• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Seeking advice on that first handgun or next weapon purchase? Ask AW!

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
I've been doing some shooting at a local club lately. I don't own a gun because 1) I'm not old enough and 2) I can't legally keep one where I live.

Anyway, I can rent whatever gun I want and shoot for the price of ammo. I've been shooting a .40 Springfield XD, which I really liked except that it kept jamming, and also shot a .38 S&W revolver that was really nice. I prefer the semi-auto handguns though.

Any tips/advice/favorite handguns that I should try? Any must shoot guns? They've got a lot of guns there for rent so whatever you suggest they'll probably have. I'm new to handguns (shot a fair amount of long guns in my life but not handguns) so I'm just looking for what you guys suggest. Down the road I'll probably buy one eventually so I'd like to get a feel for some good ones.

Glock 21. http://www.glock.com/english/index_pistols.htm

As far as that .40 Springfield XD jamming on you. A common problem among pistol shooters related to that issue is the shooter not holding the pistol properly e.g. loose grip.

Now I'm not saying death-grip it but keep it firm so if someone came up and slammed you in your forearm it's not going to tumble out of your hand.

navy09

None
+1 on the Glock. I own one and love it. It's also good for someone who doesn't know a ton about firearms. They are easy to maintain, modify, etc. They also come in a variety of calibers and sizes, so try a few out to figure out which you like.

As Lazers said, they (and XDs) tend to jam with new shooters. Commonly referred to as "limp wristing." Usually stops after about 50 rounds though.

When you turn 21, pick up a Glock and a CCW permit. Also, if you're living in the dorms as a junior, you need to get out now!

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
S&W .357 Magnum Revolvers are my favorite...always have been, always will be. Gotta have one.

+1 on the 686. Love that gun.

Someday I'll have my own. . .someday. . .

Oh, and if you're just screwing around shooting guns, NOT buying, I'd go wild and shoot the oddballs. Desert Eagle in Action Express, Mac 10, etc.

rare21

pilot
Contributor
I'm not a big gun guy, but I like my service issued Glock 22 and my old service pistol an H&K .40 caliber. both seem pretty accurate, either that or i'm a good shot. ;)

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Rent and shoot more variety if you can. You are already on the right track in trying out many different types of pistols. Nothing wrong with picking up a used pistol as your first. If you find a good deal, jump on it and enjoy it.

Do you have a price range? That matters a lot when looking for a gun!

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
I always recommend HK if you can afford them, if not S&W has a new M&P pistols out that I have heard great things about. I haven't got my hands on one yet, but from everything I have heard they are at least worth a look.

I would also recommend looking into a 1911. There about about a million manufactures out there and they are great guns. Some can get expensive but there are also some good ones out there for about the price of a Glock. The Springfield re-issue comes to mind. Along those lines might want to look into the Browning HiPower.

HeloBubba

SH-2F AW
Contributor
I agree with statesman about 1911. I have one made by llama which I bought in 1985. Not too expensive, not too cheap. I have put plenty of rounds through this weapon over the last 20+ years. Still works like a champ. May need a new barrel soon, though...

BEEF54

I have had several Glocks, great all around gun, i had no problem carring even the full size modle 22 for my CCW weapon, also had a paraord p12, (compact double stack .45) GREAT weapon. Now i have a HK USP .40 compact LEM. This is definatly my favorite so far, some people dont like the LEM trigger on the HK but i really like it. definatly cant go wrong with Glock or HK, best advice though is rent a few and see what fits you best

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Revolvers may misfire, but they will not misfeed. Which is why one of my post-deployment purchases will be a S&W Nightguard 325. (Something about a .45 ACP revolver--moonclips and all--just sounds very, very right to me.)

The best handgun to own/use, as many of the Learned Gentlemen have pointed out on this sight before, is the one that you will be able to reliably employ if required. Part of that equation is to find a handgun that fits both your hands and your needs, so take Nozeman's advice and rent/shoot as many types/models as possible.

If you are looking for a 1911 with lots of features for less cash, the Taurus PT1911 might be right up your alley. I don't own one, but I have shot it a few times. And Taurus really has something there, as you get quite a lot for your money. I have heard and read some gripes about the extractor, but that's about it.

Once you have the pistol, though, it's practice, practice, practice that ensures you know how to use it. A CCW class, even if you don't intend to carry, is also a good idea, as they cover the particulars for using deadly force in your particular state.

jbuck387

Gene Police: You!! Out Of The Pool!
pilot
I bought a S&W M&P 9mm and I really love it! It shoots very smoothly, and I have good grouping with it. As far as the jamming with the XD, look at the ammo as well, with my M&P when I use remmington 9mm I always have jams, but if I buy Winchester 9mm (which is actually cheaper) I never NEVER have jams. Also I recommend getting a CCW permit, if your military in VA it's only $50 and you don't veen have to take a class. For my personal home defense though I got a Mossberg 500 tactical.

btlawson22

As a police officer I would suggest a the XD but a .45, It's what I carry on duty. If your going to have to use a gun you may as well shoot something that will stop them. I have not had that many problems with jamming and when it does happen, it is ussualy the shooters fault and not the gun unless you get a bad one. YOu just need to take care of you things and keep it clean. It has a lot of features that other guns don't that make it easy to use.