• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Seeking any and all help and advice

Arkansas_Pilot

I currently attend the United States Merchant Marine Academy (Kings Point). We are given few flight spots, from what I have heard I was one of the top picks of my school for flight, but after the selection board reviewed the packets I was not chosen for flight or even an alternate should any of the other midshipman become disqualified medically or though school. I know I don't have a high GPA (2.712), but I am enrolled in marine engineering, 1 of the 2 choices of majors at the academy. I currently have 2000 flight hours in both rotor and fixed wing aircraft, including turbine, tail dragger, and high performance complex aircraft. I have commercial ratings in both aircraft but due to not enough time at home I have not been able to take my instrument check ride. Does anyone know of any possibilities of attempting again or reconsidering the packet?

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Not sure about reconsideration at USMMA, but you're other options would be take the commission as a SWO or similar and redes or go civilian mariner and then OCS on a flight contract.

Arkansas_Pilot

We were given less SWO positions than aviation (including NFO). The thing about going civilian mariner is we recieve a commision in the naval reserve upon graduation and what I have heard is if we aren't picked up senior year at the academy then after graduation as a reserve officer we couldn't transition over to flight (this coming from an alumni that has tried mutliple years to do so)?

Our commitment totals 8 years in the naval reserve but if we choose that option we must work in the maritime industry for 6 years (shore side or sailing), but we also have the option of taking the reserve commision or an active duty commision in any branch of the military.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Any branch? Pledge some Air Guard units. They like to see lots of civilian time. There is a Guard rescue unit on Long Island. Start there.

Arkansas_Pilot

I apologize if it comes off rude or arrogant but I was hoping for an active duy position, unless there is a way to go active from there? I had came here with all intentions of going military flight and will search into the Air Guard, thank you.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I apologize if it comes off rude or arrogant but I was hoping for an active duy position, unless there is a way to go active from there? I had came here with all intentions of going military flight and will search into the Air Guard, thank you.

My dad spent 28 years with the Syracuse unit. 24 of which were Active Duty (AGR- Active Guard/Reserve). The other 4 were as a full time Air Reserve Technician (ART- still full time, but doesn't really going towards active duty time- only the drill time does).

Edit: He came to the unit right out of ROTC and they sent him to pilot training.

exNavyOffRec

Not sure about reconsideration at USMMA, but you're other options would be take the commission as a SWO or similar and redes or go civilian mariner and then OCS on a flight contract.

Since USMMA grads receive at least a reserve commission they are ineligible to apply for any OCS programs.

exNavyOffRec

Would there be any possibility to search a route through an outside navy officer recruiter?

NRD's and OR's are prohibited from working with anyone that holds any commission that is trying to get into an OCS program, they have to go directly to NPC.

You mentioned your GPA but not your PFAR or FOFAR.

exNavyOffRec

I am not exactly sure what good scores are, but my PFAR=7 and FOFAR=6 .

A PFAR of 7 with a gpa of 2.7 isn't that great, the few I have seen selected with gpa of 2.7 had PFAR's of 9. I can say I have seen few (single digits) get selected with GPA less than 2.8, but this is from the OCS standpoint.

Arkansas_Pilot

So a retake of the ASTB would have been better? But from what I had heard from the midshipmen that had been selected was my score was higher than theirs, but I am guessing if they have a higher GPA it allows for lower test scores?

exNavyOffRec

So a retake of the ASTB would have been better? But from what I had heard from the midshipmen that had been selected was my score was higher than theirs, but I am guessing if they have a higher GPA it allows for lower test scores?

5 is the minimum PFAR, I have never seen a person picked up with a 5, 6 is low as well and up until the last board I hadn't seen a person picked up with a 6, but generally if you see a person with a lower GPA they want to see a higher PFAR.