• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Sen. Schumer gas for electric car trade in program?

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Is it that hard to bring a canvas bag to the grocery store?

The NEX and Commissary doing that in Hawaii is one of the big reasons locals hate the military.
I guess you didn’t click the link. Organic cotton bag needs to be used 20,000 times to achieve a benefit irt climate change.

nodropinufaka

I guess you didn’t click the link. Organic cotton bag needs to be used 20,000 times to achieve a benefit irt climate change.
I guess you didnt read the entire thing?

"The study created a lot of controversial headlines for the claim that cotton tote needed to be used thousands of times to have the same impact on the environment as a single-use plastic bag. If you look a bit closer, however, it doesn’t really spell the end for this eco-warrior favourite. The reason for these very large figures wasn’t water usage or CO2 emissions but instead damage to the ozone layer; damage that was caused by gases used to help transport the fossil fuels powering the pumps that water the cotton plants."

"It is an unfair generalisation, though, as not all cotton is produced in the way they describe. Any impact on the ozone layer could be easily mitigated by switching irrigation away from fossil fuels to more renewable sources. The Danish study reveals that if climate change alone is considered, the minimum number of re-uses goes down to 149. That’s just two trips to the shop a week for one and a half years, a far more achievable number."

"There something major missing from the Danish study as well, the disastrous impact of plastic bags on marine life. So uncontrollable is their spread that in 2019, an American explorer breaking a world record for diving to the deepest part of our oceans, the Mariana Trench, found a plastic bag at a depth of nearly 11km. That means that plastic waste has made it to parts of our planet that humankind has even been to yet.
Although perhaps not as damaging to the environment in the way the Danish scientists measured, conventional plastic bags easily find their way into the sea where they can cause the death of marine animals. Several species of sea turtles are particularly fond of feasting on jellyfish and a floating plastic bag bears a striking and dangerous resemblance to their favourite food. A recent Greenpeace study in French Guiana stated that an estimated 50% of all sea turtles have ingested pieces of plastic, something that makes them far more likely to wash up dead on our beaches."

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
The plastic bags aren’t bad if they are reused (trash bags and lunch bags) and disposed of properly. The bigger problem is over consumption and overuse of packaging to begin with. 2020 was probably a record year for landfills between takeout/delivery packaging, Amazon/postal packaging, and of course useless masks, gloves, and wipes.

Agree.

Why is it that everything I buy is wrapped in 3 layers of plastic, then packed with plastic air bladders in a cardboard box, then wrapped in plastic tape, which is then wrapped with a dozen other boxes in shit tons of plastic wrap?

Also- stop making single use utensils that will outlast the stainless steel ones in my kitchen drawers.

Don't tell me that the onus is on me to save the environment. Make the people who are producing this bullshit to stop.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
I guess you didnt read the entire thing?

"The study created a lot of controversial headlines for the claim that cotton tote needed to be used thousands of times to have the same impact on the environment as a single-use plastic bag. If you look a bit closer, however, it doesn’t really spell the end for this eco-warrior favourite. The reason for these very large figures wasn’t water usage or CO2 emissions but instead damage to the ozone layer; damage that was caused by gases used to help transport the fossil fuels powering the pumps that water the cotton plants."

"It is an unfair generalisation, though, as not all cotton is produced in the way they describe. Any impact on the ozone layer could be easily mitigated by switching irrigation away from fossil fuels to more renewable sources. The Danish study reveals that if climate change alone is considered, the minimum number of re-uses goes down to 149. That’s just two trips to the shop a week for one and a half years, a far more achievable number."

