• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Seeking advice on that first handgun or next weapon purchase? Ask AW!

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
I own an XD in .45 with a 4" barrel. I occasionally compete with it, but carry it less frequently than I used to. IMO, it points quite naturally, and you can't really beat 13+1 of .45ACP. I have shot the 9mm version, as well.
I've never messed with the 250, but I have a couple Sigs, and I just shot production in a USPSA match with my 229SAS last weekend. It's a different beast than some other Sigs, to include my 220, and not just the cosmetic (and functional 'melt' for reduced snag potential). The trigger is, I find, somewhat more refined than some of the stock Sigs that I've shot. A bunch of the limited division folks last weekend couldn't believe I was shooting that well with such a relatively small pistol.

I carry a stainless Pro Carry II on pretty much a daily basis, and I'm generally a fan of Kimber. I was considering one of their Ultra Carry models. I like your Colt recommendation, too, and for the exact reason you stated: I don't have one. Anyone have any thoughts on a Nighthawk Custom, or Ed Brown?

Pugs

Back from the range
None
I carry a stainless Pro Carry II on pretty much a daily basis, and I'm generally a fan of Kimber. I was considering one of their Ultra Carry models. I like your Colt recommendation, too, and for the exact reason you stated: I don't have one. Anyone have any thoughts on a Nighthawk Custom, or Ed Brown?

Also consider http://www.fusionfirearms.com/ my brother has one of their Fusion Grand Sports and it's about as nice pistol as I've ever handled. Ed Brown and Nighthawk certainly have good reps too but I've never shot one.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Damn. I've been lusting after a bobtailed commander style pistol for a while now, and there are some great looking guns on that site. What's the fit like on your brother's? Tight, custom gun fit, or with some engineered play to allow for more 'dirt tolerance'?

I think you may have just become my wife's new arch-nemesis, so be wary of any 'Rican girls at your door. They'll probably have knives.

that mike guy

JSUPT primary @ VAFB, Enid, OK
@allamerican

I have an XD sub compact (3" barre) in .40 and love it. It's a great carry gun and with the extended mag it feels just like the service model in your hand. I ended up paying about $480 for the gun, 2 mags (9+1 and 12+1 w/ grip extender), extras, and case after all my transfer fees (Birmingham, AL through a sheriff who maintains an FFL). The only real negative thing I can think of is that because it is a 3" barrel and a .40, the recoil is quite snappy when compared to my friends .45 with a 4" barrel. It's by no means hard to control, but takes a round or 2 to get used to.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Damn. I've been lusting after a bobtailed commander style pistol for a while now, and there are some great looking guns on that site. What's the fit like on your brother's? Tight, custom gun fit, or with some engineered play to allow for more 'dirt tolerance'?

Tight - I'd say little tolerance for rolling around in the mud but I've never had a stoppage when I've shot it and that's been with ball and some light 185 gr SWC I like to load. He has a compact Kimber too and it's darn nice but not in the same league but they are nowhere close in price either.

I think you may have just become my wife's new arch-nemesis, so be wary of any 'Rican girls at your door. They'll probably have knives.

Ain't skeered. Oh wait, Rican? Ummmm, yea, I'm scared. :icon_smil

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
So am I. Why do you think I married her?

I don't plan on doing much, if any, rolling in the mud with my toys these days, but you never know. Well, minus the occasional pistol and/or rifle course that is. I do think that it plays into the overall 'soul' of the gun, though. Maybe a good analogy is supercharged Detroit muscle v. Italian supercar? Both are going to get you there in a hurry, but in vastly different ways.

My Kimber is nice, but you're right, their factory guns (I haven't messed with anything from their custom shop) are just not in the same league as some of the truly custom shops. My uncle has an Ed Brown Special Forces that he keeps trying to unload on me, but we just haven't been able to cross paths over the last few years to make it happen. I'm in CONUS, he's OCONUS, or vice-versa. Can't beat the price he's asking (it's supposed to be my wedding gift from 2006), but I'm still after getting something else. After all, how many guns is enough? One more.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor

I have an Ed Brown Special Forces. It's a beautiful handgun and I'd buy another without a second thought. Even though it is very accurate and reliable I don't shoot it much. It's the only weapon I own that I consider "too pretty to shoot". If I bought another one I'd buy stainless and shoot the hell out of it.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
So, I'm just getting into pistol shooting and have been looking into something in 9mm and I am considering either the SIG p250 or Springfield XD. I want something reliable that can work well for IDPA and IPSC stuff. I'm leaning towards the XD because of the package deal with three mags, holster, mag holder, and loader and the fact that it has generally good reviews as a reliable and rugged weapon and a good starter pistol. But I've also found a great price on a SIG p250 and everyone who I've known who's ever fired a SIG has had nothing but good things to say; the only caveat being that to get the necessary mags and stuff for IDPA competition I'd have to shell out a considerable amount of money. Also, the chief complaint I've heard about the SIG is that the trigger pull on the double action is a bit wonky. The weapons I'm considering are below:

CheaperThanDirt -- Springfield XD 9mm 4" barrel

CheaperThanDirt -- SIG p250 compact 9mm 3.9" barrel

My questions are:
1) What is your opinion on either weapon?
2) Are the prices at CTD fair or should I keep looking?
3) Can anyone recommend a good range bag, I'm in the market for one?

