• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Seeking advice on that first handgun or next weapon purchase? Ask AW!

gonad

I'm a big fan of HK... have an HK .45 USP SA/DA and it has never had a single hint of a malfunction in about 8500rds .. have a glock too... very simple, but I'll take the HK any day. That new HK45 is supposed to be something - but I still won't trade my USP for it -tried and true.. maybe someday.

But guns are kinda like girlfriends, some may like different shapes and sizes but you should go with something that performs (and performs well) everytime you need it to.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
I was in the local gun shop the other day, just perusing (I can't pass a gun shop without stopping---literally). I was considering buying a Glock 20 because I've always wanted a 10mm, but then discovered that I can just buy a used G20 upper and it'll slide right into my G21SF frame. Sweet.

So I moved on to the other cases. Sig, HK, etc. I remembered what Bevo said about the S&W M&P .40, and I've always wanted a .40, so I tried it on . It felt nice. If (ok ok, when) I buy one it is going to take some getting used to with the vastly different grip angle from the Glock, but I like it---it's on the list. Then I came to the 1911 case. It's been a while since I've shot a 1911 and I think I've fallen back in love. What classic lines! It just screams business. I want.

*Cue A4s to post a sexy 1911 pic and a line about apple pies and Chevrolet*:D

Bevo16

pilot
I broke out the Colt 1911 for my range trip today. What a fantastic weapon. I have had it a year and probably only put 400 or so rounds through it. I am going to ramp that pace way up.

OBTW,

I backed up that lesson in "you get what you pay for" with a bit of my own stupidity. At the last local gun show I picked up some 8 round 1911 mags for $10 each. They suck. One totally disables the weapon and prevents the slide from going back. It took all of my gorilla strength applied directly to the mag release button to get the damn thing out. The other one works, but is a stubborn bastard to lock into place. From this point out I am not buying anything 1911 related that does not have COLT stamped on it.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
1911 magazines? I nabbed a couple Cerberus Tactical mags from a friend of mine. Hands down, the best I've used. The guy who founded the company left Wilson because he thought their QA sucked, and he wanted to make a better product.

http://www.p3llc.com/

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
Thread resurrection - how's that P30 holding up? I decided this weekend sometime during my double sims to shelf or sell my P229 DAK for a P30 LEM. The DAK trigger is smooth and consistent but the pull and reset are damned long, and I figured I'd upgrade before sinking money into accessories like holsters and sights.

Bevo16

pilot
OK, thread resurrection time. I figured that I would post what is probably the finished product. The scope, rings, mount, were not cheap but I am rockin and rollin now.

Attachments

• coleandm1a.JPG
    coleandm1a.JPG
    761.2 KB · Views: 63
  • arms#18.JPG
    arms#18.JPG
    802.8 KB · Views: 53
  • txm1a.JPG
    txm1a.JPG
    761.3 KB · Views: 88

sodajones

Combat Engineer
Very nice set up. They are a money pit but I'll be damned if they're not one of the most satisfying weapons to shoot on this green earth.

I've heard epoxying carbon fiber arrow shafts inside the synthetic stock does a really good job of stiffening up the forearm area.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
God how I love M1A's. You put together a fine one. Someday your son will proudly show that weapon to all of his friends. He'll tell them how it was his dad's and how you taught him to shoot it. He'll never forget the day you pass it down to him. God willing your grandson will do the same. It just doesn't get any better than that.

Short term I'm thinking Bambi is in deep shit.........

phrogpilot73

On an unrelated side note - your son looks great! Good call on your current billet... As you say - the big grey whirly birds can't hug you back...

Gasman

If your looking for the AR platform in the 7.62x39 (AK47 round), get on the double star web site and look at their rifles. I just got one, in the patrol configuration, for around 1200. Quality (fit, finish and function) is outstanding. 3 days from placing the order to receiving the weapon. The only thing it lacks is a red dot aiming system. Call and talk to them. One of the builders spent 40 min on the phone with me talking options, etc. Their not one of the big name outfits but you get a superb weapon for an excellent price.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Back from the dead...

With this year being the 1911 centennial (along with the centennial of something else that I...can't...quite...remember), I'm considering either buying, or building myself another 1911. If I buy, I would likely steer away from any of the obvious 'centennial editions' that are already flying around out there, as I'd be less likely to actually carry/use it, and that goes against my gun buyin' philosophy. The latter effort would be a joint one with a friend who is much, much more skilled in those regards, and would give us a chance to evade the woman folk for a couple days a week, while building a pistol for each of us.

I think that I'd be willing to spend up to around $2k for the pistol if I bought, so I wouldn't be looking at anything really, really crazy. I have a couple in mind, but I was curious what y'all might have to say.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
So, I'm just getting into pistol shooting and have been looking into something in 9mm and I am considering either the SIG p250 or Springfield XD. I want something reliable that can work well for IDPA and IPSC stuff. I'm leaning towards the XD because of the package deal with three mags, holster, mag holder, and loader and the fact that it has generally good reviews as a reliable and rugged weapon and a good starter pistol. But I've also found a great price on a SIG p250 and everyone who I've known who's ever fired a SIG has had nothing but good things to say; the only caveat being that to get the necessary mags and stuff for IDPA competition I'd have to shell out a considerable amount of money. Also, the chief complaint I've heard about the SIG is that the trigger pull on the double action is a bit wonky. The weapons I'm considering are below:

CheaperThanDirt -- Springfield XD 9mm 4" barrel

CheaperThanDirt -- SIG p250 compact 9mm 3.9" barrel

My questions are:
1) What is your opinion on either weapon?
2) Are the prices at CTD fair or should I keep looking?
3) Can anyone recommend a good range bag, I'm in the market for one?