• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Seeking advice on that first handgun or next weapon purchase? Ask AW!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Question for those in the know - I'm looking at a CZ75 P01 or P06. I don't think they're legal for dealer sale in CA but I shouldn't have any trouble moving there with one... right? And while I'm at it, anyone have an opinion about the gun?

Correct, you can import all the off-list handguns you want when you come into the state.

Tex_Hill

Airborne All the Way!!!
Hi guys, I'm looking to add a tactical shotgun to my collection and was wondering if anyone here had personal experience with the Heckler & Koch FABARM FP6? I found a used one for sale for $350.00 and I don't know enough about this gun to know if $350 is a good price or if there are issues with this model that I should look for. The only shotgun I've ever owned was a 20 gauge Ithica model 37 Featherlight that my brother and I shared when we were kids. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Tex

Tex_Hill

Airborne All the Way!!!
Hi guys, I'm looking to add a tactical shotgun to my collection and was wondering if anyone here had personal experience with the Heckler & Koch FABARM FP6? I found a used one for sale for $350.00 and I don't know enough about this gun to know if $350 is a good price or if there are issues with this model that I should look for. The only shotgun I've ever owned was a 20 gauge Ithica model 37 Featherlight that my brother and I shared when we were kids. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Tex

Lawman

None
For that money yeah its not a super deal or anything but its not full price either. They are as good as any well built 870 or 500/590 tactical out there. I almost picked one up, only thing that stopped me was finding a New England Firearms 12 Gauge tactical for 150 dollars at Dicks. At that point I couldnt justify having 2 pump guns as a broke college kid. Now that I have money... for tactical shotguns its semi autos.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
Now that I have money... for tactical shotguns its semi autos.

After being a long time 870 fan I've gone over to the dark side. I'm a simi auto fan for self defense too. I have an FN SLP and a Mossburg 930 SPX. I guess if I had to pick one it would be the FN but the 930 is about $300 less and shoots great too.

I swithched after shootng a few 3 gun matches with an 870. Pumping a shotgun from the prone position is a pain in the ass. It can be done in several different ways but it ain't easy. A pump shotgun is a great defense weapon just be sure you shoot it alot. It's not uncommon for people to short shuck them under stress. That is a very good way to get killed.

I think a good auto is the way to go.

Flugelman

Contributor
A pump shotgun is a great defense weapon just be sure you shoot it alot. It's not uncommon for people to short shuck them under stress. That is a very good way to get killed.

And don't wait until the bad guy is in the house to shuck it, like in the movies. That's just time wasted...

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
Yup. I'd rather the zombie woof not know how I'm armed and I damn sure don't want him to know where I am until I decide it's time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sodajones

Combat Engineer
When I was a kid, a man broke into our two story home from the back patio. My dad heard it, got up, grabbed the shotgun and pumped one in the chamber. That was enough for the intruder to take a hint. He ran out the back and he never came back. I know one size does not fit all in these situations, but for my father, letting the intruder know that someone was waiting with 00 was a successful deterrent in its own right.

matthewARCH

I'm looking to get another handgun. Currently, I have a S&W PK 380 semi-Auto. I primarily got it for CCW, because of its size. I'd like something with more range to it, and something probably for personal home protection. My father served 20 years in the military USAF, as an MP and Special Investigations Unit and he has an AWESOME 38 special. I LOVE that thing but its 20 years old and they don't make them like that anymore. Any suggestions?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I'm looking to get another handgun. Currently, I have a S&W PK 380 semi-Auto. I primarily got it for CCW, because of its size. I'd like something with more range to it, and something probably for personal home protection. My father served 20 years in the military USAF, as an MP and Special Investigations Unit and he has an AWESOME 38 special. I LOVE that thing but its 20 years old and they don't make them like that anymore. Any suggestions?

If you're looking for a wheel gun, I'd seriously look at a S&W 686. They come in several sizes (compact out to longer barrel lengths) and in .357, so you can shoot .38 or .357. Several of the older gents where I shoot use them in competition (tricked out a little bit) and love them. I fondled one in a store (I think it was a ~3.5-4 inch model) and it felt really nice. I don't really have a reason to get into revolvers right now, but that's where I'd start if I was.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Oh Ye Olde Wheelegunne... How can something that looks so wrong feel so right?

I became reacquainted with revolvers when S&W released it's Nightguard series during my '08 deployment, and I decided that I needed to own one in .45ACP. In fact, it was second post-deployment purchase (behind a Big Green Egg), as I had to wait for it to be ordered. The local gun store owners looked at me all cross eyed when I asked them for a quote on one, but I would not be deterred. There are pictures in the first couple pages of the 'My Latest Purchase' thread here, I think.

Revolvers are, in my opinion, comparatively simpler when it comes to dealing with malfunctions, because generally speaking, you can get away with pulling the trigger again until the damn thing goes BANG again. There's also only the double action trigger pull to contend with for a safety, which can be good when dealing with a genuine stressful situation. And alternatively, you can always bash Mr. Shithead in the face with it, provided you have a heavy enough gun. My Nightguard and Performance Center 625 both fit in that category, and both have sights that are easily acquirable. The Nightguard has an XS tritium big dot front/rear groove site setup, which works really well in low/no light. The PC 625 has a gold bead and adjustable rear site, which my eyes track much better than the XS. Neither is what I would call imminently concealable, but the Nightguard does a better job than it's longer barreled sibling. I realize that there are any multitude of different frame sizes and barrel lengths available, though, and I do have a hammerless S&W 642 that I carry when I'm looking for something lightweight and very concealable.

