• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Seeking advice on that first handgun or next weapon purchase? Ask AW!

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
My recommendation.....whatever pistol fits your hand best. Don't even worry about the brand till you actually hold several pistols. If it fits, I'm a huge fan of H&K, but the most important thing,

GET ONE THAT FITS!!!!

utak

My recommendation.....whatever pistol fits your hand best. Don't even worry about the brand till you actually hold several pistols. If it fits, I'm a huge fan of H&K, but the most important thing,

GET ONE THAT FITS!!!!

+1. A pistol is supposed to be an extension of your hand, get one that fits like a glove.

*cough cough* SIG :)

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
+1. A pistol is supposed to be an extension of your hand, get one that fits like a glove.

*cough cough* SIG :)

I second the recommendation of a SIG as far as fit goes. Very balanced pistols. A little high in price for me but eventually I'll have one.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
I second the recommendation of a SIG as far as fit goes. Very balanced pistols. A little high in price for me but eventually I'll have one.

Buy CPO; I can't imagine paying new prices for a Sig, even though by now I've put $500 of work (functional improvements, not cosmetic or repairs) into a $300 used Sig.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
^^^^I've got a Red-Band Sig. Nearly 1000 rounds through it, since I bought it-no complaints.

. . .except when I was trying to carry it concealed. A P220 is way too big for that.

Looks like I'll just need to buy another gun. . .:icon_tong

BEEF54

As a police officer I would suggest a the XD but a .45, It's what I carry on duty. If your going to have to use a gun you may as well shoot something that will stop them. I have not had that many problems with jamming and when it does happen, it is ussualy the shooters fault and not the gun unless you get a bad one. YOu just need to take care of you things and keep it clean. It has a lot of features that other guns don't that make it easy to use.

I had two of them, both broke firing pins after the first ~100rds

m0tbaillie

Former SWO
WATCH OUT !!! m0t want a gun ...

I've been thinking about buying a pistol/rifle of some sort. I fired a gun for the first time this past summer (some shotgun and my grandpa's pistol) and I'd kinda like to take gun safety lessons and maybe buy one of each (like a rifle and a pistol) to practice with.

Suggestions?

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
Yea, I've been thinking about buying a pistol/rifle of some sort. I fired a gun for the first time this past summer (some shotgun and my grandpa's pistol) and I'd kinda like to take gun safety lessons and maybe buy one of each (like a rifle and a pistol) to practice with.

Suggestions?

For a pistol I'd suggest a used Glock 21.

It won't break your bank and it's fun to shoot.

Rifles are another thing. There's too long a list and I don't have any suggestions for a rookie shooter that wants a something to start out with. But if you want to learn how to shoot....learning on a .22 ain't a bad place to start. Cheap to shoot.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
For a pistol I'd suggest a used Glock 21....
Naaaaa ... too big of a grip and a shit trigger for a "firstie" ... but in the interest of full disclosure: I don't like the GLOCKs in general even though I've owned several in the past ... :)

I think we've got some threads on here re: "first" guns or similar suggestions.

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
Naaaaa ... too big of a grip and a shit trigger for a "firstie" ... but in the interest of full disclosure: I don't like the GLOCKs in general even though I've owned several in the past ... :)

I think we've got some threads on here re: "first" guns or similar suggestions.

Good point we wouldn't want a noob to limp wrist the .45

http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=144629

That's a thread for pistol suggestions.

navy09

None
I don't like the GLOCKs in general even though I've owned several in the past ... :)

Bah. There are too many Glock haters on here. The Glock is a good "starter gun" for a number of reasons and I'd recommend that you look into it.

In all fairness, do your own research- read reviews, talk to friends who own guns, then take a trip to the local range to rent and shoot a few makes/models.

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
Bah. There are too many Glock haters on here. The Glock is a good "starter gun" for a number of reasons and I'd recommend that you look into it.

In all fairness, do your own research- read reviews, talk to friends who own guns, then take a trip to the local range to RENT and shoot a few makes/models.

Great advice right there. I second that.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Bah. There are too many Glock haters on here. The Glock is a good "starter gun" for a number of reasons ...

Naaaaaaa ... not a "hater" ... it's just that I don't like 'em and I can "do better". I've still got a -19 as a throwaway gun .. :)

And having taught many firearms courses
as a certified rifle/pistol instructor over the past 20 years, w/ hundreds of students notches "on my gun", I can attest that a GLOCK is a less than great "starter gun" ..

Each to his own ... I don't care what you use.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
To each his own. I have a Glock 23. Its definately not my "favorite" gun but I am good with it and carry it often.

Back to the thread:

I want one. Just because.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
I have two Glocks. Not the most accurate or pretty pistols, but they are simple, reliable, and idiot proof. I like things that are idiot proof.

I have a stainless S&W Model 59 back at home, and it is a great target shooter. It's 9mm, accurate, and looks the part. BUT it's not something I'd like to carry, for two reasons: When firing SA, it has a hair trigger. And the weapon will not fire if you remove the magazine, even if there is a round in the chamber. But for a target weapon it's fantastic!