• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Selected Jets

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Don't suck.

Congrats!

Added:

Jet advanced was the most frustrating and hardest part of flight school... and also the most enjoyable. It sucks at first, really sucks. No one I know liked the beginning of jet advanced. If you find yourself saying "this sucks!"... that's normal. Once you get in the front seat in FAMs and take that JET out on a solo... life is good. Then it goes back to sucking. However, after a shorter period of sucking, it gets really good... they let you drop bombs for crying out loud :) I am much more proud of getting my wings through the jet pipeline than I am of getting my Electrical Engineering degree. It was hard, it was fun, it sucked a lot, I did things most people only watch on TV (CQ is the BEST part of jet training). The day you find yourself saying "WHAT am I doing here?"... and then look up to see a 4-plane division come into the break at 400 knots... yeah, it's pretty sweet :)

Start with your A-game. Work your tail off. Remember how in Primary average was below average? It's even worse in jetland. Be very hard on yourself, it will pay dividends. You will fail at some point... the only down I ever had was in jet advanced. It crushed me, but it was also good for me, shook me up and then I got back on my feet... and hey, now I'm flying Super Hornets.

Enjoy.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
CHECK YOUR GRADES EARLY AND OFTEN. Learn the system, it's different than Primary (old Navy aboves/belows/etc.) and can bite you if you're one of those "I don't want to know my GPA" types. Know how you're doing from day 1 and don't be afraid to ask for help if you need it.

And look forward to the most insane stuff you have ever done in an airplane to date. Congrats!

Whalebite

I saw, congrats!, what were the other selections? everyone get what they put in for? Is the USMC jet grades 53 now?
Any advice for thoes of us that would like to follow in your jet blast, ive been here more than 3 mos and only just getting back to contacts after bi's

freshy

Genius by birth. Slacker by choice.
pilot
Don't suck.

Congrats!

Added:

Jet advanced was the most frustrating and hardest part of flight school... and also the most enjoyable. It sucks at first, really sucks. No one I know liked the beginning of jet advanced. If you find yourself saying "this sucks!"... that's normal. Once you get in the front seat in FAMs and take that JET out on a solo... life is good. Then it goes back to sucking. However, after a shorter period of sucking, it gets really good... they let you drop bombs for crying out loud :) I am much more proud of getting my wings through the jet pipeline than I am of getting my Electrical Engineering degree. It was hard, it was fun, it sucked a lot, I did things most people only watch on TV (CQ is the BEST part of jet training). That day you find yourself saying "WHAT am I doing here?"... and then look up to see a 4-plane division come into the break at 400 knots... yeah, it's pretty sweet :)

Start with your A-game. Work your tail off. Remember how in Primary average was below average? It's even worse in jetland. Be very hard on yourself, it will pay dividends. You will fail at some point... the only down I ever had was in jet advanced. It crushed me, but it was also good for me, shook me up and then I got back on my feet... and hey, now I'm flying Super Hornets.

Enjoy.

Thanks for the heads-up! And thanks everyone for the moto!! In my class everyone got their first choice out of VT-28. (Thank God for the jet draft)

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fly pretty much hit the nail on the head, but a few other things to consider (I just completed so I can afford to take the time to have some bourbon and philosophize on a weekday, apologies for the long post:D)

In college, I ran a marathon. If you take flight school as a whole as a similar long-time, long-distance test of motivation, I definitely hit the proverbial wall in flight school about the same time I did in the race. Mile 18 or so, just felt like hell on earth and the end was nowhere in sight. Similar feeling about the end of Phase I, beginning of Phase II. I had a hard time at first and was really frustrated at my grades. The moral is to KEEP PLUGGING no matter what. Don't think that just because you completed RIs in Primary that instrument approaches are a piece of cake. In theory, yes. in practice, no. The Goshawk will humble you if you let it. Get in the sim and practice constantly.

Few people get through the program without any pink in their jacket (only one guy in my class of 6), which is a slap in the face after Primary, where you have to be pretty damn good just to get here. Dust yourself off, learn from the experience and keep going. And remember, the jerk has as much to teach you as the "cool" IP. It's possible to go from rock star in T-34 land to average schmuck (or worse) in Advanced. The bell curve has shifted.

There is more of a wardroom atmosphere in Advanced than Primary, especially as you get close to the end. Though the student/instructor gap is still there (as it should be), it's a little less pronounced. IPs will get to know you by name (and callsign in later parts of Phase II) and you'll feel more a part of the unit than just a random guy there for 6 months. Granted, you still "sir" them, etc.

Finally, I remember the confidence I had in my little Turbo-weenie at the end of Primary, but I never really knew what it meant to be one with an airplane until the end of Advanced. You stop thinking about the monkey skills and just put the airplane where your brain says it has to go. I remember early on worrying about all the solo time, but frankly it's the best part of the syllabus. You're being judged on your actions alone, without an IP to rescue you if you screw up. Tons of fun.

And there's no better feeling than overnighting on an aircraft carrier with your buds, wandering the flight deck surrounded by jets that YOU PUT THERE. Proudest moment of my life. You'll love it.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Forgot to add... the atmosphere in jet advanced (probably all advances) is one of teaching and getting you wings... not weeding out and attriting. So long as you show that you are trying and working hard... they will do everything they can to help you. I saw an entire squadron (IP side) try to save a guy from attriting because he showed them that he worked his a$$ off AND had a good attitude (attitude is EVERYTHING). Sometimes they're successful, sometimes not, but so long as you do your part, they will definitely try to do theirs.

Oh, and I'm not sure how Kingsville is... but Meridian sim IPs make Primary sim IPs look like Santa Claus.

Chubby

Mefesto said:
Remember that for every student in your class, there are 10,000 people out there that would kill for the opportunity you've been given.
This is especially important during AN's and IR's ... you'll see.

Congrats.