• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Seeking advice on that first handgun or next weapon purchase? Ask AW!

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Well, what what would you be using this gun for? Target shooting? Home defense? Concealed carry? The mission defines the equipment. My first gun was a Springfield XD Tactical in .45 ACP. I bought the gun mainly for home defense; but you won't catch me trying to use it for concealed carry unless it's 30 below outside.

Also, for a personal sidearm, you're going to want to spend more than $300. Trust me. I recommend you buy something new- you never know how the previous owner of a firearm treated it, and you can't put a price on safety and peace of mind you get from a quality sidearm. I spent a little over $400 on my XD and it's better than any Glock (yes, my opinion, but others on here will certainly agree.)

Well, what what would you be using this gun for? Target shooting? Home defense? Concealed carry? The mission defines the equipment. My first gun was a Springfield XD Tactical in .45 ACP. I bought the gun for home defense; but you won't catch me trying to use it for concealed carry unless it's 30 below outside.

Also, for a personal sidearm, you're going to want to spend more than $300. Trust me. I recommend you buy something new- you never know how the previous owner of a firearm treated it, and you can't put a price on safety and peace of mind you get from a quality sidearm.

That's a good point. I'm planning on buying this after OCS so I should at least have $400, though from the posts I've read it doesn't sound like I'll have much more.

I guess the mission would be a bit of a mixed one. It will be for target shooting for sure but also home defense. I don't plan on carrying it on a regular basis, though I will apply for a concealed weapon permit of course.

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
Or you could get a man's weapon. Sig P226 in 9mm, factory reconditioned for ~ $450. I purchased mine in 2004 and have NEVER had a problem of any kind. No jamming, no FTF, nothing. Prepare to be delighted in your purchases if you pick one of these up.

sig_226_2tone.jpg

navy09

None
Shooting is a fairly expensive hobby, so be ready to spend some money. After the gun you have to buy ammo and range time. If you want to CCW, you have to shell out for a holster/gear and the permit itself. That initial purchase is going to be way way way more than $300-400.

Either way, don't worry too much about the money, it's worth it if shooting is something you think you'll enjoy.

I don't plan on carrying it on a regular basis, though I will apply for a concealed weapon permit of course.

Why not?

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
If you're just trying to get a feel for handguns and learn how to shoot properly and will be shooting a lot, get a cheap .22 pistol. Ammo is really cheap and you can learn all the fundementals of good shooting before you invest in a bigger more costly gun.

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
If you're just trying to get a feel for handguns and learn how to shoot properly and will be shooting a lot, get a cheap .22 pistol. Ammo is really cheap and you can learn all the fundementals of good shooting before you invest in a bigger more costly gun.

Have a solution for that too, although not that cheap. :) Sig Mosquito, the coolest .22 handgun...ever.
sig_mosquito.gif

Achilles

That dog won't hunt, Monsignor!
pilot
Have a solution for that too, although not that cheap. :) Sig Mosquito, the coolest .22 handgun...ever.
sig_mosquito.gif

Or even better is the route I'm going. Sig is now making the 226 chambered in .22, and with the handgun they include a coupon for $400 which will let you upgrade to .357 or .40. So for $500 you can get a high quality .22 for practice shooting and eventually spend another $400 and get the .357 or .40 for home defense.

Renegade One

None

+1 on what Slammer said. A brand new Ruger Mk III semi-auto pistol with adjustable sights and a bull barrel is well within your current budget. It's just as much fun to go shooting with a $2.00 box of ammo as it is to go shooting with a $20.00 box.

V/R, Spike

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor