• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Seeking advice on that first handgun or next weapon purchase? Ask AW!

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Yea I asked him if he thought that was jumping the gun a bit... And if I was getting one it would probably be a CPO that I could shoot the hell out of. I'm not really in to the whole engraving thing...

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
well today my room mate found a couple of Sig P225 refurbished, they used to be german police issue, for 260 a piece. Throw in the 20 bucks to the guy for the FFL and ordering. I'm not sure if they have the Sig manufacturers used certification on them or not. and now i'm torn on what i should order... ofcourse i leave for OCS in 3 weeks, so i'll just wait until i'm done, then buy both!!!

If they are the same ones that I was taking a look at, they only come with 10 round magazines in 9mm. I am sure they will function reliably, but who wants a 9mm with only a 10 round capacity?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My personal gut feeling is that for most life-or-death situations an armed citizen would face, it's gonna be over long before you get to that 8th round. But I suppose you never know.

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
What if you get in a gunfight with these guys?
agentsmith.jpg

Or zombies? What then?

shaun-of-the-dead-zombies-small.jpg

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
My personal gut feeling is that for most life-or-death situations an armed citizen would face, it's gonna be over long before you get to that 8th round. But I suppose you never know.

That's what a second mag's for. If I have to use a third, I'm taking the BG's gun(s).

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Shortly after I bought my safe, I stocked up on ammo for every caliber in my possession. I then realized that should I ever make the news for some firearm-related malfeasance, I would immediately be looped in with the nutcases for having "over a thousand rounds of ammunition in my home."

That particular angle in news stories always irked the crap out of me, anyway. But that moment really drove it home how prosaic it is for a gun collector to have that much, total, sitting around at any given time. Someone needs to explain to the clueless reporters that the Sam's Club principle applies to ammo, too!

Lawman

None
Shortly after I bought my safe, I stocked up on ammo for every caliber in my possession. I then realized that should I ever make the news for some firearm-related malfeasance, I would immediately be looped in with the nutcases for having "over a thousand rounds of ammunition in my home."

That particular angle in news stories always irked the crap out of me, anyway. But that moment really drove it home how prosaic it is for a gun collector to have that much, total, sitting around at any given time. Someone needs to explain to the clueless reporters that the Sam's Club principle applies to ammo, too!

Thats exactly what my mother asked me when they stored my guns and gear while I was away.

"How many bullets are there?"

"About 6000 rounds in various calibers."

"Oh My Lord!"

"Mom.... 3000 of those fit in this one box right here because they are little .22 long rifle rounds. Now the 1000+ rounds of 5.56mm that might attract some attention."

fox2102

Thinking of buying an M1 Garand

I was at the local pawn shop the other day and found a M1 Garand that was in pretty good condition. It looked a little dirty and wore out but it was shootable. He said all he really knew about it's history was that it was rebarreled in 1944. He is asking $700 for it and I was planing on putting some money down on it this afternoon but i wanted to ask you guys if you thought it was a good buy.

Redux

I was at the local pawn shop the other day and found a M1 Garand that was in pretty good condition. It looked a little dirty and wore out but it was shootable. He said all he really knew about it's history was that it was rebarreled in 1944. He is asking $700 for it and I was planing on putting some money down on it this afternoon but i wanted to ask you guys if you thought it was a good buy.

What does the bore look like? Wood, springs, parkerizing, erosion on both ends VERY important ect? Plus from my experiences with hock shops (I have gotten many good deals) is they are VERY negotiable in most cases. $700.00 sounds like it might be high but it might not be, depends on what you call "wear". What manufacture is it, Springfield, H&R or.........?