"There something major missing from the Danish study as well, the disastrous impact of plastic bags on marine life. So uncontrollable is their spread that in 2019, an American explorer breaking a world record for diving to the deepest part of our oceans, the Mariana Trench, found a plastic bag at a depth of nearly 11km. That means that plastic waste has made it to parts of our planet that humankind has even been to yet.
Although perhaps not as damaging to the environment in the way the Danish scientists measured, conventional plastic bags easily find their way into the sea where they can cause the death of marine animals. Several species of sea turtles are particularly fond of feasting on jellyfish and a floating plastic bag bears a striking and dangerous resemblance to their favourite food. A recent Greenpeace study in French Guiana stated that an estimated 50% of all sea turtles have ingested pieces of plastic, something that makes them far more likely to wash up dead on our beaches."
149 is still a big number, and it’s just theater when you consider that your eco friendly canvas bag is still filled with plastic. If that makes “the locals” hate the military, perhaps they should educate themselves.

nodropinufaka

149 is still a big number, and it’s just theater when you consider that your eco friendly canvas bag is still filled with plastic. If that makes “the locals” hate the military, perhaps they should educate themselves.
My canvas bag is canvas and I used the same one since 2013. Lasts for quite a while.

And when I say it makes the locals hate the military is because the military doesn't abide by state rules (I know they don't have too) but doing that when the state legislative process played out and they banned it makes them feel even more hostile towards the military.

Educate themselves on what? They don't like the military and they never will. Whether its due to housing and BAH, lack of jobs they bring, or how a lot of military act.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
My canvas bag is canvas and I used the same one since 2013. Lasts for quite a while.

And when I say it makes the locals hate the military is because the military doesn't abide by state rules (I know they don't have too) but doing that when the state legislative process played out and they banned it makes them feel even more hostile towards the military.

Educate themselves on what? They don't like the military and they never will. Whether its due to housing and BAH, lack of jobs they bring, or how a lot of military act.
Your canvas bag is full of plastic when you leave the store. Military and tourism are the lifeblood of Hawaii but I guess it’s cool to bite the hand that feeds.

Btw, why did you dismiss the ozone angle? That was a major crisis for a while but it went away kind of like global cooling.

nodropinufaka

Your canvas bag is full of plastic when you leave the store. Military and tourism are the lifeblood of Hawaii but I guess it’s cool to bite the hand that feeds.

Btw, why did you dismiss the ozone angle? That was a major crisis for a while but it went away kind of like global cooling.

I didn’t dismiss it. I think it’s something we should address.

All I am saying is if we just use less and attempt to be sustainable it’s a good way forward.

no reason not too.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Nearly all of the plastic in the ocean is from third world countries who took our recyclables or from the voyages transporting it. Pushing recycling programs that are not financially feasible was the reason for this. No plastic straw I throw away in my city ends up in the eye of a sea turtle.
It is buried in a modern eco friendly landfill for which we there is plenty of real estate for in this country.

//Break//

I am sick to death of do gooders who have no fucking idea what is approved for their recycling program. A big reason recycling programs fail is people tossing unapproved waste in a recycling bin. They feel all so good about their efforts, but their lack of knowledge and discipline ruins sorting machines, requires hours of manual labor and millions of pounds of contaminated recyclables to be rejected. Can I get an AMEN !!!

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Nearly all of the plastic in the ocean is from third world countries who took our recyclables or from the voyages transporting it. Pushing recycling programs that are not financially feasible was the reason for this. No plastic straw I throw away in my city ends up in the eye of a sea turtle.
It is buried in a modern eco friendly landfill for which we there is plenty of real estate for in this country.

//Break//

I am sick to death of do gooders who have no fucking idea what is approved for their recycling program. A big reason recycling programs fail is people tossing unapproved waste in a recycling bin. They feel all so good about their efforts, but their lack of knowledge and discipline ruins sorting machines, requires hours of manual labor and millions of pounds of contaminated recyclables to be rejected. Can I get an AMEN !!!
Recycling in the US is AFU. I liked that in Germany all the beer bottles were one of a few shapes/colors. You buy a case of beer and you bring the case of empties to exchange. They wash them and remove the labels and reuse them.30674

nodropinufaka

It can definitely end up in the ocean if you live in Hawaii.

But shouldn't we just go back further and just try to reduce single use plastics to begin with?

SELRES_AMDO

Military and tourism are the lifeblood of Hawaii but I guess it’s cool to bite the hand that feeds.
Hawaii was an independent nation before the U.S. decided to shove freedom and democracy down their throats and overthrow the government so a few wealthy business owners could get rich.

The military could give locals $100K per year and they would still hate them ?

Last edited: