• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Selected pilot... told I could go Subs???

beuxbunk

I selected pilot but I am told that I am sitting in limbo because the Navy could possibly pull me in to the sub community??? Anyone else heard about this? Can they do that? (please do say: "They can do anything they damn well please") Thanks

Mavric09

Is that what she said?
If you're a midshipman, they can't tell you to go subs. It is a volunteer service only for ROTC guys. They gave that offer to me. They dangle a bunch of money in your face and say "hey, you really want this don't you." You say "Ya." They say, "We'll give it to you if you go submarines." My answer was "It'll be a cold day in hell." And, so I went off to flight school. If you're an OC or maybe from OCS (not positive on those guys, but I know OC's) they can tell you to go subs, based on "Needs of the Navy."

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You obviously missed hearing about the nuke drafts of the past couple years. News flash, when you signed on the dotted line for NROTC, you agreed to serve in the Navy, not as an aviator. At the end of the day, you'll serve where they tell you. Yes, it kind of sucks, but officer first, designator second.

navy09

None
If you're a midshipman, they can't tell you to go subs.

I'm not sure that's true. Granted, the nukes don't want someone in their community who doesn't want to be there but at the end of the day I think they can order you to go wherever they want...technically.

Realistically, most people who really want a flight slot end up getting one at the end of the day.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Hey Mavric... Your entire reply was riddled with disinformation. There was a nuke draft in ROTC a while back. Also, you can't just get drafted subs for ocs. To even get selected to ocs, you are selected for a job based on what you put down that you want on your application. That is the only perk ocs dudes have over the other commissioning sources.

ROTC is paying for your school the risk there is "hey we paid for your commission, not to be a pilot." Although it is somewhat rare, they can stick you where they need you. Ocs just fills the gaps based on what those candidates put down. If they need only sub guys, they just select those guys and big navy filters that request down to the recruiters to go out and get sub guys.

Mavric09

Is that what she said?
I was there in ROTC when they were puttin the pressure on for the sub draft. But, my CO specifically told us that they could not tell MID's to go submarines. They tried to get me to go twice, during selection my LT said a choice for subs would be appreciated, if you're considering it to at least go have your interview. I had no interest. Then a couple months later the CO called me into his office, gave me a "personalized" letter from the NSTC Admiral that said he would really like me to consider the submarine service. Then, the CO gave me the whole run of the mill submarines is a good service spiel, and said I'd get a huge bonus (whatever they were offering at the time, somewhere around 30,000) if I agreed to go. I told him no way, and he said ok. They could tell you to go anywhere else, but you had to say ok for subs. All this was about a year ago. One of my friends who wanted to be a pilot initially got mesmerized by the bonus and jumped for the underwater shaft a year before me even though he'd never even seen a sub.

For the OC's, I had two guys in my year that had zero interest in going submarines and they were both pissed and told they didn't have a choice. The reasoning the CO gave was that their contracts when they were picked up for the STA-21 program said they would go wherever the navy needed. The ROTC contracts didn't say that, so it didn't matter if the Navy "paid for my education." Subs was, and as of last year, was still a volunteer service like it was set up to be. And like I said, I had first hand knowledge on the Officer Candidates not those who went to OCS, I just figured they get the shaft but to check that. Like they say, the two most powerful ranks in the Navy are Admiral and Midshipman. God's gift to the Navy.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I personally know mids from years past who are involuntary nukes of the surface and sub types. At the end of the day, if they really really want you, they'll get you.

beuxbunk

Thanks for the info. I had heard in the past of people being told to go to a nuke interview before they selected but I just had never heard of this thing: MIDN Timmy selected pilot but we want him for subs. Mind you I realize they can send me nuke should they please but I was told specifically by my Lt. that they are looking for SUB guys. So close yet so far

EM1

Forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit
The reasoning the CO gave was that their contracts when they were picked up for the STA-21 program said they would go wherever the navy needed.
Your CO is kind-of right, but really off the mark.

STA-21 selectees are done by designator. Unless Core, you are guaranteed a slot in a community at time of acceptance to the program. Now all male NUKE options (already selected to go nuke) sign a statement of understanding that they understand they are automatically sub vols upon accepting the program. This is ONLY true for nuke options, no other designator. Only reason I can go back Nuke subs is the NFO community released me at my request. The SNFO selection was given to me when I started the program, and they could not take it away.

I'm betting those OCs at your command forced to go subs were either Core or already Nuke options. Any other designator is guaranteed in contract before going to NSI.

Pepe

If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.
pilot
I could have sworn that the sub community was a volunteer only community, just like aviation. It's a high risk (or WAS) job. Why would they need to put out huge 30k bonuses if they could just put you in subs if they needed you? Doesn't add up.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I could have sworn that the sub community was a volunteer only community, just like aviation. It's a high risk (or WAS) job. Why would they need to put out huge 30k bonuses if they could just put you in subs if they needed you? Doesn't add up.

"They" say it's all volunteer, but when you have to put it down as one of your choices....they can still claim that even though those having to do that call it "voluntold". Check out this thread for another ROTC grad's roller coaster ride and close encounter with Nuke Power

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I gotta tell you, if I were staring the nuclear option in the face, I'd probably sack up and go subs. It takes a different kind of person to do that whole steel tube thing, but they don't take guys who are retarded to do that job, and for good reason.

Warning: Anecdotal: The guys I knew from ROTC who went subs are loving it. Those who got drafted for SWO-N...are not. There's something to be said for being in a community where (almost) everyone WANTS to be there, vice got stuck there.

KCOTT

remember to pillage before you burn
pilot
Looks like someone should have done AVERAGE on their math and science classes.

Haha. This made me laugh. One of the few times in my life it paid off to be average. Didn't have to go to any nuke interview.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
All this hate towards the submarine community ;) You cannot be forced to serve on submarines: it is an all volunteer service and everyone in the force is a volunteer. Period.

You can, however, be volun-told into SWO NUC. If you are volun-told into SWO NUC, I would highly recommend going SUB NUC. Your quality of life, IMHO, will be 100x better.

As a SUB NUC Officer you a) will be paid more (sub pay / sea pay / NUC bonus stuff), b) will enjoy better camaraderie with the crew, and c) will have an opportunity to go to Dive School, which kicks butt, and means that will also receive dive pay. In my diving division, we had (4) enlisted and (2) Officer divers.