• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SELRES to VTU Question (Acronym Heavy)

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
I’m pretty sure BGO isn’t an option for VTU... signing up for funeral honors
We had an O5 in our VTU that did BGO.

My last VTU CO did over 140 funerals before he was MOB'd. He made more doing that than he did when he was a SELRES. I suspect he'll get back into the game when he gets back.

SELRES_AMDO

My NOSC didn't really let people stack drills in VTU. You showed up to VTU muster every DWE or you were marked UA. They would sometimes allow reschedules but that involved showing up the NOSC and working there for 8 hours during the week.

Covid might have changed some rules.

SELRES_AMDO

Of course you can stack drills. While in the VTU you are just like a SELRES with the exceptions of 1) No AT requirement and 2) no pay. You have a tremendous amount of flexibility to do what you want.
Serious question. How do you stack drills in the VTU? Do you find an active unit that will let you come and work for free??

I was attached to the OSU for a bit and every IRR person I spoke to said they hated it and couldn't wait to get to 20.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As a VTU dude I simply associated informally with the local Recruiting District HQ. I drilled whenever I wanted for as many days in a row I wanted. The VTU described by @SELRES_AMDO is a nightmare that I bet drove people way. Completely unnecessary.

nodropinufaka

As a VTU dude I simply associated informally with the local Recruiting District HQ. I drilled whenever I wanted for as many days in a row I wanted. The VTU described by @SELRES_AMDO is a nightmare that I bet drove people way. Completely unnecessary.
See that would be nightmare to affiliate with VTU And that happen.

How do you even go back to selres once VTU? I’d imagine it’s not easy

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
How do you even go back to SELRES once VTU? I’d imagine it’s not easy
You have to go through a recruiter. It's not that difficult, especially if you are in an undermanned designator. I'm being offered $10k (3 year commitment) to re-affiliate as an O4/1825.

Remember as a VTU member you are already medically ready, etc. It's a much easier process that if you were coming in after a large break in service.

Last edited:

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Serious question. How do you stack drills in the VTU? Do you find an active unit that will let you come and work for free??
You use NSIPS and reschedule the drills. And yes, you find someone for whom to work for free. It's not that difficult. COVID has made this much easier due to telecommuting. But, even before COVID, you work it out with the unit / command you want to support, get a telework package submitted and grease the skids with your NOSC CO. Most would welcome you doing something useful.

My NOSC CO only made a deal out of it once in the last 2 years because at the time he did, they were getting ready for a regional inspection. To fix that glitch I had the person for whom I was working for free send the NOSC CO and email detailing what I was doing and that I had agreed to perform the work via telecommuting and in a non pay status. Easy day.

...every IRR person I spoke to said they hated it and couldn't wait to get to 20.
It depends on the person but most are lazy and whine about things. One of my O4's is a local elected official who dropped from SELRES to VTU after getting elected. He then went right back to the same SELRES unit and has been with them ever since. He's the ADMIN DH and is outperforming the other O4 SELRES in the unit.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
I know at least one senior VTU officer who goes on Zipserve and secures long term ADOS, without the hassle of having a SELRES unit upset that the officer is taking up a billet and not drilling with the unit.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
My NOSC didn't really let people stack drills in VTU. You showed up to VTU muster every DWE or you were marked UA. They would sometimes allow reschedules but that involved showing up the NOSC and working there for 8 hours during the week.
This is a communication / trust issue. The NOSC CO governs the VTU and if you are the OIC or AOIC of the VTU and do not have a good working relationship with your NOSC CO the that's on "you." Also, in the VTU you should be offering your help to the NOSC CO whenever possible. For me that means sitting on special cases and other boards when needed.

If you want the deal I have (telecommuting on rescheduled drills all of the time), then you have to arm your NOSC CO with what he/she needs. For me, that was a discussion with the NOSC CO, as well as an email from the person at the command I am supporting sending an email to the NOSC CO explaining what I am working and that I agreed to drill in a non-pay status and that the work can be done remotely and that the person at the command will muster you each time you drill. Honestly though, as an 1825/IP it's an easy sell because all of the work is done via Teams and is UNCLASS.

Last edited:

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You have to go through a recruiter.
It just keeps getting worse! Boy have things changed . I was im a VTU late 90s through the early 2000s. We never had to see a recruiter. You just went online or asked around the nosc and made an application appropriate to your designator.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You have to go through a recruiter. It's not that difficult, especially if you are in an undermanned designator. I'm being offered $10k (3 year commitment) to re-affiliate as an O4/1825.

Remember as a VTU member you are already medically ready, etc. It's a much easier process that if you were coming in after a large break in service.
You have to go through a recruiter if you are O-4 or below, as I recall.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
You have to go through a recruiter if you are O-4 or below, as I recall.
Correct.

They don't want to get rid of the VTU because then they'd have to get rid of all of the O5's and O6's who do not get paid billets when APPLY results post. CNRFC uses the VTU as a holding pin for these folks. Many an O5 and O6 also use the VTU for free agent status, which is what I am doing ? I've got four O5's in my VTU. As I previously mentioned, one of them was doing over 140 funeral details a year. He was making more money doing this than if he were in a paid O5 billet while, at the same time, had none of the O5 SELRES stressors (e.g., CO, XO, DH, etc.).

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

We had several folks formally associated with my unit who were VTU types, they didn't have to deal with the NOSC except for a few things.