• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Seeking advice on that first handgun or next weapon purchase? Ask AW!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I'd like to stay in the 1k-1.3k-ish max end for something that tops out at about 14-16x. I'd be alright with a fixed 10x mil dot. I know that opens up the field a bit among what I would consider the mid-range for optics, and rules out quite a few higher tier brands. But I had to spring for a new stock, and don't feel like getting cut by the 'Rican--er, wife.

The IOR I mentioned, or a lessor magnification, may be up your alley. The Viper PSTs seem to have a really good rep, as well.

The 1100 action is beloved by many, but I've had better luck with other semiauto shotguns. Mine tends to be temperamental WRT to ammo, and FTE's. My Mossberg 930SPX was cheaper, but rocks. I've had great experiences using others' FN SLP, too.

Funny, they're selling a 930SPX for a decent price, too. ($630). Less rounds than the Benelli, interestingly enough.

Fast? How's this for fast?

Not a valid example. Jerry closes his eyes and shoots and still breaks records. (can't find a good YT link).

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Paid a visit to Bud's brick/mortar store this afternoon, and they're pushing the Vortex line pretty hard. A FFP Viper PST in 4-16x runs about 1/2 of what a similar Leupold Mk4 would be. Seems solidly built, but there is some negative press floating around about off axis reticles, incorrect windage adjustment ranges, etc. Generally, though, it does seem positive, and Bud's has a decent price. Care to share any gouge on that IOR?

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Paid a visit to Bud's brick/mortar store this afternoon, and they're pushing the Vortex line pretty hard. A FFP Viper PST in 4-16x runs about 1/2 of what a similar Leupold Mk4 would be.

Are you a member of promotive? Leupold's military pricing is about 2/3 retail cost. I just picked up an illuminated reticle M3 LRT 3.5-10 for less than a grand.

sodajones

Combat Engineer
217760_3568256166827_1813020130_n.jpg

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Looking at the Walther PK380 for Mrs. Pickle for CC in Florida (for those of you familiar with our recent familial issues, it isn't an issue, my S&W .357 was loaded and not used) I like the fact that itis ambidextrous (she is one of those crazy left-handers) and the safety reminds me of the Berretta 9mm we use for qual's. I am worried about some of the reviews regarding jamming and FTF's, however they seem to be ammo specific. Anyone have any experience with this handgun? I know Bunk bought one for his wife/daughter last year, just want the inputs from the herd before we drop about $350 on a handgun.
Pickle

exNavyOffRec

Looking at the Walther PK380 for Mrs. Pickle for CC in Florida (for those of you familiar with our recent familial issues, it isn't an issue, my S&W .357 was loaded and not used) I like the fact that itis ambidextrous (she is one of those crazy left-handers) and the safety reminds me of the Berretta 9mm we use for qual's. I am worried about some of the reviews regarding jamming and FTF's, however they seem to be ammo specific. Anyone have any experience with this handgun? I know Bunk bought one for his wife/daughter last year, just want the inputs from the herd before we drop about $350 on a handgun.
Pickle

Oddly enough on Wednesday I was talking to the mom of one of my daughters friend, we were talking about guns and she said she just rec'd her walther PK380 back, it was being fixed because it would keep jamming, she hasn't fired it yet to see if the problem is fixed though.

Have you thought about a S&W M&P or Springfield XD/XDM subcompact?

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Pickle

If you insist on using .380, take a look at the LCP. Ruger has been putting out some solid work of late, and the LCP / LC9 / LCR family is a decent place to start with a CCW.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
My daughter has an LCP to augment her S&W M&P Compact and it's been a good pistol so far. She loves her M&P too.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Thanks for the input guys,
The limiting factor is the fact that Mrs. Pickle is left-handed. Not willing to pay a shit-ton for after market mods, especially for a CCW. Just need something that is easy to pull and shoot (which it is) and is dependable (I have to see) and is affordable (which it is) and the wife likes (which she does.) My biggest concern is the dependability piece, and I think finding the right ammunition and the right load will help.

Not really sold on any size ammunition, bigger than a .22, smaller than a .45, leaves me with pretty much .38, .380, 9mm, .40, or some weird ass size in between (.32, .25) that I don't want to deal with. I did have to wipe the drool marks from the .500 she saw behind the glass, she made the guy pull the box of rounds out to see them, I think he said they were like 290 grain or maybe bigger...looked like fucking small artillery rounds for a handgun.

But I digress. Any preferences on CC holster positions (male vs. female) I know I am looking for an IWB either front or back that can hide under a t-shirt/sweatshirt. Mrs. Pickle seems to want to hide it "under her boobs, over her belly fat" or else a shoulder sling, not really built to carry on the hip/waist. Any of you women out there have any suggestions? I don't think the purse is an option.
Thanks,
Pickle

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
This is a possible solution Pickle. (by the way the weapon you described above sounds a lot like a revolver to me)