• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SELRES to VTU Question (Acronym Heavy)

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
We had several folks formally associated with my unit who were VTU types, they didn't have to deal with the NOSC except for a few things.
Good. Although I think most of the nightmare VTUs are due to VTU COs. I am sorry, a VTU CO who treats his people like hardware current SELRES on the bubble have lost it. I had one that tended that way, but he did approve of my rather permanent TDY to Recruiting.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Good. Although I think most of the nightmare VTUs are due to VTU COs. I am sorry, a VTU CO who treats his people like hardware current SELRES on the bubble have lost it.
VTU leaders are not "Commanding Officers", they are "Officers in Charge" if such authority is given to them by the NOSC CO in a letter, along with other authorities as the NOSC CO sees fit. For example, giving the VTU OIC authority to sign EVALs and FITREPs, which is one less thing the NOSC CO has to deal with.

I had one that tended that way, but he did approve of my rather permanent TDY to Recruiting.
Those of us willing to do "work" vice sitting around during the drill weekend tend to get what we want.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
VTU leaders are not "Commanding Officers", they are "Officers in Charge" if such authority is given to them by the NOSC CO in a letter, along with other authorities as the NOSC CO sees fit. For example, giving the VTU OIC authority to sign EVALs and FITREPs, which is one less thing the NOSC CO has to deal with.
They may be now, but I had two VTU COs, whatever it is worth. Not like they had a Board for such a thing. Senior dudes at the RESCEN just applied. The RESCEN CO and a couple other SELRES COs or OICs decided who got the dirty duty. Usually it was a guy that wanted to break out so he could get a pay billet out of the VTU. Sometimes it was a guy coasting to retirement that just could not sit still. I never mustered in formation in the VTU. We were a pool that the RESCEN skipper came to for volunteers to do the odd job or two befitting rank, designator and experience. I read a lot of news papers before I mustered out to the NRD.