• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Sen. Schumer gas for electric car trade in program?

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
This is the thing so few understand about EVs. The environmental impact of battery production and disposal is huge, not to mention the fact that we're just shifting our carbon production from individual cars to the power grid which is still reliant on coal, oil, and gas for baseline generation and surge capacity.

Oil is almost nonexistent as a fuel for electric generation, natural gas is a bulk of overall generation and Nuke, Coal and Renewables are about dead-even. Almost all the oil the US uses is consumed in transportation, second pic.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Oil is almost nonexistent as a fuel for electric generation, natural gas is a bulk of overall generation and Nuke, Coal and Renewables are about dead-even. Almost all the oil the US uses is consumed in transportation, second pic.

View attachment 30657

View attachment 30658

Any thoughts on the Line 5 pipeline controversy between Michigan and Canada?

WhiskeySierra6

pilot
Germany is widely considered to be the leader among first-world countries to commit to renewable energy. The price tag thus far is in the billions of euros for direct costs and trillions if you consider indirect costs. While they top the list of % of renewable energy used its still only just under 13%. Also, the average cost of electricity in Germany is 30 cents per kWh compared to the 13 cents in the US. Bottom line is you have to pay a lot of money for a technology that isn't mature enough to replace conventional energy production sources in a meaningful capacity. Cost/benefit > 1 when compared to said conventional sources.

nodropinufaka

I don't know what State does (or care), But climate change has never came up in any brief I've ever been in.
I am confused. You dont know what state does (or care) so why would you be in Department of State Briefs or working with them or USAID?

nodropinufaka

View attachment 30657

View attachment 30658
Our house is completely run by Solar. Doesn't use any power from the grid. In fact the meters run backwards. It can charge an electric vehicle as well enough to commute daily.

I think we should move away from our reliance on oil and non renewable energy.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Our house is completely run by Solar. Doesn't use any power from the grid. In fact the meters run backwards. It can charge an electric vehicle as well enough to commute daily.

Good for you. Like me, you live in a part of the country where solar is fairly practical for residential. Still, you have ecological unfriendly batteries. And it takes years to recover the cost of going off grid. If you live in 60% of the country full solar isn't very practical. I am sure we will get there. But not yet.

nodropinufaka

Good for you. Like me, you live in a part of the country where solar is fairly practical for residential. Still, you have ecological unfriendly batteries. And it takes years to recover the cost of going off grid. If you live in 60% of the country full solar isn't very practical. I am sure we will get there. But not yet.
Completely true.

but I think we should work our way that way to using renewable energy.

California’s plan of forcing all new builds to have Solar is ridiculous. No one should be forced. But hopefully at some point the prices will get so low that it wouldn’t make sense to not get it.

I think nuclear power is very good and a lot of people are grossly uninformed about it as well.

also with carbon footprints- let’s normalize not driving to work everyday to sit in an office and do the work that can be done at home.

WhiskeySierra6

pilot

Out of curiosity how much electricity does your home solar system generate? What do you do during the winter when it's overcast?

nodropinufaka

Out of curiosity how much electricity does your home solar system generate? What do you do during the winter when it's overcast?
It is sunny year round.

I don't have exact numbers off hand. But its enough to power a 5 bedroom house and 2 split AC units and electric stove and dryer.

WhiskeySierra6

pilot
It is sunny year round.

I don't have exact numbers off hand. But its enough to power a 5 bedroom house and 2 split AC units and electric stove and dryer.
Copy sunny year round but there is considerably less daylight during the winter than during the summer. It still provides enough energy during the winter?