• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Sen. Schumer gas for electric car trade in program?

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Last post in this topic and then I'm out. It seems my calls for moderation, a holistic systems approach to ecological stewardship, and my appeals to depoliticize the use of science keep falling on deaf ears.

What’s your standard for clear and irrefutable? This sounds an awful lot like saying that if scientists aren’t 100% sure, then they’re 100% wrong, which doesn’t sound like a reasonable basis for policy making. In fact it sounds like you’re just rationalizing climate change denial. So, your points 1-4 are, for all practical purposes, false.

I am by no means in the Greta Thunberg crowd, or think the planet is going to be uninhabitable in 50 years, but at some point, you’ve got to come to terms with reality and accept that some sensible steps need to be taken to mitigate the risk.

In short, I would say 100 years of false predictions such as "The polar bears will all be extinct by 2015" or the hockey stick model scandal or the multiple reports of falsified evidence in exchange for grants have been pretty damning. But how about we dig deeper?

When we finally understand the complex interactions of Milankovitch Cycles and solar weather on our climate or can trace the effects of a single thunder storm in Central Europe all the way to South America or all of the thermal sensors we use for data that are mounted in urban areas begin to account for the heat island effect or can predict the weather at an accuracy of greater than 70% on a time scale of far greater than 2 weeks, then I will begin to lend credence to the hypothesis that the change in climate is largely anthropogenic ("man made") in nature.

Until then, I will continue to believe that the changes in climate are largely outside of our control and that the money is better spent on clean air, clean water, and less impact on wildlife habitat.

So we just do nothing and hope it all works out?

When did I ever say that? Please provide a quote.

I think it could start with each individual just seeing that we are damaging our planet and try not be wasteful, act sustainably, recycle, and at least try to utilize renewable energy where it makes sense.

but like @SELRES_AMDO said- some people become so hostile at that very idea. That suggesting we bring reusable bags to the grocery store, cut back on single use plastics and driving an electric car can help is met with pure hostility.

Again, my point is that these "green" and "sustainable" efforts are great for virtue signaling but do fuck all for the environment. I've addressed EV batteries but let's talk LEED building certification which supposed to certify buildings as "green" and "sustainable." Did you know that you can get points on the LEED certification by placing shrubs, park benches, and bike racks in front of your building? I used to work in the field and have literally seen buildings where buildings became LEED certified by simply adding bike racks, window tint, and CFL bulbs (which are filled with toxic heavy metals that can't be disposed of easily. Thanks, Obama!). It's a complete joke.

Do you know have many birds wind generation and solar plants kill? You'd be astounded by the number. Do you know how much wildlife habitat has been lost for wind and solar farms? You'd be astounded by the number. Did you know that almost none of the countries that signed up for the Kyoto Accords or the Paris Accords ever met their commitments and essentially stopped trying after the first phase? I bet you didn't. But hey, at least we're being "green" and "sustainable."

You know what makes me irate and I'm hostile about? The fact that so many people get a hemp bag and Prius and then act smug like they are so "green" and "sustainable." We do so little and then act like we're being "green" and "sustainable" while we trash our economy to be enslaved by a new global banking system under the guise of carbon credits. They want you to literally be able to purchase carbon credits. Think about that.

@AllAmerican75 never said do nothing, or even implied it.

Like so many debates, it is often reduced to an absolute. It sounds like @AllAmerican75 simply wants a more directed approach that will have net benefits, regardless of the extent of climate change, without damaging Americans way of life and the economy in the process. His examples may not be all inclusive or even very effective. I don't know. But for me, most of the green programs start from the wrong place and have a minimal impact, especially if the world's worse polluters are not onboard. It is like Cold War concern over unilateral nuclear reductions. Just how does that ensure peace?

Some feel-good measures might not actually help. It remains to be seen if it’s even feasible to move to widespread use of electric cars.
The vast majority of Americans feel that way. They do their part many ways not listed above. I for one draw the line at reusable grocery bags. Paper bags. a renewable recyclable resource, was replaced by plastic claiming that, wait for it, those types of plastic bags were better for the environment. And I am sure I do more for the environment than most anyone using filthy bags from home. But hey, every little bit helps. Am I right?

@wink and @Treetop Flyer capture my argument succinctly.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Milankovitch Cycles and solar weather
I’m sure nobody but you and a few Exxon-Mobile executives have ever considered that. That used to be one of my go to excuses too... it’s the 11 year sunspot cycle... so, we’re all good, right?

Nope.

You also didn’t answer my question. How much consensus is required? You’re presenting an impossible standard to meet, then tossing out a bunch of chaff.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I'm confused. Why should I care about climate change? Are we really arrogant enough to think that humans alone can make the Earth uninhabitable in the next 1,000 years?