Where the real issue arises, though, is when you bring reloads and the act of reloading into the picture. .45ACP revolvers require either .45 auto rim ammo, or the use of moonclips, and either choice presents a rather bulky item (moonclip or speed loader) to carry in a pocket. I mitigate the bulk when I carry .38 by using Bianchi Speed Strips, which present a flatter item for carry in pockets. That presents the other half of the issue: Reloading. Reloading a revolver is mechanically more complicated and vastly different than doing so with a semiautomatic pistol. That sounds like a plain statement, but it wasn't until I considered shooting USPSA with a revolver that I began to realize how different it was. I'm not bad when it comes to reloading any of my production semiautos in competition. The mechanics of my motions are sound, but I've had to work hard to get them where they are. Even then, there are any number of people who make me look like a turtle with a nervous disorder trying to walk uphill on glass when they execute a reload. To seriously approach the matter of reloading a revolver under stress, I had to completely start from scratch. The motions and fine motor skills are just so different. Using something like a Speed Strip (IF it's an option, caliber wise) can be faster, if you practice, but it's not something that I would have been able to do under stress from the get go.

In the end, though, I do enjoy shooting/carrying the occasional wheelgun, but I use them for specific applications. And this is, after all, just one man's opinion.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
I need glass. I've been looking into (finally) putting an optic on my 700 VTR. (It took me a while to convince the wife to allow me use of the funds, and I became distracted by changing jobs in the last couple of months.) So it's about time to cough up the dough for at least a decent scope. I'm mainly looking to use the rifle for medium-ish range work, out to around 700-800yd or so, using (more or less) standard 168gr BTHP .308 rounds.

Anyone have recommendations? I'm not trying to completely break the bank

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Where the real issue arises, though, is when you bring reloads and the act of reloading into the picture. .45ACP revolvers require either .45 auto rim ammo, or the use of moonclips, and either choice presents a rather bulky item (moonclip or speed loader) to carry in a pocket. I mitigate the bulk when I carry .38 by using Bianchi Speed Strips, which present a flatter item for carry in pockets. That presents the other half of the issue: Reloading. Reloading a revolver is mechanically more complicated and vastly different than doing so with a semiautomatic pistol. That sounds like a plain statement, but it wasn't until I considered shooting USPSA with a revolver that I began to realize how different it was. I'm not bad when it comes to reloading any of my production semiautos in competition. The mechanics of my motions are sound, but I've had to work hard to get them where they are. Even then, there are any number of people who make me look like a turtle with a nervous disorder trying to walk uphill on glass when they execute a reload. To seriously approach the matter of reloading a revolver under stress, I had to completely start from scratch. The motions and fine motor skills are just so different. Using something like a Speed Strip (IF it's an option, caliber wise) can be faster, if you practice, but it's not something that I would have been able to do under stress from the get go.

There's a guy at the monthly action pistol shoot I go to (it's an ICORE match) that can reload his 8-shooter AT LEAST as fast as most guys can reload their semi-autos. Pretty entertaining to watch.

I need glass. I've been looking into (finally) putting an optic on my 700 VTR. (It took me a while to convince the wife to allow me use of the funds, and I became distracted by changing jobs in the last couple of months.) So it's about time to cough up the dough for at least a decent scope. I'm mainly looking to use the rifle for medium-ish range work, out to around 700-800yd or so, using (more or less) standard 168gr BTHP .308 rounds.

Anyone have recommendations? I'm not trying to completely break the bank

What does "not...break the bank" mean? And how much magnification do you want? I ask because there's a steal of a deal on a IOR 3-18x Mil/Mil FFP scope on a site I frequent and I've been eye-balling it for not other reason then to get it and then put it on a gun down the road (that I don't own). I have an IOR 2.5-10 Mil/Mil FFP on my Noveske SPR-ish gun and have been very happy with it other than a few minor preferences on the reticule. I personally prefer Mil/Mil (and FFP has just spoiled me), so that's why I've been looking at it.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
So I'm a member at a club that shoots pistols and rifles, but it's main base is shotgunners. They've started up with a 3-gun competition and also have a really nice 5 stand setup. I keep getting asked if I'm going to come out and shoot "Tactical Shotgun" or 3-gun and I don't really have a good reason to come out. All I have is a cheap sporting goods pump 20-gauge I inherited from my grandfather years ago that I've shot before, but don't really do anything with now (thinking about unloading it...I could probably get $100-150 for it).

Meanwhile, a local vendor in town has a sale going on and they're selling 18" Benelli Nova 12 GA for $400. This seems like a reasonable deal and I'm wondering if this is a decent all-around shotgun to get. I'm not very smart on shotguns. There's a guy at the same range that has a Remmy 1100 for sale for ~$600, but I've "heard" the Benelli semi-auto system is a little cleaner. So... Not that I need another gun right now, but what say you, all, that are in the know?

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
I'd like to stay in the 1k-1.3k-ish max end for something that tops out at about 14-16x. I'd be alright with a fixed 10x mil dot. I know that opens up the field a bit among what I would consider the mid-range for optics, and rules out quite a few higher tier brands. But I had to spring for a new stock, and don't feel like getting cut by the 'Rican--er, wife.

The 1100 action is beloved by many, but I've had better luck with other semiauto shotguns. Mine tends to be temperamental WRT to ammo, and FTE's. My Mossberg 930SPX was cheaper, but rocks. I've had great experiences using others' FN SLP, too.

Fast? How's this for fast?