I've always used www.budsgunshop.com as my standard for prices. I try to reference how much it would cost me to get it from there when dealing with the local shops....has worked pretty well so far.

I've shot an full size XD 45 and loved it. Springfield keeps adding new stuff to the XD line to make them more attractive to the new buyer, so i don't blame you for being interested. I handled a P250 for the first time yesterday and liked it a lot. I think it's a little more beafy than the XD and you only get one mag with it...but you can change calibers/grip sizes with it if you want.

I think they are both good choices for first time guns, but buying extra mags for Sigs is always expensive ($36+) but Sig always makes a high quality product.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
To be fair, XD mags aren't that cheap, either. I ran my XD in a USPSA match a few months ago, and realized that I was a few magazines short of what I like to take to a match. Ol' Ray's boys (at the one place that actually had them in stock) took me to the cleaners.

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
I've owned an XD now for almost 3 years. I've loved every minute of it. I've fired a little over a thousand rounds of all kinds of ammunition through it, from the cheap wolf, to more expensive brands. I've never had a failure to fire or a failure to eject (call me lucky?). As you mentioned, the fact that it came with the two magazines was a plus for me. My suggestion to you would be to head down to your local gun shop and see if you can't get your hands on them and get a feel for them. I'm also an advocate of spending locally if possible. If the difference is less than $20-30, I'd say buy at your local gun shop, but that's just me.

If you're looking for magazines, every FN pistol I've purchased has come with 3 magazines, and I've been infinitely satisfied with my FNP 9mm and my FN Five Seven.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
(magazines) ... aren't that cheap ... Ol' Ray's boys (at the one place that actually had them in stock) took me to the cleaners.
Cry me a river. I just paid over $300 EACH for a couple of VERY hard-to-get magazines. I'm just coming out of recovery now ...

The only way I could justify it was: if you can't get 'em ... then what are they worth to you ???

Plus ... I probably spend $300/day @ Starbucks ... :)

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
$300/day at Starbucks? I used to mainline the stuff, and I never even came close.

Dare I ask what those magazines were for?

I read a few informal reviews on another site about some Fusion 1911s, and I have to say that they're looking like a strong candidate.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
... Anyone have any thoughts on a Nighthawk Custom...?
I've got a Larry Vickers Nighthawk Custom, equipped thusly:

larryvickersnighthawk.jpg

·Caspian Slide and Frame
· Front Grasping Grooves - Caspian Enhanced National Match Style

· Ball end mill relief cut on front sides of slide

· 5 inch Match Grade Barrel and Bushing - crown of muzzle flush with bushing

· Low Mount Novak 3-dot Tritium Night Sights

· Dovetail Front Sight - serrated and roll pinned in place

· Vickers/Yam Hard Use Trigger

· 25 LPI Checkered Frontstrap

· Integral Tactical Magwell

· Flat Mainspring Housing, checkered with a recessed lanyard loop

· Integral Plunger Tube

· Spare fitted extractor

· Top of Slide Serrated

· Rear of Slide Serrated - 40 LPI

· Beavertail grip safety with pad for positive disengagement

· Match hammer

· 4 lb trigger pull

· Slotted grip screws

· "Coyote Brown" Strider gunner grips custom fitted with beveled edges

· Carry bevel package

· Visual 'on fire' indicator

· Extended Thumb Safety

· Tactical Extended Mag Release

· Reliability Package to Vickers Tactical specs

· Black Permacoat finish

· Vickers Tactical logo range bag
. Two 8-round magazines, test target, Certificate of Authenticity (I later ponied up for 6 more magazines and another set of grips ... )

It is as smooth & sweet & user-friendly (and accurate) as any match-grade 1911 I've ever shot. Very durable finish, too. All in all, one great pistol for virtually any use.

It was retailing for @ $3300 when I got mine. I scored on an online auction and did considerably better than that -- @ $2300 in 100% NIB condition.

If you have the means ... I highly recommend picking one up ... :)
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I have to ask. . . what weapon was it for?
Chinese Norinco NDM-86 (Soviet SVD clone) in .308 ... and that was the problem, as the .308 magazines are very, very hard to come by as a 'spare' separate from the rifle ... 7.62 mm X 54 magazines are readily available and @ 1/5 the cost of the .308.