send Marines between flight school and the FRS, but that practice comes and goes. I went between my first and second deployments, and was the second most senior guy in the class, which got me the bonus package during training.

When I was done, the first thing I did was order a pizza. That was followed in 30 minutes by a productive session of spray painting the toilet bowl brown. Then we went out for lobster and booze.

Don't know about when you went through but nowadays they specifically warn classes to NOT drink both the night before going to the field, and then the night before the de-brief on friday after the field. Apparently they will roll you if they find out you had a single drink.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
We didn't roll hard until Saturday. But they didn't give any specific prohibitions on doing anything once done with the field training, other than just telling us that our GI tracts might not react well to rich foods and beer after being empty for 3-4 days.

hokieav8r

~Bring the Wood!~
None
Since there is a requirement across the branches for SERE training, why not just have a Joint School House. Each service can have their reps at location to give whatever specialized training is needed.

Don't know. Fort Rucker has a full up SERE C now. I went to Bragg. It was, like said before in the thread, the best training next to flight training I ever received in the military.