• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Seeking Some Clarity in the Intracacies of the OCS Application Process

Hybrid55

Nick
pilot
Hi all,

So I am currently in the process of applying for OCS as a pilot. I apologize in advance for the length of this message, but I really just want to get it all out there to hopefully find some answers. I have been scouring the forums for some time now and have tried to obtain all the information I could without having to post, but there were some issues that remain unclear to me and some that are specific to my situation.

My grandfather and his squadron members have been a huge inspiration to me for pursing this path, he is a retired Rear Admiral in the Navy and was a pilot. My heart is currently set on being a pilot (plan to list SNA 3 times on the application) and I believe it to be my calling in life (I know this is probably said a lot, but I am just being honest).

I am actually undergoing LASIK surgery this upcoming Friday so that I can qualify as a pilot. I understand that this will require a waiver and I even spoke with a NAMI doctor down at Pensacola to ensure that LASIK was currently as safe a route for being granted a waiver as PRK and LASEK. Based on my discussion with him, it seems as though the Navy is moving toward LASIK as the preferred surgery. I have thoroughly researched the waiver guidelines and should be able to have surgery done to qualify to be a Student Naval Aviator with the waiver. As you know, the unfortunate aspect of the surgery is that there is the 6 month wait period. That would mean I would not qualify physically until November 24th. My OR informed me that this is fine and has been in a rush to get everything done ASAP for the December board, suggesting MEPS first, then security forms, then application/references, etc. I have been reading up on here for a while and I'm just in need of some clarity as to what is required before being professionally recommended (pro rec'd) and then professionally qualified. And at which point can you be sure that you have been accepted into OCS. It seems as though the first things to get in are the application with references and the ASTB to see if you are pro rec'd? I have not seen any definitive language on this around the site however.

I understand that the recruiters are the primary resource for our questions. However, based on my experiences thus far with my local recruiter, it seems as though their primary concern is not finding the best spot for the individual, but rather just getting a commitment as quickly as possible. With that said, I had a couple of questions regarding the application process in addition to the ones above. Since I am having LASIK and there is a 6 month wait period till I can be cleared medically, what is advantageous to hold off on completing (MEPS, PRT, etc.) and what is best to complete first. This somewhat ties into my first question as to what is required to be pro-rec'd. Also, can I be pro rec'd before the 6 month wait period passes So long as MEPS says everything is fine I just need to get the waiver for my eyes in November? My recruiters suggested a certain process of applying first where I would not be qualified to be a pilot and then resubmitting with the waiver to be considered qualified, it was confusing and I was a bit alarmed by it because I do want to ensure my application as a pilot.

I am now 24 and went to a pretty good liberal arts college, Colby College, and graduated with a 3.5 in Economics and was captain of the football team there. I now pursue a Masters in Accounting because it was funded by work and have a 3.7 currently, but the degree is on hold now due to my current plans with the Navy. I am currently working a good job in finance/consulting for a Big 4 accounting company and am in line for a promotion this July. However, I do not believe it to be my calling in life. When I first went down to the recruiting station my recruiter convinced me to take the ASTB exam, but did not emphasize the amount of studying that it required! (In fact, the recruiter even was going to have me take it with no prior studying, which I learned is crazy!). However, fortunately we agreed to schedule it for a later date. Based on their initial impressions and because I was so busy with work and school (was in the middle of the MSA degree class finals), I was not able to put in as much time studying as I realized the exam warranted after additional research. Nevertheless, I took the exam and scored 6/6/7 55, which my recruiter said was great and competitive. My question on this is whether I might as well retake this because of the wait period for the eye surgery and boost my scores (I got theses scores on one night of study and know I could significantly improve them with ample preparation)? Let me know your thoughts if I should spend the time retaking.

My final questions relates to my chances of being accepted currently and when would be the best time to tell my current bosses my plans to enter the Navy and when I should seek their references.

Please let me know all of your thoughts. I truly appreciate all and any of your insight.

BleedGreen

pilot
Welcome to AirWarrors! First thing I would suggest is to search around the various sections, their is a more information on here than you can imagine about applying for a commission right here on this forum. Also, the search function in the top right works pretty well too. I'll try to get you started nonetheless...

This thread does a great job in explaining the steps required and what to expect when applying for OCS.
http://www.airwarriors.com/community/index.php?threads/applying-for-a-naval-commission.10250/

You can browse through any of the threads titled "applying to the (insert month) board" to compare your stats with people that were recently selected or are waiting for the next board. That's the best way to gauge what your chances are, but truthfully no one can say exactly what your chances are until you apply. The link below will take you the section where you can find those threads.
http://www.airwarriors.com/community/index.php?forums/navy-ocs.44/

Looks like your off to a good start already getting the LASIK taken care of ASAP and having a degree with a competive GPA.
Good luck with everything and I hope this helps answer some of your questions.