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I'm confused. Why should I care about climate change? Are we really arrogant enough to think that humans alone can make the Earth uninhabitable in the next 1,000 years?

Arrogance has nothing to do with it. Yes, we can do things to Earth that would rival extinction level events.

And inhabitable is a low bar. You can live in squalor, with a short life span because you're malnourished and sick.

I'd rather thrive. I don't understand why anyone can't see that we've gone overboard with plastics, disposables, nonrepairable devices and planned obsolescence. The greed over gaining another dollar has produced a lot of pollution that will stay with us for a long time.

I also don't see this as a user problem. This is a production problem. I don't have an option to not spend money on this stuff. There is no alternative because it costs the greedy producers more to do it.

I don't find the excuse that we won't clean up our yard because the other guy across town won't clean his up either as valid. It's whataboutism and it's bullshit. "I'm not going to stop shitting in my yard because my neighbor won't." Well guess what buddy, your yard is still covered in shit...

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Arrogance has nothing to do with it. Yes, we can do things to Earth that would rival extinction level events.

And inhabitable is a low bar. You can live in squalor, with a short life span because you're malnourished and sick.

I'd rather thrive. I don't understand why anyone can't see that we've gone overboard with plastics, disposables, nonrepairable devices and planned obsolescence. The greed over gaining another dollar has produced a lot of pollution that will stay with us for a long time.

I also don't see this as a user problem. This is a production problem. I don't have an option to not spend money on this stuff. There is no alternative because it costs the greedy producers more to do it.

I don't find the excuse that we won't clean up our yard because the other guy across town won't clean his up either as valid. It's whataboutism and it's bullshit. "I'm not going to stop shitting in my yard because my neighbor won't." Well guess what buddy, your yard is still covered in shit...
Much of what you mention here has actually made our lives cleaner, saves other resources and/or brings appliances and other devices to people who have their lives improved. There is a trade off.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Nuclear winter is probably pretty close to that, or at least would completely disrupt human civilization, so your assumption that humans are incapable of this kind of influence is false.

At any rate, why must the standard be uninhabitable for 1000 years before we consider mitigating risk. There are other impacts short of doomsday that merit attention. Once again, this type of rhetoric is meant to deflect, and is offered in bad faith.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Much of what you mention here has actually made our lives cleaner, saves other resources and/or brings appliances and other devices to people who have their lives improved. There is a trade off.

I have no doubt it was rooted in a good idea. But again, we've gone too far.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have no doubt it was rooted in a good idea. But again, we've gone too far.
Perhaps. I think probably. But where is the line? How far back do you roll it until there is a net negative effect? Clearly that point exists. Can we identify it and is it the same point across the Globe?

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Perhaps. I think probably. But where is the line? How far back do you roll it until there is a net negative effect? Clearly that point exists. Can we identify it and is it the same point across the Globe?

Let's start here? We're a major consumer in the world (as the 3rd largest country by population) and while we don't have the numbers that India and China do, we'll have a better impact that Norway and Sweden.

nodropinufaka

Good question. That point does exist. But where is it and how do we determine?

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
At any rate, why must the standard be uninhabitable for 1000 years before we consider mitigating risk. There are other impacts short of doomsday that merit attention. Once again, this type of rhetoric is meant to deflect, and is offered in bad faith
I know I was being hyperbolic, but what risk are we mitigating here? Harp seals losing their iceburgs? Global warming?

The public debate over climate change largely seems to revolve around whether or not it exists. I'm not really sold on what dangers to people, near or long term, we're really concerned with outside of making sure we don't give planet earth a boo boo.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
We need to solve this crisis and the science is settled. We know exactly what is going to happen and we know exactly how much carbon we need to eliminate to make it happen. This shit is an exact science and that’s why the models and predictions are so accurate time and time again. We knew back in 2000 that the glaciers would all be melted by 2020. And they were dead on. Oh wait, they just took the signs down.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
This chilling prediction was mentioned in the post article, but it’s probably worth it’s own post. It seems appropriate for this thread considering how climate change is threatening our national security and all. I haven’t been to Europe in a couple years but it seemed to still be above water at the time.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
But why does it have to be a measurable reduction?

Why can we not just reduce it on our own?
Will reducing emissions by 20% help? Will reducing by 50% have a noticeable impact? There are real costs and consequences so I’d like to know that the “science is settled”. That would start by actually being capable of accurate predictions.

Give the guardian article a read. Pretty rich stuff in there about what an embarrassing report it was for the Bush administration because they didn’t buy in to climate change. Sixteen years later we’re hearing the same shit about how climate change is threatening our national security. They did get the riots part right though.

The appeal to authority fallacy from earlier comes to mind. How could the DoD and State get this so wrong?