• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NEWS Sen Tuberville and Appointment Delays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mirage

pilot
No one is trying to break state law. Breaking state law would be "finding the servicemember an abortion provider operating clandestinely in a state where abortion is illegal." That is not what we are talking about.

Why are we punishing servicemembers who wish to obtain reproductive healthcare but can't because of where they live? "We stationed you in Alabama but abortion isn't legal there, so you're on your own" is a bunch of nonsense.
You're right, breaking the law is not what we're talking about. I said skirting. As in, you don't medically need an abortion, and the state has decided that prematurely ending the lives of babies in the womb because you don't like the consequences of your actions is illegal, so we (the DoD) are going to help you get around the state law by paying for your travel to another state for this morally debatable (and politically sensitive) elective surgery.

Do you think the DoD should pay for travel for breast augmentation, or is this the only elective procedure they should care about?
Do you believe that this is a medical procedure?
It is as medically necessary as breast augmentation or hair implants is my point. All things that should not be the taxpayers burden to finance.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I wonder whether physicians categorize reproductive health as elective. Probably not. Feels like a straw man to me.

BigRed389

None
You're right, breaking the law is not what we're talking about. I said skirting. As in, you don't medically need an abortion, and the state has decided that prematurely ending the lives of babies in the womb because you don't like the consequences of your actions is illegal, so we (the DoD) are going to help you get around the state law by paying for your travel to another state for this morally debatable (and politically sensitive) elective surgery.

Do you think the DoD should pay for travel for breast augmentation, or is this the only elective procedure they should care about?

It is as medically necessary as breast augmentation or hair implants is my point. All things that should not be the taxpayers burden to finance.

Not having access to breast augmentation doesn't lead to 12 weeks of paid paternity/maternity leave.

I find abortion after life to be distasteful as well...but where I draw the line is subjecting servicemembers who don't get a choice where they're stationed to laws that will arbitrarily vary between states.

By your logic, we should repeal parental leave as well. Not medically necessary.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Revolving door’s gonna keep revolving… on and on…

Tuberville’s snit is like locking your dog in the crate because you don’t like the color your wife chose for the new curtains. It also sets a precedent that will basically deadlock the senate.

I wonder if our parliamentary procedures could be updated to prioritize actual governing over populist wedge issues with no satisfactory blanket solution.

Nah, probably not.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not having access to breast augmentation doesn't lead to 12 weeks of paid paternity/maternity leave.

I know a Marine who got a free boob job from the service, I think all she had to pay for were the implants themselves and some meds.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I know a Marine who got a free boob job from the service, I think all she had to pay for were the implants themselves and some meds.

hah yeah, I think this is a thing for a lot of people right? I can think of many worse uses of taxpayer dollars than this.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
hah yeah, I think this is a thing for a lot of people right? I can think of many worse uses of taxpayer dollars than this.

Apparently the Navy surgeons did it for practice/to keep current, the answer to the obvious question was that the docs needed the practice for when they did the same for women who'd had mastectomies.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Apparently the Navy surgeons did it for practice/to keep current, the answer to the obvious question was that the docs needed the practice for when they did the same for women who'd had mastectomies.
We had someone in my first squadron get her nose job paid for. Something, something deviated septum. I’m OK with that.

Mirage

pilot
I wonder whether physicians categorize reproductive health as elective. Probably not. Feels like a straw man to me.
Call it whatever you want, but most abortions are not medically necessary. That means they are, by definition, elective. So is birth control for most people (another form of reproductive health).

I find abortion after life to be distasteful as well...but where I draw the line is subjecting servicemembers who don't get a choice where they're stationed to laws that will arbitrarily vary between states.

By your logic, we should repeal parental leave as well. Not medically necessary.
Everyone in the military is subject to laws that vary by state. I could give plenty examples but I think you know this. That's just reality. I agree that it sucks, but that's what you get when you sign up.

What are you talking about parental leave? That comment makes zero sense. There are lots of benefits folks should get that aren't medically necessary. Parental leave is part of ones compensation and benefits package, like many other employers give. Optional abortions and boob jobs are not. As others mentioned, I'm even fine with giving near free boob jobs to keep mil plastic surgeons proficient. What I'm not ok with is giving free leave and travel to someone who wants a boob job but can't get it where they currently are.

Status
Not open for further replies.