Hybrid55

Nick
pilot
Thank you so much for the reply! I have definitely spent a significant amount of time reading that thread and the others, but my questions above are a bit more specific and I have spent hours trying to find the direct answers to them. I apologize in advance if there was a clear answer in a former thread that I missed, but I believe most of the questions aren't very straightforward.

Please let me know guys...

paddybh1583

OCS 6 OCT 2013
I would allow for a good chunk of time to gather references, especially from your employer. I had to be very persistent to get a few of my references in on time. Other than that I would use the links BleedGreen provided. Your scores, GPA, etc are competitive based upon info from the last three SNA/SNFO boards. Best of luck

Hybrid55

Nick
pilot
Okay, thank you! I guess my biggest question before I let my job know that I will be leaving them for the Navy is whether or not I can start OCS before obtaining my waiver (which would be in November before 6 months have passed). I can't seem to find a definitive answer on this. My vision is already near perfect following the surgery and I would like to apply for an earlier board than November/December, but didn't know if I could have the waiver go through while at OCS and then finally become physically qualified for SNA while at OCS.

paddybh1583

OCS 6 OCT 2013
Not 100% sure on that one. I would refer that to NavyoffRec or another member who may have the answer. However, if possible, you would have to ask yourself if you would be willing to do NFO, SWO, etc if the waiver wasn't approved while at OCS. You wrote that your intention was to put SNA for all three spots on the application.

BleedGreen

pilot
You won't get the waiver until your actually in but when you complete your commissioning physical, your measurements will be compared to the program's standards for eligibility.

Hybrid55

Nick
pilot
Okay so should I try to get into an earlier board than November/December even though my waiver won't be eligible until then?

Renegade One

None
Hi all,

So I am currently in the process of applying for OCS as a pilot. Please let me know all of your thoughts. I truly appreciate all and any of your insight.
First of all, "full marks" for posting enough background on your Profile Page so that we can take you seriously. Good for you. A couple of thoughts...
1. If all you want from the Navy/Marine Corps is an SNA slot…just list that…as it appears you're intending to do. Don't know if you have to list it three times…but I get the idea.
2. Your academic creds seems fine…actually, BETTER than fine…but somewhere up there I think you alluded to "having to put the Master's Degree" on hold…not sure I understand that part. "Knowledge Is Good." ~ Emil Faber. Use the future time to whack out as much as you possibly can.
3. If your current employer(s) is(are) anywhere near the sort of people you would want to work for, they should FULLY support….and understand the potential implications of…what you're trying to do with your life. I'd be disappointed if they didn't form your newest "Cheerleader Squad"…and support you all they way…whatever comes next.
4. Be straight with your ORs (and NavyoffRec) on this forum. Tell 'em what you want…what you're doing about it…and ask for their best help in navigating the shoal waters ahead.

I actually think that's exactly what you're doing…I'm just kibitzing, in the final analysis.

Good luck!

BleedGreen

pilot
part of the eligibility check is making sure your within the appropriate time frame. Google NAMI aeromedical waiver guide for all the specifics if you don't already have them.

exNavyOffRec

Keep pushing forward with your civilian job, there are no guarantees that you will go to OCS, some things are beyond the individuals control.

MEPS will make you wait 6 months after eye surgery to get seen, and you need to be able to be PQ within 90 days of selection, if you go to MEPS prior to surgery you will have to submit medical documents to N3M 6 months after surgery to get a PQ letter, a PQ letter leads to a final select letter and that has your OCS date on it.

Everything else looks good, your ASTB score could be a bit higher but you are moving in the right direction.

Hybrid55

Nick
pilot
First of all, "full marks" for posting enough background on your Profile Page so that we can take you seriously. Good for you. A couple of thoughts...
1. If all you want from the Navy/Marine Corps is an SNA slot…just list that…as it appears you're intending to do. Don't know if you have to list it three times…but I get the idea.
2. Your academic creds seems fine…actually, BETTER than fine…but somewhere up there I think you alluded to "having to put the Master's Degree" on hold…not sure I understand that part. "Knowledge Is Good." ~ Emil Faber. Use the future time to whack out as much as you possibly can.
3. If your current employer(s) is(are) anywhere near the sort of people you would want to work for, they should FULLY support….and understand the potential implications of…what you're trying to do with your life. I'd be disappointed if they didn't form your newest "Cheerleader Squad"…and support you all they way…whatever comes next.
4. Be straight with your ORs (and NavyoffRec) on this forum. Tell 'em what you want…what you're doing about it…and ask for their best help in navigating the shoal waters ahead.

