• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Seeking Some Clarity in the Intracacies of the OCS Application Process

exNavyOffRec

BleedGreen, I had already reviewed the waiver guide in detail and also provided it to my eye surgeon. He had assured me I would meet all the requirements. The one interesting thing is that I know there is a 6 month wiat period after surgery for the waiver to pass, but the waiver does say:
"At least three months have elapsed since surgery or re-treatment and evidence of stable refractive error" This is just interesting that they use 3 months there not 6.

• I have already had my surgery and am already at 20/20 with no issues at all. My OR is currently scheduling my MEPS exam in which I will provide them with all of my operative documents and I will disclose all the details of my vision to them.
  • NavyOffRec, you said "you need to be able to be PQ within 90 days of selection". Does this mean I can go through MEPS this month (post surgery). They will clear me for everything but my vision. And I can actually join an earlier Board (September or October? Since these are within 90 days of being PQed?) Apologies if I am misinterpreting, but my goal is to join as soon as physically possible.
  • I plan to retake the ASTB in two weeks, this time with enough time to prepare.
  • I will complete the NASIS security forms in June (as I have heard this can take some time). For this piece, I am just going to inform my employers and be upfront with them. They are very reasonable and I believe they will support me all the way.
  • I will get all 5 LOR in by the end of June/beginning of July
With these action items completed will I be able to get pro rec'd and then just wait on getting PQed to get my final decision? I feel the sooner I can get pro rec'd the more at peace I can be.

Thanks to all of you again for your support and insights. It means the world to me and is very appreciated.

6 months is for civilians, 3 is if you are on AD

MEPS will require you to wait until you have had your 6 month checkup from eye surgery before they will see you, if submitted before they will tag you with RBJ then a date.

NASIS does not take that much time at all, your investigation just has to be "opened", no reason to let your employer know, how many people go into work and let everyone know they are applying for another job, I have seen first hand how this can go south.

Hybrid55

Nick
pilot
Thank you all for the information. Very helpful. NavyOffRec, when you say "opened" do I just fill out the SF86 and keep it saved and just not submit? (I have already done this).

Also, so based on the 6 month wait, would it be smart to apply for a board sometime around September and if I am pro-rec'd I can get PQed by MEPS within that 90 day window to get my FS letter since my 6 months will be up in November?

exNavyOffRec

Thank you all for the information. Very helpful. NavyOffRec, when you say "opened" do I just fill out the SF86 and keep it saved and just not submit? (I have already done this).

Also, so based on the 6 month wait, would it be smart to apply for a board sometime around September and if I am pro-rec'd I can get PQed by MEPS within that 90 day window to get my FS letter since my 6 months will be up in November?

"open" is a term OPM and NRC use to signify the SF86 has and fingerprints have been rec'd and they are starting to move forward with the investigation.

NRC is moving toward having people PQ'd before submission, they held off initially but they want to make that happen, so you will have to play it by ear, and Sept would be cutting it close, after the 6 months is up the documents are submitted to MEPS, then they have to review them, then they give the OK to physical, then you have to have the physical, then there can be a 2 week wait for the results, then it goes to N3M and finally they send their results to the NRD.

Hybrid55

Nick
pilot
The first step is correct spelling, especially when in the title...

I actually had noticed that before but had no way of changing it. I apologize for relying on my spell check and offending you with my misspelling. Thank you for graciously ignoring all the other effort I put into describing my situation and simply just criticizing that error.

alaurin

All day, every day!
I hope for the original poster's sake that NAMI won't disqualify him for LASIK... Nothing with the military is ever set in stone. (I personally opted for PRK over LASIK because of that). I don't think you can list SNA 3x on your application.

I would get MEPS done before I submit my application if I were you. The last thing you want is to get your select letter then have to reapply because MEPS is holding onto your paperwork for "further review." Be sure to tell the people writing your LORs not to date the documents in case your application gets held up. All the paperwork is only valid for about 6 months, I've been told. I was also told yesterday that the FS letter has a 60-day window for MEPS clearance, but I could be wrong (it happens pretty often). I'm personally hoping I'm wrong, since MEPS likes to hold my paperwork for months at a time, then they give me last minute appointments in the middle of very important school events.

Don't stress out too much. It's a long and tedious process, but you also have plenty of time and can afford to be choosy with when you send your application in. Use your free time to study up, recover from LASIK and write a stellar motivational statement.

RiseR 25

I actually had noticed that before but had no way of changing it. I apologize for relying on my spell check and offending you with my misspelling. Thank you for graciously ignoring all the other effort I put into describing my situation and simply just criticizing that error.

I'm getting a sense of great enthusiasm from your posts. That is excellent, but if I may add my 0.02 please.

I implore you to reconsider (or at least seriously reexamine) your decision to go LASIK vs. PRK. The regulation is there for a specific reason. The demands of Naval Aviation can (and often are) more demanding than those of a fighter guy in the Air Force, or the Army (both services approve LASIK and PRK for pilot applicants). I believe the stated reason for that regulation is the fact that the Navy has not tested the long term effects of arrested landings on guys who had LASIK. I'm sure there are a multitude of reasons.

Case in point, an applicant beat my scores on the ASTB (9/9/9 79 vs my 7/8/8 55) to my knowledge. My recruiter sent him away because he chose LASIK instead of PRK.

If you have any questions/concerns about this process feel free to contact me (PM). I have been through the 6 month waiting period and give you the gouge on it. Good luck, but please think long and hard about your eye surgery choice before you jump in.

RiseR 25

All,

Please disregard my last post, I forgot to check the date on the original post and I'm now up to speed on the fact that Hybrid already did the surgery. Glad to see you are making a good recovery Hybrid.