• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Self Defense Training

Status
Not open for further replies.

version2point0

im going to start off with the answer to my own question, but i'd like some input anyway:

NO

the question being: do we get any self defense, hand to hand combat training in OCS? im a green belt in taekwondo and ive taken numerous other fighting classes, but i havent seen anything in any gouge talking about self defense. everyone i know seems to think that it would be logical to introduce self defense at OCS, but i have not read anything on it. can anyone provide input?

maybe im jsut eager to show off my skills. perhaps i should be, but dont comment on my desire to show off (im cocky, just like most navy pilots), just tell me if they do train self defense at ocs :)

-v2.0

kevin

i will comment because this subject is near and dear to my heart. dont know about self defense at ocs, but i doubt it. as for taekwondo, and i can comment on this cause i have a black belt, it's almost useless unless you learn submission fighting (ground and pound). i know this isnt a ufc forum but there's the bottom line.

JKD

(I also know this is the wrong board, but...)

With 8 years Combative Martial Arts training, I mostly agree with kevin. Taekwondo trains primarily in the long range area (kicking range). Some training includes the long to mid range (kicking and punching), but there is little to no intermediate (trapping) or short (grappling) taught.

It takes a highly effective long to mid range fighter to keep an adversary outside of the intermediate to short range. Good fighters should be able to transition from one range to another (both in and out). It takes much less training to learn to "bridge the gap" and effectively fight on the inside than to keep people on the outside. (Although I've seen Taekwondo practitioners who also good boxers do well at this)

I don't buy into the grappling is everything mindset (I'm also not saying that you do kevin). It's good to be well rounded.

(as always - just my opinion)

kevin

actually i do have a "grappling is everything" mindset. well almost. nobody untrained in grappling (either wrestling, bjj, judo) can prevent a solid grappler from taking a fight to the ground. however a really good grappler can prevent another grappler (sometimes) from desired position. this is where striking (mai thuy, boxing, etc) becomes effective. hence i believe grappling is what makes striking from that fighter effective (see vanderlai silva, tito ortiz, vitor belfort, rickson gracie, sakuraba, coleman, etc). so from that perspective i do agree with the well-rounded mindset. there's just a lot of stuff in martial arts (even brazilian jiu jutsu)that is completely impractical in real fighting and will have the end result of you getting ko'd, imho.

jaerose

Hey, I'm a grappler! At least I used to be...hmmm. No formal training, though. I placed 8th in Indiana at 152 lbs. in '97. Not too bad for a guy the coaches didn't think would wrestle all 4 years in high school. I've got that need to prove people wrong chip on my shoulder =) One of the coaches had 3 sons that were studs (freestyle national champs etc.), but somehow I was the first person in school history to NEVER miss a varsity match...4 years frosh-senior! Anyway, I'll shut up...I just thought I'd share 'cause I don't see too many fellow grapplers 'round these parts =)

JR

Dave Shutter

To answer the question...no. The only thing that comes close is qualifying with the Beretta 9mm. You'll also get used to slinging an old M-1 carbine around, those don't tickle when they meet someones skull.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
No No No

You may get some one way foot to ass contact, thats about it. You might get to qual with the 9mm if your schedule doesnt get jacked up. So, dont look forward to any grappling.

Dave

robv182

Gotta have the Nutz
None
Dave, you forgot about the grab and snatch out the the rack move. That may be demonstrated a few times during poopy week.

version2point0

heh. yeahi kinda figured that was the answer. oh wait, i already said that was the answer :) anyhoo, i have that whole "prove yourself" mentality because ive always been vertically challenged in regards to my stature (read: im short) but im really good at fighting, all around long intermediate and short range :) just wondering if i get to show off. however, i dont intend to defend myself against the "out of rack" or "locker stuff" maeuvers :) that will get me more pushups. i hate pushups.

-v2.0

wildflyin69

Grad of OCS 187 Charlie Co. 3rd Plt.
i practice capoeira (looks a bit like break dancing, hehe). It's a great martial art, hardly any blocking, mostly avoidance and take downs when it gets serious. While I wouldn't be stupid enough to try to take on my self-defence intructor with this sort of thing, I'm sure the avoidance and balance training that i learned (and you version2point0 with Tae Kwon Do) won't be totally wasted. Basically every martial art, when truly needed, ends up in a ground and pound anyway...

"Push the stick foward, the houses get bigger; pull back, the houses get smaller... unless you keep pulling back, then they get bigger again."

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
OK,

There is no and I repeat NO self-defense instruction at OCS. Not at all. Its not like "An Officer and a Gentleman".

Dave

grouch

If you really want to prove yourself just go to Sammy's in your dress whites and shoot your mouth off. You will be in some serious trouble with your class officer over your visit but you will have that rare oppurtunity to prove your fighting skills at OCS. Oh I almost forgot....I think in your 5th week you get to fight Louis Gossett Jr. in an abandoned hanger. You will hold your own but he will eventually kick your ass.

kevin

surely. actually i dont know, but if it's what i think it is, very important not to mix the two up. that's great you wrestled in high school. that's my biggest regret from high school and college was not wrestling (and not asking out that really cute cheerleader). not only a great workout, but very practical as i mentioned. i wonder if there are any martial arts that train you how to escape from lockers.

Status
Not open for further replies.