I actually think that's exactly what you're doing…I'm just kibitzing, in the final analysis.

Good luck!

Thank you for the support Renegade One! I really appreciate it. The Master's Degree is funded by the company to get credentialed, but once I inform them that I am applying for OCS I highly doubt that they will continue to fund it (and I certainly do not have the money to do so).

part of the eligibility check is making sure your within the appropriate time frame. Google NAMI aeromedical waiver guide for all the specifics if you don't already have them.

BleedGreen, I had already reviewed the waiver guide in detail and also provided it to my eye surgeon. He had assured me I would meet all the requirements. The one interesting thing is that I know there is a 6 month wiat period after surgery for the waiver to pass, but the waiver does say:
"At least three months have elapsed since surgery or re-treatment and evidence of stable refractive error" This is just interesting that they use 3 months there not 6.

Keep pushing forward with your civilian job, there are no guarantees that you will go to OCS, some things are beyond the individuals control.

MEPS will make you wait 6 months after eye surgery to get seen, and you need to be able to be PQ within 90 days of selection, if you go to MEPS prior to surgery you will have to submit medical documents to N3M 6 months after surgery to get a PQ letter, a PQ letter leads to a final select letter and that has your OCS date on it.

Everything else looks good, your ASTB score could be a bit higher but you are moving in the right direction.

NavyOffRec and everyone else, thank you for your replies. I plan to do whatever it takes to get into OCS and though I know there are no guarantees, I have faith that this is my calling and am certain that things will fall into place. (Please do not take me for arrogant in this certainty, for I do not put this faith solely in my own actions, but I trust Christ. Call me a fanatic or think what you will on that, but I stand firm on it and am not some wack job) With that said, here is my current plan based on all the amazing advice you and the others above have provided:
  • I have already had my surgery and am already at 20/20 with no issues at all. My OR is currently scheduling my MEPS exam in which I will provide them with all of my operative documents and I will disclose all the details of my vision to them.
  • NavyOffRec, you said "you need to be able to be PQ within 90 days of selection". Does this mean I can go through MEPS this month (post surgery). They will clear me for everything but my vision. And I can actually join an earlier Board (September or October? Since these are within 90 days of being PQed?) Apologies if I am misinterpreting, but my goal is to join as soon as physically possible.
  • I plan to retake the ASTB in two weeks, this time with enough time to prepare.
  • I will complete the NASIS security forms in June (as I have heard this can take some time). For this piece, I am just going to inform my employers and be upfront with them. They are very reasonable and I believe they will support me all the way.
  • I will get all 5 LOR in by the end of June/beginning of July
With these action items completed will I be able to get pro rec'd and then just wait on getting PQed to get my final decision? I feel the sooner I can get pro rec'd the more at peace I can be.
Thanks to all of you again for your support and insights. It means the world to me and is very appreciated.

Hybrid55

Nick
pilot
Sorry for the double post. Just was eager to get some feedback on my responses to your suggestions. Do you guys have anything for me?

arianjalali

as an applicant who just completed MEPS today, i can tell you that the odds are slim-to-none that you can do the entire physical sans vision. my advice to you is focus on MEPS when the time arrives. you're only 24 right now.. you've got myriad shots to apply.. don't stress yourself out about it so soon! you're eventually gonna have to get familiar with the sentiment "hurry up and wait," anyway, if this is truly what you wanna do :-p

also, what navyoffrec is referring to is if/when you get a pro-rec, then you have 90 days to PQ in order to get your FS letter. also, the PRT comes after pro-rec as well. you won't have to worry about that any time soon, either.

exNavyOffRec

as an applicant who just completed MEPS today, i can tell you that the odds are slim-to-none that you can do the entire physical sans vision. my advice to you is focus on MEPS when the time arrives. you're only 24 right now.. you've got myriad shots to apply.. don't stress yourself out about it so soon! you're eventually gonna have to get familiar with the sentiment "hurry up and wait," anyway, if this is truly what you wanna do :-p

also, what navyoffrec is referring to is if/when you get a pro-rec, then you have 90 days to PQ in order to get your FS letter. also, the PRT comes after pro-rec as well. you won't have to worry about that any time soon, either.

PRT not required, most NRD's have stopped due to risk and all the hoops that NRC requires, essentially nearly impossible to do it if you follow the instruction.